Status
Not open for further replies.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
Giving away REOs to the elderly...I'm old.
old2.gif

:D

Ratman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Tulsa OK
From the point of how satisfying the experience is, flavor, reliability and vapor I would wholeheartedly say yes. However, sadly many seniors suffer from arthritis in the hands and the constant squonking of the bottle puts pressure on aching joints in the finger or thumb. As much as I love my REOs and you guys know how much I LOVE my REOS. If my grandmother suffered from moderate to severe arthritis in her hands, I would lead her in another direction. That is the only reason I can think of tho for not recommending the REO.

I am 44 and have arthritis in my right index finger from an injury and there are days it aches from squonking so I know of what I speak.

fatherdano

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2012
ohio
From the point of how satisfying the experience is, flavor, reliability and vapor I would wholeheartedly say yes. However, sadly many seniors suffer from arthritis in the hands and the constant squonking of the bottle puts pressure on aching joints in the finger or thumb. As much as I love my REOs and you guys know how much I LOVE my REOS. If my grandmother suffered from moderate to severe arthritis in her hands, I would lead her in another direction. That is the only reason I can think of tho for not recommending the REO.

I am 44 and have arthritis in my right index finger from an injury and there are days it aches from squonking so I know of what I speak.

Do you suggest Rob contact the ADA department to discuss this with his engineers?

boilednuts

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2009
ALOHA STATE
Tough question Dano. Best if they were able to try a REO and see if its manageable. If they can't squonk then maybe dripping or using cartos would do. It be easy to replace batts without the bottle in there. Not many devices out there have all these options so it can transition easily as their physical limitations do. I know reliability would be high on their must have list and a REO fits that bill too.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I say we let the elderly use them Gigantic Gayass Tube Steaks and other similar devices that are so large they could double as a cane and leave the REO's to us younguns.

JK. I'm 46 myself, but a long way from elderly and understand that issues like Ratman mentions could be difficult with dexterity and arthritis issues. But then again, things like filling tanks and cartos could also be a challenge? This is a tough question, but in my opinion, if you vape you either put in your work before you vape (non REO) or you put in a few squeezes while ya vape (REO)?

REO for the win.

Last edited:

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(
If ya can flick a Bic methinks Squonking shouldnt be a big deal I have moderate arthitis in my hands and some days everything is a hassle hurt but I still flicked by Bic and Now I squonk. I cant speak for everyone but I do think the Reo would be one of the more senior user friendly mods devices

rickyshuman

Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
new mexico
I have developed substantial arthritis in my hands and fingers, it's not the squonking that is uncomfortable it is holding the REO that becomes difficult after a day of vaping. I'm hopeful that the new mod Rob is working on may be more rounded and easier to hold for folks like myself. Its possible that a Woodville 18490 would be more comfortable and be a better fit for me, however that are hard to find.

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
My DH could be considered "elderly" at four months shy of 78. He does fine with any of the REOs. He has moderate arthritis in his hands but most issues in his wrist. For comfort he does prefer his eGo Twist and Spinners with Mini ViVi Nova tanks, though. They also work better for his over stuffed shirt pockets. He did break several of the batteries bending over to pet the short Heeler girls with most usually his pen, pen light, and reading glasses spilling out along with the eGo. Other drops, too, getting up from recliner, getting out of car, having his hands too filled with other things, sitting down on them in airplane when he returns to seat and forgets he left it in seat (he stealth vapes in first class, two flight a week), etc. HE'S NEVER BROKEN A REO IN TWO YEARS USING THEM.

I reminded him I got him a much tougher Infinity Pro only slightly larger than the Twist and Spinners, and it has the same Notcigs chip as VV Reos but he came back with I've learned to take better care of them and haven't broken one in months. Then he asked me how long the Twist/Spinner batteries would last (how many months). Don't really know.....

AND he wants me to pack him up a REO for his NYC conference......

Feisty Alice

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

lostknitter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2011
Lee's Summit, MO
I agree that the REO is the absolute best for build, reliability and ease of use. I squonk with my thumb, so a person who has arthritis in their hands and fingers may need to adjust their hold so it is most comfortable for them. But, considering the ease of use, I think the REO beats everything else out there. I also think the bottles get easier to squonk after a while, and I know they are easier when they are full as opposed to almost empty. I wouldn't hesitate recommending a REO for an older person, then helping them to adjust for their comfort. Also, it would be important to stress how little the button really needs to be pushed for it to fire, button mashing would be a major no-no for them.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
I agree that the REO is the absolute best for build, reliability and ease of use. I squonk with my thumb, so a person who has arthritis in their hands and fingers may need to adjust their hold so it is most comfortable for them. But, considering the ease of use, I think the REO beats everything else out there. I also think the bottles get easier to squonk after a while, and I know they are easier when they are full as opposed to almost empty. I wouldn't hesitate recommending a REO for an older person, then helping them to adjust for their comfort. Also, it would be important to stress how little the button really needs to be pushed for it to fire, button mashing would be a major no-no for them.

Arthritis is an issue for me so I order the old school plunger. Sure its not pocket friendly but my favorite children never leave my house. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread