Refilling cartos

Status
Not open for further replies.

feldwin

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
Ft Worth Texas
Had my first attempt at filling a new carto today. The blunt tip needle on the refill syringe I bought is not long enough to reach the liquid in the bottle unless the bottle is completely full. Made a huge mess filling the syringe. Got that cleaned up and then made another mess when the carto leaked everywhere. What am I doing wrong?

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
I recommend using gloves, for one. haha. The nicotine is seeping into your skin otherwise. But to get to your question, why are you filling with syringe? Your juice isn't in a squeeze bottle? I don't know how to refill with syringe, so don't read on if thats the only method you care to use. Otherwise, you can use the condom or drip techniques rather than the syringe, its a lot easier. Just pop the mouthpiece of the carto open and drip the liquid into the cotton by angling the juice nozzle toward the sides of the carto, squeezing lightly, while turning the carto in your thumb and index fingertips. Then there is the condom technique, where you take the rubber condom that comes on new cartos, fill it with some juice, and then slowly push the cartomizers battery screw-in end into the condom, pushing the juice into the hole.

I'm sorry if you specifically want to use the syringe technique, I just typed that to help others new to refilling cartomizers. So, if I didn't help you, hopefully I helped someone new. Someone will come along to help you soon.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
What kind of carto? For plain 1ml stuffing-type cartos I don't need a syringe. I also don't think of it as refilling since if you run a carto dry you will singe it and ruin the flavor. I keep my cartos damp. This is how I fill, cleanup, settle, and keep damp.

---
How I fill V4L/Volt/Bloog KR8 cartos and Boge 510 cartos

With the carto off the battery... Pop out the soft cap with an unbent paperclip in the mouth hole, very careful not to catch stuffing or the wire loop.
Shake and open the eliquid

Fill
Hold a bit of tissue on the threaded end hole (or use the carto condom spike to block the hole),tilt the carto, and add 18 drops per ml of capacity into the stuffing (Boges and most KR8 cartos are about 1ml). You may need to wait a bit for the first few to soak in, then continue. After getting the 18 in, wait 15 seconds or so then see how many more drops the carto stuffing will soak in easily.

Cleanup
Clean up the threaded end, tilt open end down into tissue, puff into threaded end to clear air channel (Boges and the KR8 cartos I use have a defined center air channel and I want to see light through that) While the carto is still open end down, touch a soft bunch of tissue to the top of the stuffing to get the loose juice - this will help prevent leaks.

Settle (first fill only)
Cap and let it settle - I lay it on different sides and on the ends for 15-20 minutes to make sure every bit of stuffing gets damp so I won't singe the carto. if you use thicker juice than me (I use 20% Vg or less) then you may need to wait much longer.

While vaping
While vaping - any time the vapor seems light, dry, or tastes the tiniest bit off or loses flavor, or if the carto is getting abnormally warm, I add liquid. I also occasionally look at the stuffing (especially before putting a fresh battery on or before going out) and if the top of the stuffing looks white, I add some juice. No settle needed when just keeping the carto damp. And if you do not keep it damp or if you use juice that is too thick (too much VG) you will singe the carto and that adds a bitter taste.

I use a simple plastic or delrin drip tip in place of the end cap so it is easy for me to remove that to look at the stuffing or add juice. I use thin clear juices that leave the stuffing white.

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
No offense, but plume doesn't know what their talking about. It's okay if you get alittle juice on your hands. Obviously don't do it purposely, but if you get alittle on you it's okay. Pre-mixed liquid is diluted enough that it's okay. It's nicotine liquid for making your own juice that you do not want to get on you at all.

What cartos are you using? And where did you get the syringe?

This is a copy and paste I wrote for someone else on how to fill the Ressurectors, but its really for all cartos. Follow these directions exactly and you should have no problems. Just go slow and you won't overfill them. Watch the top of the filler and as soon as you see the juice rise to the top of the filler and it looks "slushy", it's full. It's very easy to do and it's much quicker than other methods bc you don't have to wait for the juice to settle. Just fill, blow lightly out the airhole so you make sure it's clear, wipe the threads well, and vape.
Here ya go:

How to fill a cartomizer with a syringe:

"All you have to do is take the dropper part of the bottle off your juice and fill your syringe with 2ml for a new carto. Take the rubber tip off the carto and carefully insert the needle down the side pushing against the metal. DO NOT go thru the filler because it will move it and you could potentially break a connection and your carto. Slide the needle down the side and go all the way to the bottom. Then slowly start dispensing some juice. Dont dispense it all bc then it won't be evenly distributed. Put alittle in, then take it out and insert the needle in a different spot. I normally do it in 3 spots (in a triangle) I found it distributes the best, but you could just do it in 2, on opposite sides. Make sure the needle is at the bOttom bc then you will not have to wait at all for it to settle. Disperse slowly and you will begin to see the toP of the filler become slushy. It is full then, don't put more. If its a new carto is will def hold 2ml, if your refilling it won't take a lot so pay attention and once it gets alittle slushy stop. While your filling hold a napkin or something under the carto bc if you do it too fast a few drops will come out the battery end. If that happens its only bc you did it too fast and the poly fill didn't absorb quick enough.( that happens to me bc I am impatient and fill it in about 10 sec, so I just hold a paper towel or napkin underneath.) wipe up the drops and put the rubber cap back on the carto. Then put the carto between your hands and rub back and forth spinning the carto quickly. This will insure the liquid is evenly distributed in case you put too much on one side from the syringe.
Now you have a perfectly filled ressurector that is ready to be used right away!"

kidbeaster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2012
New Auburn, WI
If I'm filling more than 3 cartos at a time, I'll use the syringe method. I like to use the syringe method on a new carto as well. I'm not saying its the best method. Its what I like doing. I use regular 18 gauge needles so they fit in the juice bottles snug. No leaks. After the needles in the juice bottle I'll turn the bottle upside down and draw out liquid from underneath.

I agree with dormouse. Its best to keep your cartos moist. I too use a drip tip on my cartos. easier to pull it off and drip in some liquid.

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
I have a syringe but I rarely use it. I fill the rubber cap that came on the carto with juice, and slowly push the bottom of the carto down on it. With the XL cartos I use it takes about 3 times. Then I top off the top with a couple of drops, then wipe off the carto, and blow through the bottom to make sure it is cleared.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
mynameisrob, I just don't like getting any nicotine liquid on my hands. Its not harmful, I just don't want tiny amounts of nicotine getting absorbed into my bloodstream. I don't personally use gloves, but I just thought to recommend it for a first time filler because he did say that he had accidentally made a mess with the juice. Its not harmful, but I do feel a slight spike in nicotine buzz if I get a lot of the juice on my hands, whether its placebo or not.

feldwin

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
Ft Worth Texas
Thanks everyone. I got all of my stuff from dragonfly ecigs. Anyone bought from them? There nat'l distribution center is about 10 miles from my house. Mostly warehouse and shipping but they do have a small storefront (open Mon thru Sat.) I'm using ego cone type cartos. They have a rubber plug in the bottom instead of a cap so the condom fill method wont work. I tried the drip method but I'm too impatient for that. I'll try the syringe again but I need to find one with a longer needle.

MrGiggly

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
UK
Hi Feldwin,

I took a look at the dragonfly site and they also offer blunt tip needle caps for your bottles. Have you considered using one of those?

Also, sure someone must have mentioned it and you are doing it already, but just in case... Don't squirt liquid down the centre hole of your carto, make sure its into the filler.

edit: just realised you mentioned ego-cones. If thats the case then they are catridges not cartomisers. Are they the ones with the flat tip rather than just a tube? If so you just need to drip into them and slot them onto your atomiser.

Last edited:

mafig

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2011
malaysia
Had my first attempt at filling a new carto today. The blunt tip needle on the refill syringe I bought is not long enough to reach the liquid in the bottle unless the bottle is completely full. Made a huge mess filling the syringe. Got that cleaned up and then made another mess when the carto leaked everywhere. What am I doing wrong?

hi feldwin and welcome to ECF:)..to use the syringe/condom method..pretend U R a doctor giving an injection..U insert yr syringe with the needle attached, into the hole of yr tip bottle,1st..then hold the bottle upside down and draw yr e-liquid(dont worry will not leak out as the needle will act as a bung..the rest is easy..then U fixed a condom to the threaded end of the cartomizer as it stop the liquid oozing when & if U overfilled..inject the e-liquid into yr cartomizer(30-45 degree angle) at different site of the filler(watch for the liquid breaking the filler surface(that tell U ,yr filler is soaked)..attached a drip tip(if U got 1)..yr cartomizer is now loaded & ready to use..happy vaping ..regards mafig ps if U overfilled yr cartomizer U need to blow out the excess liquid from the drip tip and a tissue to catch the spray..then look through yr cartomizer against a light bulb or skylight for a clear centre hole(if liquid still obstruct..continue with a single blow until U see a light through the centre hole..as vapor is poor if centre hole is blocked)

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Some already posted the link to this video, but an embedded version is easier, so here it is. The condom fill method is easy, effective, and it thoroughly soaks the filler in the carto. Once you've done this on a new carto, all you have to do is drip in a couple of drops as the top of the filler begins to turn white again. A slight drop off in flavor is your clue to top it off.

Harryinny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
Syracuse NY
Ok, im getting alot of conflicting information on how much liquid regular ole cartos hold. Im useing the ones that come stock from Smokless images Volt kit and prefilled packs. I Used almost boiling water to clean them out(from faucet) Blew them out and let sit 24 hours upside down. Used a hair dryer for about 3 minutes blowing hot air all around the carts while in my hand. I Used a syringe, used a condom and put in 25 drops, stuch the syringe in the condom and pulled in the liauid while pulling out the plunger. You do get a suction resistance when all the liquid is in, so i heep the plunger held out and twist off the condom and flip the syringe and attach the needle. I push the air out, and the syrinnge says its got just about a mil in it, sometimes 1/4. I fill them(new at it and just did it my way, Its the easiest way i figured out when i sat down to do it). I let the carts set thread side down overnight. Now, typically, if i try the dondom method, how much will these cartos hold if cleaned and dried? How much will one use if its just to the point of almost no vape? Im finding 1ml and 2ml as the end all beat all amounts, But seems 2ml is alot even with a cleaned and dried used prefilled.

Thanks for any help.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
Ok, im getting alot of conflicting information on how much liquid regular ole cartos hold. Im useing the ones that come stock from Smokless images Volt kit and prefilled packs. I Used almost boiling water to clean them out(from faucet) Blew them out and let sit 24 hours upside down. Used a hair dryer for about 3 minutes blowing hot air all around the carts while in my hand. I Used a syringe, used a condom and put in 25 drops, stuch the syringe in the condom and pulled in the liauid while pulling out the plunger. You do get a suction resistance when all the liquid is in, so i heep the plunger held out and twist off the condom and flip the syringe and attach the needle. I push the air out, and the syrinnge says its got just about a mil in it, sometimes 1/4. I fill them(new at it and just did it my way, Its the easiest way i figured out when i sat down to do it). I let the carts set thread side down overnight. Now, typically, if i try the dondom method, how much will these cartos hold if cleaned and dried? How much will one use if its just to the point of almost no vape? Im finding 1ml and 2ml as the end all beat all amounts, But seems 2ml is alot even with a cleaned and dried used prefilled.

Thanks for any help.

The cartomizers for the Volt hold about 1 ml. When juice flavor drops off, just drip a few drops into your carto. If they're cleaned cartomizers vs new, they will probably hold a little less at first fill because they're less absorbent.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    The only thing that matters is that you get the carto full. I know just as many people that simply drip the proper amount of juice in the top as I do that use the condom or syringe methods.
    You either get enough juice in the carto, or you don't. So use whatever method that works for you.
    I use the condom method, but with a twist with my Boge cartos. I fill the shorter condom completly full, and I then let the carto sit in the condom until it absorbs all of the liquid.
    I then simply drip to refill it.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread