Recipes for Dummies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
That one's really good, I just polished off my second 30ml and mixed up my first 120ml of it. Went to 70vg this time, though, up from 60, and I'm worried that the flavor is a little muted -- hopefully it improves more with some aging, as it's still less than a week old.

I found the flavor lacking on this one too and made the following adjustment:

8% TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
6% TFA Strawberry Ripe
3% CAP Sweet Strawberry
1% TFA French Vanilla

I like my vapes sweet so I throw in 1% TFA Sweetener too :rolleyes:

Katcandoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2013
Georgia , USA
Question: I'm new to DIY. What percentage of a flavor should I use in a one flavor recipe? Because of chronic sinus issues, I don't pick up a lot of subtle flavors, so I want a bold juice. My staple juice is BWB malty toffee (which has sadly gone out of business, so I have an approximate recipe steeping). My mix it up favorite flavor is sour/fruity - lemon, blueberry, raspberry & grape. I have the flavors from DIYFS, but not sure on the % to mix. Help? Thanks!

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Question: I'm new to DIY. What percentage of a flavor should I use in a one flavor recipe? Because of chronic sinus issues, I don't pick up a lot of subtle flavors, so I want a bold juice. My staple juice is BWB malty toffee (which has sadly gone out of business, so I have an approximate recipe steeping). My mix it up favorite flavor is sour/fruity - lemon, blueberry, raspberry & grape. I have the flavors from DIYFS, but not sure on the % to mix. Help? Thanks!
Start at 5-10% and adjust to taste.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I think it depends on the flavoring brand too. I usually start out close to 10% with most tfa flavors but flavor west so far seems to need closer to the 13-15% range. At least that's what I'm finding. Most of my mixes end up 20-30% flavoring for multiple flavor recipes.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    All good tips, @Katcandoo , since we all taste things differently, and different flavor makers' products will perform best at different levels.

Keep in mind, too, that often the higher % of flavoring, the quicker the coil will gunk up. So you want to find a level that tastes good to you at the lowest % that satisfies your taste buds.

Walter Ego

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 20, 2013
    Wild West
    This is my morning vape, it kills cotton wicks but I really like it. I call it Moxie Milky Way after a favorite drink at a local coffee chain.

Espresso 8%
    Double Chocolate 5%
    Caramel Cappuccino 5%
    Sweetener 5%

I modified this recipe recently by substituting Erythritol for sweetener. It takes the heat and makes my wicks last longer without gunking up my coils.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
    I think I might take a stab at a Creme Brulee...

French Vanilla Creme (TFA) - 8%
    Caramel (TFA) - 4%
    Sweetener (TFA) -4%
    Brown Sugar (TFA) -2%

Please report back as to how you like it, sounds yummy. If you like it, I'll make it too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChelsB

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
    I found the flavor lacking on this one too and made the following adjustment:

8% TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
    6% TFA Strawberry Ripe
    3% CAP Sweet Strawberry
    1% TFA French Vanilla

I like my vapes sweet so I throw in 1% TFA Sweetener too :rolleyes:

I'm going to mix this one up today as I have all the ingredients!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    This is my morning vape, it kills cotton wicks but I really like it. I call it Moxie Milky Way after a favorite drink at a local coffee chain.

Espresso 8%
    Double Chocolate 5%
    Caramel Cappuccino 5%
    Sweetener 5%

I modified this recipe recently by substituting Erythritol for sweetener. It takes the heat and makes my wicks last longer without gunking up my coils.

What brand of flavors are you using?

PapawBrett

Retired
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    Please report back as to how you like it, sounds yummy. If you like it, I'll make it too!

Following Darth Omerta's advice, I mixed up a 100 drop test -
    French Vanilla Creme 8%
    Caramel 3%
    Sweetener 3%
    Brown Sugar 2%
    Not Bad, at all. Sweet, but mild.

clnire

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 15, 2013
    Florida
    I won a contest from DIY Flavor Shack. One of the flavors I got was Lemonberry Cream. Mixed 2 weeks ago, 100 drop test, 7% single flavor (Dawn suggested 5-8%). Dripped in a 510 atomizer, Wow, pretty darn good! Tried it again today, I might up the % by 1, but I think this is a keeper. Lemon, berries and cream. Nice balance of flavors on its own. Talk about simple!

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    Following Darth Omerta's advice, I mixed up a 100 drop test -
    French Vanilla Creme 8%
    Caramel 3%
    Sweetener 3%
    Brown Sugar 2%
    Not Bad, at all. Sweet, but mild.

I make 1 of Bill's recipes that takes both Sweetener and Brown Sugar, and I love the taste of the resulting eliquid. But, as far as gunking up coils & wicks...it's the quickest to do so. I've decided I'll definitely lower the % of those 2 ingredients for my next batch in a week or so.

You may find the same with the Sweetener @ 3% and Brown Sugar @ 2% in yours. Just a heads up that if you can lower the % for 1 or the other, or both, you may not run into the same thing with your coils/wicks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread