Status
Not open for further replies.

havok333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Chapin, SC
Got my 30 AWG Kanthal (A not A-1) yesterday and was able to make a couple coils easy enough, although it's more challenging than I thought because of my horrid eyesight.

1st coil tested at 1.9 ohm and worked great with 5 wraps.
2nd coil, also 5 wraps, came in at 0.9 ohm! Not sure why this one turned out with such a low resistance since I tried to exactly duplicate my first attempt. Had to trash that one.
3rd coil, 5 wraps, came in at 2.0 ohm.

I'm recoiling Vivi Nova tank atomizers and the 5 wraps fit in there a little tight trying to keep from touching the sides, but I feel certain that less wraps will not provide high enough resistance. I do like keeping the resistance down to 1.5 - 2.2 ohm, so this might be the way to go for me, but was wondering what resistance range I could expect if I tried using 32-43 AWG instead and only doing 3-4 wraps. Any suggestions?

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Hey havoc333, I think if you go from 30 to 32awg you would get more resistance therefore
you may get away with less wraps for the coil.

30awg is fatter than 32 offering less resistance....
32awg is thinner than 30 offering more resistance.

You may know this already though and please correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't want to be misleading folks.

:vapor::vapor:

havok333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Chapin, SC
Yes, you have it correct. The 30 AWG is a little more sturdy, less resistance, so have to wrap more than what would be needed using 32 AWG. The 30 AWG was only $5 for 100 ft. so I couldn't pass on the great deal. What I've done since my original post was find a screw with tighter threading to coil around. Now the coils are a little closer together and fit a little better into the metal tube. I do like the lower ohm coils since I'm using a regulated SB and these tanks seem to work better for me that way. When I finally get my KICK to go into it I'll may want to go closer to 3 ohm and I don't see that being possible with 30 AWG.

Hey havoc333, I think if you go from 30 to 32awg you would get more resistance therefore
you may get away with less wraps for the coil.

30awg is fatter than 32 offering less resistance....
32awg is thinner than 30 offering more resistance.

You may know this already though and please correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't want to be misleading folks.

:vapor::vapor:

havok333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Chapin, SC
I've having problems with mine shorting out. (I'm using reading glasses LOL) My very first coil is working awesome but my last 3 have given E1 codes.. one said OP and one said LO.

If you haven't tried it already, find a small screw with tight threading to wrap the kanthal around, then thread your wick into it. When I tried wrapping the wire around a wick I nearly went insane.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
dont feel bad i got an OP atty head and a LO atty head from the factory :(

I've having problems with mine shorting out. (I'm using reading glasses LOL) My very first coil is working awesome but my last 3 have given E1 codes.. one said OP and one said LO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread