Status
Not open for further replies.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
Noalox or Deoxit on the battery contact points can only be a good thing.

I guess that true I was just pointing out the differences in maintenance between wood REOs vs metal ones. :) 4 years of REOs and never used Noalox or mess with contacts then again I'm lazy. :laugh:

TheBikeGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2014
Dry Ridge, Kentucky, USA
I guess that true I was just pointing out the differences in maintenance between wood REOs vs metal ones. :) 4 years of REOs and never used Noalox or mess with contacts then again I'm lazy. :laugh:

In theory you shouldn't have to maintain gold plated contacts. They are gold plated because gold doesn't oxidize. If it were just about conductivity you would use silver because it's a better conductor, but it oxidizes. They can still get dirty though. So you need to clean them off. Don't use anything even slightly abrasive though, you'll wear the gold off and copper oxidizes
05%5B1%5D.jpg

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
In theory you shouldn't have to maintain gold plated contacts. They are gold plated because gold doesn't oxidize. If it were just about conductivity you would use silver because it's a better conductor, but it oxidizes. They can still get dirty though. So you need to clean them off. Don't use anything even slightly abrasive though, you'll wear the gold off and copper oxidizes
05%5B1%5D.jpg
True but you're not taking into account what happens when the connections arc. Which happens in the metal Reos, so the Noalox or Deoxit stop the arcing which prevents pitting , plus the battery side of the connection is not gold. Since the Woodvils do not make and break contact at the battery those issues do not exist. I do use Deoxit in my Woodvils since it enhances conductivity.

TheBikeGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2014
Dry Ridge, Kentucky, USA
True but you're not taking into account what happens when the connections arc. Which happens in the metal Reos, so the Noalox or Deoxit stop the arcing which prevents pitting , plus the battery side of the connection is not gold. Since the Woodvils do not make and break contact at the battery those issues do not exist. I do use Deoxit in my Woodvils since it enhances conductivity.

Okay, I hadn't thought about arcing.

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
I'm sorry guys, I must be delusional, because there's no way a mod is worth over a couple hundred dollars.

If someone has too much money and offers that it still doesn't mean it's worth it, it just means that they want to grossly outbid anyone else. We need to get back to reality.

I love the REO, Rob and the community, really I do but if it ever got to that I would not be able to have REO's. I'm also confident that Rob would never do that to us because he's a man of I integrity.

Also, the woodvil is very sought after, and we could get ridiculous prices for them, yet we look down on someone that would try to get much more than retail.

Interesting post...and an aspect of this vaping industry I find fascinating...it's a Petri dish of value theory, socio-economics and worth.

...thing is, beyond the musings of philosophers and economists, an object's value is what someone who needs or desires it, and is able or willing to remunerate for it...as in most examples of discretionary acquisition (such as vaping gear)...the object's actual worth is moot.

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
So I'm guessing lizard you haven't seen the Facebook group called Vape Auctions. USED mods being sold for $1600-2000. Yes I ....z you not, 2k for a friggin mod and it's not even gold plated at least. We live in a consumer crazy society where traditional values have been flushed down the crapper. Quigs is spot on, something is worth whatever some crazy guy with money to throw is willing to dish out.
Mod makers making solid silver mods with diamonds selling for 4k, I'm not making this up, it's real. 200 bucks is chicken feed compared to what's being sold and bought.
I think the human race is lost track, lights are on but nobody home

debb

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2010
in the nj woods
I guess as "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"...so is "value in the they eye of the owner"...My Reos are worth more to me then what I payed for them...because they are my pv's of choice ..it's what works for me..Would I pay $300 for one ...probably not ...but I would try like Hell...then pout when I couldn't...lol...my buddy might pay $500 for a 150w ,vv, gold & diamond box mod worth it to them....but not to me...(personally I don't understand 150w...who needs that much power..somethings bound to melt somewhere)lol...jmo...someone will always buy the outrageously priced mods..so they will keep making more and better and higher priced ( soon they will be vaping on their smart phones which btw I don't have one of them either) ..me ..I found what I like and satisfies my habit...and I'm happy ...plus Reo's look cool...and TO ME they are not cheap...Retired, fixed income...I am thrilled to be able to afford my Reos....don't have as many as I would like to...but maybe I will win the lottery someday...if so look out Rob! I will become Gil..."I have this beautiful hunk of...... can you make..."

btw..maybe you should call the new resin The redeyedancer v1....LOL...

Last edited:

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
If this was coming out of China this post would be very different. You all would be calling it plastic ...... RESIN has such a better ring to doesn't it............

Possibly, but i have asked already if it will handle a coating of my usual brutal juices without damage. My own preference would be something made from polyurethane (like a skateboard wheel) that is both tough and almost bouncy. Even i'd struggle to wreck that.

What i do see here is innovation and improvement as well as the customer service we have come to know, and those are things China does less well.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread