Status
Not open for further replies.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
This is a high quality torch. I've been using mine as an auto mechanic for years, and it's never failed.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Probe-M...1410645028&sr=8-7&keywords=Butane+micro+Torch

Like others have said, it shouldn't be necessary to torch your coil after wrapping it. HOWEVER, it helps greatly to torch the wire to a glow down the length of your wire before wrapping the coil. "Annealing" the wire will help it to hold it's shape while you coil it.

I've tried wrapping coils without torching the wire first, and have found it's easier to coil after torching it, especially when dealing with thinner wire.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
This is the torch I'm using, works great.

BBQbuy Mini Jet Pencil Flame 503 Torch Butane Gas Fuel Welding Soldering Lighter - Gas Welding Equipment - Amazon.com

But as others have said a torch is not really needed. When I started rebuilding I used a Bic lighter & pulsed /squeezed the coils.:2c:
+1 for this ^. They're sold under different brand names, but I think they're all the the same thing. The packaging on the one I have says "Honest 503JET" and "503 Pencil Torch".

danfinger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
Virgo Super Cluster
This is a high quality torch. I've been using mine as an auto mechanic for years, and it's never failed.

Amazon.com: Power Probe MT Micro Torch: Automotive

Like others have said, it shouldn't be necessary to torch your coil after wrapping it. HOWEVER, it helps greatly to torch the wire to a glow down the length of your wire before wrapping the coil. "Annealing" the wire will help it to hold it's shape while you coil it.

I've tried wrapping coils without torching the wire first, and have found it's easier to coil after torching it, especially when dealing with thinner wire.

I'll echo this. I cut my kanthal to 8 inch lengths and hold them over the gas burner on my stove. Get them nice and glowy red then throw them into my build drawer, ready to go.

Also found Rip's latest wire straightening vid very interesting. Just tried it and made a 28g twisted coil for the Russian. Really nice flavor- 1.2Ohm @ 20Watts with cotton...

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
The Poconos
I use this one Bernzomatic self igniting torch
image_46.jpg

I always torch the coil after it's wrapped so I can test the ohms before installing the coil...helps the oxidation get rolling for a better reading using a multimeter and also gets rid of the nasties left from the manufacturing process

sos2001

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2014
South Carolina

The Torch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
Montreal
Someone mentioned my name? :lol:

But seriously, the only type of torch I ever use is the type I used to take my Avatar picture (yes, that IS me! And, yes, that IS using a single flashlight, not car headlights!)

Making the wire glow before building does make it easier to wrap, but you still have to tighten up your wraps after installing it on the deck, so I figure "why bother with even more expense?" After all, I was happy I didn't have to buy a lighter a month when I quit smoking and already have enough vaping paraphernalia... To each their own, but I work in electronics, so I don't mind the extra tediousness of "cold coiling". (did anyone catch this one? :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread