replicating performance with different gauge wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_noise

Sep 26, 2011
Philippines
Hi Guys! My current setup is dual coil, 28 gauge, 10 loops, 2.5 mm diameter, .88 ohms, fired at 36 watts. I'm loving everything about this build; flavor, vapor, heat, ramp time, and how it doesn't scorch my wicks within hours/a day of use. I want to replicate this on my next build, but I've run out of 28 gauge, and only have 26 gauge left.

I know that getting the same performance won't be as simple as building to the same resistance, so I guess I'm not sure how to move forward. In order to better understand how this works, here's how I'm looking to satisfy my curiosity.

Build A: dual coil, 28 gauge, 10 loops, 2.5 mm diameter, .88 ohms, fired at 36 watts

Build B: dual coil, 26 gauge, 10 loops, 2.5 mm diameter, approximately .5 ohms

Both setups will have roughly the same length of wire. Build B will have slightly more surface area due to the thicker wire, but I'm not sure whether that's enough to make a difference. Build B will also have more mass overall.

With these considerations in mind, if I fire Build B at 36 watts, what kind of performance should I expect in terms of vapor, flavor, ramp time, and heat?

Nuchuga

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
Orange County, CA
Because your resistance will be lower, the ramp up time longer as well as vapor production will be lower.... at least while at 36 watts. If your able to run higher, a 26G Dual coil, 8 wraps, on a 2.5mm drill bit ran at 50 watts is a great build. Otherwise, you may have just a good luck running a single coil at 36 watts and get similar vapor production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread