Relapsed

Status
Not open for further replies.

postembr2

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2013
Hi, after a month or so, i relapsed and took a cig.
I know its not a black white situation, and im commited to keep vaping, mostly because now i stinks, my hand and mouth stinks, i feel shortness of breath, but i feel somewhat guilty. I wasnt taking a cig like "i gonna enjoy myself" because this wasnt the case, and i feel worse now. I wanted to feel "how it was" and simply put, i feel its very bad, just reinforcing my decision to vape only. I cant think of really taking other cig in near by future, i just done it because i was on a table with 100% smokers, something i was postponing because of fear of relapsing.

Its just what i intended to talk. People please, give me your inputs, your ones with more vaping time.

HighEnergyProton

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
Germany
Don't beat yourself up at all, it happens to the best of us. I also had a cigarette not too long ago, and hated every drag. At least now you know that you didn't like it. It's all part of the healing process and once you can break that thought about a cigarette then you are on your way to lifelong freedom from them. Keep up the good work that you are doing. You have already saved yourself a month's worth of cigarettes, you should be proud of yourself :D

Mikie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Chattanooga TN
What's the problem postembr? I still smoke on occasion, and it is such a far cry from what I used to do that I could not care less about them. This gets less and less over some time, it becomes a choice.

You learned something, move along. You didn't shoot a kitten. You didn't kick a dog. You didn't get drunk and pee on your bosses desk. You did something once, that you used to do MANY times a day. This is just part of the switch to vaping, as far as I have seen.

revco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Missoula, MT
So, what? You had one smoke? You probably haven't smoked several hundred, maybe over a thousand, since you took up vaping? That's the accomplishment. You're not alone...don't hold yourself to other people's standards or expectations. And guess where you are? On ECF talking about it...right where you should be. We're all faulty...that's pretty much how we got involved with nicotine to begin with. If quitting smoking was easy, everyone would have done it all ready.

I read this thread the other day and found it really good. People were being brutally honest about their cessation and I think you might find it helpful to read.

Keep it up. I'm glad to hear you have your resolve. We're not going to beat you up around here, we want you to be successful but we also accept you for who you are. Best of luck on this journey!

Miata GT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Largo, FL
Honestly, there's nothing wrong with 'trying it again.' Every blue moon I get a wild hair to go the local Mobil station to grab a Hav-A-Tampa (what I was smoking for the last 10 years). The best is that after a few drags I throw it out. Tastes like crap, smells like crap...and for me, does not provide any more enjoyment than a good vape.

It's like you have to tend to that crazing to know that you didn't miss it, you know?

Don Robertson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
You'll be fine......... and guess what............ you are not the first. Keep enjoying, learning, trying new stuff if you choose. Smoking had you by the throat - now you are reversing the grasp. I'm just a tad over two months in this game - temptation is there. You did it - you hated it and had that been the case with your FIRST cigarette "back then" - you wouldn't have continued smoking. This time it's different - you said so and you can be 100% RIGHT. No need to over analyze your "oops" - it happened.

Senile Old Man Don

postembr2

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2013
Thanks for the input ppl. That is why i said, this matter isnt black and white, there is a lot of gray. I dont give up on nicotine, this is why im vaping. Vaping for me is a smoke cessation tool, not a nicotine cessation tool, and im frank about it. This is why its a much more informed and light discussion than the one i take when i stopped to drink. Im alcoolic, for this, i cant take the first shot. For 4 years i didnt drink, and i know i cant. Like food (im overweight, very) i need to relearn how to moderate, im reshaping my nicotine habit.

postembr2

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2013
So, what? You had one smoke? You probably haven't smoked several hundred, maybe over a thousand, since you took up vaping? That's the accomplishment. You're not alone...don't hold yourself to other people's standards or expectations. And guess where you are? On ECF talking about it...right where you should be. We're all faulty...that's pretty much how we got involved with nicotine to begin with. If quitting smoking was easy, everyone would have done it all ready.

I read this thread the other day and found it really good. People were being brutally honest about their cessation and I think you might find it helpful to read.

Keep it up. I'm glad to hear you have your resolve. We're not going to beat you up around here, we want you to be successful but we also accept you for who you are. Best of luck on this journey!

Nice thread. Im honest with me too: im not using vape as a nicotine ceasing tool; im using it to stay away from smoke. So far, i have no intent now of stopping to take nicotine. Said that, to vape or smoke is much more a decision than the situation when i needed to smoke to have nicotine. Now i have choice. Having a cigarette today just reinforced my decision that vaping is superior in almost every aspect (the bad is that i cant get gear/liquid on every corner, so i need to plan for future).

postembr2

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2013
You'll be fine......... and guess what............ you are not the first. Keep enjoying, learning, trying new stuff if you choose. Smoking had you by the throat - now you are reversing the grasp. I'm just a tad over two months in this game - temptation is there. You did it - you hated it and had that been the case with your FIRST cigarette "back then" - you wouldn't have continued smoking. This time it's different - you said so and you can be 100% RIGHT. No need to over analyze your "oops" - it happened.

Senile Old Man Don

Much that. I dont feel over guilty or so, i just brought the "situation" here because other ppl may feel or act like me and a nice talk among fellow vapes about their opinions and ideas is good for everyone, especially newcomers like me.

Requiem33

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2011
Inwood, WV
Don't beat yourself up over it. I still smoke but it's cutting down day by day and I don't see this like the other "I'm quitting" methods. I'm vaping. I like to vape if I have a smoke from time to time so what? I'm hoping that if I get down to a couple a day, a couple a week a couple a month then I'm happy. I used to smoke 2+ packs a day (PAD) and now I'm down to under a pack a day. For me this is victory and a good thing.

It's not a lapse it's a blast to the past that you realize wasn't so good after all.

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
I am coming up on 2 weeks and remember "cheating" one time just 2 days into my vaping experience. The damned thing was just lying there begging to be smoked... calling my name. Looking like a high-falutin' $20 ...... in a frilly lace nightgown. It wanted me. It *needed* me. Alas, in the end I was only a man.

The point I'm trying to make in a gross way is there is nothing wrong with falling off the wagon my friend. It will always stop and wait for you to dust yourself off and climb back on. (My Father used to say this and it didn't make sense then... still doesn't make sense).

I ain't helpin much am I? I'll get back to you...

Free6413

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Spring, Texas
I can appreciate the remorse but remember that the only perfect man was crucified over 2,000 years ago. We all have our imperfections and pitfalls. The good thing is that you didn't like it and don't want to go back to full time smoking. This is a feat within itself. You are going to be ok if you try to stay on the path. The destination is clear. How you get there is up to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread