A little advice on wire guage please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
I'm aiming to get my resistance around .5 or .6 ohms. I've tried 30 gauge and 28 gauge kanthal a1. Which is fine, when I feel like vaping around 1.5 to 1 ohm. I can successfully build a subohm coil at my target resistance, however, doing so, there's not much to my coils. Just a few loops. I'd like a gauge that I can build substantially, and have a decent surface area to vape. So what gauge should I be looking into next?

Grace me with your knowledge more experienced vapers!

player one

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
cali
Single or dual coils? If single, here's one from UKPaul

28g - 2 x 8 wrap - 0.5 ohm approx
image_zpscf8c45bb.jpg

Last edited:

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Parallel coils like the one above sound like the way to go. I'm using 4 wraps of parallel 28 gauge coming in at .4 ohms and getting near instant heating and great vapor and flavor. You can adjust your ohms by the size of the bit you are using. I wrap mine around the largest flat head screwdriver in my jewelers driver set, I've been meaning to measure it but haven't yet.

Just checked the driver, it's equivalent to a 3/32 bit. Tried a parallel 28 gauge at 5 wraps and it came out to .6 ohms :)

Last edited:

Annie56

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
you can build a nice sub Ω coil, using twisted 28. I am vowing not to buy any more rebuildable supplies, or else i would spring for 26 or 24. Fold my 28 in half. put that fold into the chock of my drill. Pliers hold my two loose ends. Make a nice twisted wire. Works nice, till you get your thicker wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Yes like both posts above stated either twisted or parallel will work or if your interested in just a single wire, I think 26g is a perfect gauge for your resistance.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Another advantage of 26 is it holds it's shape really well. You can wrap it pretty easily but stands up to abuse without losing its shape.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I've found that I like to have 8 to 10 wraps, to allow sufficient contact to my wicks, which are cotton. For dual coils, I use 26g kanthal. 9 wraps on a #51 drill bit, which is 1.7mm or .067". Each coil is just about 1 ohm. So when set up as duals, I'm getting .5 ohms.
rule, how ya been? don't see you as much.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
I'm not at nearly the experience to be able to build a parallel coil yet, and I don't really have the power tools necessary at my disposal to do a twisted coil. So really I'm looking for just single, round wire coil recommendations. As for single or duel coil, I do either actually, depending on what I feel like. I've also recently been wrapping some nano coils. But I want to try a macro coil for my next build I think. Right now I'm really in the stage where I know everything I need to know to do this safely, and I can wrap a pair of decent horizontal coils, but I'm still very much trying to figure out what sort of build I really like, at what resistance.

I'll try some of those out. I actually went down to my local vape shop and get a few feet of 26 and 24 gauge wire just to try. Once I decide which is working better for me, I'll go back and get a roll (it's cheaper that way, and I'm constantly rebuilding coils just to play around with things). So far I'm really liking to 24 gauge. Though the coil ended up a little lower than what I was aiming for, I like the sturdiness of the wire. Once that thing's wrapped it's not going anywhere! I also like the substantial build I was able to get while still staying in low ohm territory. But I haven't tried the 26 gauge yet, maybe I'll like that better :D

Thanks guys, you're all awesome :toast:

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
On a single coil, I like the 24 Gauge. The lower the Gauge the longer it takes to heat up at the same Ohm Level.

I prefer a ramping up of my vape, instead of instant red hot. It's not a matter that any gauge is better just that it suits the Vapees taste preference.

Now I just tried a new double setup using Vapin Donuts and so far I'm favorably disposed towards them, based on my vaping style.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
After you've been wrapping coils for a while, you just get a feel for wire size, coil diameter, and number of wraps, to hit your desired resistance. One good tip to remember, going down 3 wire gauges will half your resistance, for a given length. Going up 3 gauges will double it, approximately. For example, 27 gauge will have about half the resistance, in a given length, as an equal length of 30 gauge. 33 gauge will have approximately double the resistance of the same length of 30 gauge.

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I'm not at nearly the experience to be able to build a parallel coil yet, and I don't really have the power tools necessary at my disposal to do a twisted coil.
I just want to state that you don't need a drill to make twisted wire. You can do it by hand, it just takes a lot longer. If you have 2 pairs of vice grips, one pair of vice grips and a vice, or one pair of vice grips and a drill bit, it can be done with those. Instead of a few seconds, it takes a couple minutes. Just pull tight while twisting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread