Researchers Light Up for Nicotine, the Wonder Drug

Status
Not open for further replies.

wanderlust

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2009
North Carolina, USA
There are two parts to the nicotine addiction; psychological and physiological, just like with any other addicition. This is not necessarily true of complusions and obsessions but that is another bird altogether. vaping address both parts of the equation and therefore tends to be a more reliable substitution than meds. Think about it, you have all the drama and rituals still in place with the delivery system and the actual chemical still being administered in controlled dosage. Many of us think it is the best of both worlds and a safer alternative but the chemical use remains. Ideally we would be chemical free but, hey in the real world we use chemicals all the time to enhance our lives. Many chemical addictions affect the midbrain (old brain) and are not easily shrugged off (The Old's Experiment). This area of the brain is responsible for survival and artificial stimulation of the "reward center" raises the pleasure level and may heighten other areas as well. Nicotine is a remarkable drug and seems to target individuals differently but it's still a chemical and therefore chemistry still occurrs. I like caffeine and I like nicotine and if I stop I will have withdrawal symptoms that may persist for a long time or forever. Have I already permenantely altered my body chemistry after smoking for 30 plus years - well most likely. Just like the ...... addict that may have perm. damaged the neural system and require methadone or other meds to function well. Just like the diabetic (not juvenile diabetes) that requires insulin. It all comes back to quality of life and I feel mine has been enhanced by vaping rather than smoking. For me it really is about harm reduction. Kudos to all who have chosen not to use nicotine and have been successfull. Obviously, this is ideal. But remember we are all different (body chemistry) and abstinence may not be a practical alternative for everyone. I have two teenage children and do not want to see them use nicotine in any form. In fact I wish I had never used but wishing, by itself, does not change anything. So for now I vape! Sorry for the ramble but I kinda forgot where I was headed with this post. Guess I'll go find my 801.

wanderlust

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2009
North Carolina, USA
Oh I know now where I was headed. Every drug has a negative side effect. When a Doctor writes scrip you are paying him to make sure the benefits outweigh the risks. Who is responsible for your medical care? It's not ultimately the doctor but rather the patient. We should all be informed about the decisions we make in regard to health and owe it to ourselves to examine all the facts that are available. We shouldn't blindly assume anything when it comes to our health. I have made as informed a decision as possible at this time and am comfortable with it. If others choose differently then how can I fault them? I do not like the "health claims" that some retailers make about their product. Look at BP and the many times pharmaceutical companies have been sued after years of patient trials have proven a product safe and effective. From a consumer standpoint I would rather see the FDA regulate the purity of the over the counter product in question rather than the effects. I tend to equate nicotine and caffeine in the same category and have no problems with making sure my products are not adulterated with melamine or anything else. As far as the coffee cups, coffe makers and "ecigs" are concerned I would prefer to come to my own conclusions. Ok, I'm going to get off that bandwagon and make another pot of coffee. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread