Status
Not open for further replies.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
What's the difference between the two and what is your preference as far as brand to go with that is good quality and offers some sort of warranty in case there is a problem. I was thinking the IPV3 or Sigelei 150w box mod but I would like to hear your opinion.

an unregulated box mod just means it's a box with a switch to hold the batteries; no short circuit protection electronics built in.

BluzKing

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Regarding the difference, I echo what everyone else has stated. There are tons of options out there, and I have two regulated mods, a VaporShark rDNA 40 and a Sigelei 150; both are excellent devices, with the rDNA having temp protection with Nickel wire, of course. I use the Sigelei 150 as my go to mod, I just like the extra power, although I rarely go above 75-80 watts. Two batteries help with all day vaping as well.

I also have a mechanical, a small SMPL mod, but it rarely use it. Good luck, there's a lot of choices these days!

EdT586

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2015
Canada
To make it easy to understand, regulated mods main advantages is it is able auto senses the resistance of your tank's coil(s) and sets and even bumps up the wattage accordingly, but is very difficult to sub ohm without further alternating/tricking the electronics. Main disadvantage is the electronics can fail, less user control and more expensive to purchase and repair.

With mech mods you have to do manual calculations on the resistance of your coils and the battery's capability, main advantages is a robust mod with no electronics that can fail/malfunction and able to sub ohm to get a hotter vape, basically no nanny computer chip telling you can't do this or that !

Last edited:

kartoffelfaust

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2015
USA
I prefer regulated box for all the reasons above. Regarding durability, have an IPV3 that i've dropped quite a few times. There are dents in the bottom, and the battery compartment cover is a little distorted, but it works fine.

I think the draw for some to an unregulated box is battery configuration to support super-low ohms. Most regulated mods run series batteries, meaning the amp load is identical across both batteries.

With parallel batteries in a box, the amp load is divided across each battery. So pulling 40 amps is 20 per battery in a parallel unregulated box.

Conversely, pulling 40 amps in a series regulated box will be disastrous and is pushing the battery well beyond its rated range.

Brandon David

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm a regulated person. I just sold my 3 reos to acquire some cash to purchase another regulated mod. It's just so much more convenient knowing battery charge and not having to worry about vape quality diminishing upon battery discharge.

That being said, my copper vanilla mod will always be my backup. It's hard to screw up and break a mech (especially a tube style) as long as you put the battery in right and don't have a short in your build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SynRacing35

Mar 3, 2015
Currently I am debating on which to get and then specifically what to get/look at as far as a regulated box or mech. I currently has an Aspire Cf Mod (18650 battery) with an Aspire Atlantis tank. I also bought a Mutation X V1 RDA with a 0.3Ohm build. That is my first dripper aND I don't know what way to lean (as far as unregulated vs regulated) for bigger clouds. Any advice on which way to lean for a cloud chasing set up would be much appreciated.

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
I have used regulated devices & like them just fine. You have more protections with regulated & there is also more consistency. They're easy.

But I use an unregulated mod all the time now & it is my preferred device. While I do like the simplicity of regulated, I don't find the unregulated to be all that complicated. Mainly it required me to learn more about what my device needs in order to perform as I want it to. I needed to learn about batteries & battery safety so I could insure my batteries are in good condition. I needed to learn how to clean the contacts so as to keep the device performing properly. It's easy to know when to change my batteries just by how the vape tastes so that's not a problem.

Once I did learn those things I have never had a time when I was not able to fix a problem with my device, unlike any regulated device I've used. I've never had a chip fail or a problem with the device reading my topper correctly. I've never had a problem with the device failing to fire because of some electrical issue. I've never ruined my device by getting it wet or dropping it.

I use a REO & it's been my referred device for close to 2 years.

juggler86

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2015
Wisconsin
The biggest difference to me is on a regulated box you can buil high ohm builds 1.2-2 and still get awesome flavor and hugh clouds on an unregulated box you want to build low(for me) .1-.3(not saying everybody shout build this low). Thats the biggest difference to me. Certain attys also suit my reg/unreg devices better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread