Resistance & Safety While Dripping on a Passthrough

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just crossed my mind and I can't quickly find a topic discussing it.

I am just stepping into the world of rda's & RTA's. I don't have a commercial "Ohm's Reader" but will buy one in the near future. I am currently checking resistance with a multimeter and have my readings as accurate as can be expected, taking into account the paddles resistance as best as I can estimate, and not pushing it too far. I am not trying to sub-ohm as I personally don't see the point considering how, why and what I vape.

Now - I'm not building anything fancy. I have a mephisto clone and am running it off an EGO-T for now as well as a VV USB Passthrough, using 28g Kanthall and organic Japanese cotton. My goal here was to simply step away from clearo's as my prefered VG juices kill those coils in about 2-3 days.

My question is this.

We all know the obvious dangers of batteries exploding on mech mods.

What happens if resistance is too low on something like an EGO-T? Are these devices semi-regulated?

What about a passthrough? That's the big one. Do circuits just melt? Does it even fire? I know USB ports can't deliver more than 5.0v, and this passthrough only steps up to 4.8

I use it sometimes through a "cell phone" usb wall wart rated at the proper voltage, and its fine. I have plugged it into a LG charger wart that outputs 5.1v quickly to check for possible safety mechanisms that may have been implemented by the manufacturer. It won't fire. The light blinks rapidly, communicating to the user that there is a voltage mismatch, my guess is there are SOME safety measures in place to prevent injury, but I don't know enough about electronics to really know the dangers on that one.

I am not going to do anything stupid here, this question is simply out of curiosity.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
This just crossed my mind and I can't quickly find a topic discussing it.

I am just stepping into the world of RDA's & RTA's. I don't have a commercial "Ohm's Reader" but will buy one in the near future. I am currently checking resistance with a multimeter and have my readings as accurate as can be expected, taking into account the paddles resistance as best as I can estimate, and not pushing it too far. I am not trying to sub-ohm as I personally don't see the point considering how, why and what I vape.

Now - I'm not building anything fancy. I have a mephisto clone and am running it off an EGO-T for now as well as a VV USB Passthrough, using 28g Kanthall and organic Japanese cotton. My goal here was to simply step away from clearo's as my prefered VG juices kill those coils in about 2-3 days.

My question is this.

We all know the obvious dangers of batteries exploding on mech mods.

What happens if resistance is too low on something like an EGO-T? Are these devices semi-regulated?

What about a passthrough? That's the big one. Do circuits just melt? Does it even fire? I know USB ports can't deliver more than 5.0v, and this passthrough only steps up to 4.8

I use it sometimes through a "cell phone" usb wall wart rated at the proper voltage, and its fine. I have plugged it into a LG charger wart that outputs 5.1v quickly to check for possible safety mechanisms that may have been implemented by the manufacturer. It won't fire. The light blinks rapidly, communicating to the user that there is a voltage mismatch, my guess is there are SOME safety measures in place to prevent injury, but I don't know enough about electronics to really know the dangers on that one.

I am not going to do anything stupid here, this question is simply out of curiosity.

1: 28 gauge:
28 gauge is pretty common on rebuildables I think, but if you are only vaping with an ego size battery or a 5 to 10 watt passthrough, you will find better luck with 30 gauge kanthal

2: what happens if resistance too low on an ego type battery:
(a) Usually they just don't fire.
(b) I'd avoid stressing out small batteries by giving them a challenging load repeatedly.
Batteries do get old and tired.

3: what about a passthrough!
Aha! now when it comes to safety, I like being able to plug into a wall and not have to worry about a battery.
As for circuits melting you'd really have to have a piss poor electronics nowadays for that sort of thing to happen; on the other hand I suppose with vaping there's always the possibility for liquid getting down in your electronics and causing something to fry.
The worst that can possibly happen is you blow a fuse and for that to happen your charger wart thing would have to short out.

try a 2 ohm 32 or 30 gauge single coil on your passthrough; it won't fire a coil that is too low.

Thanks for the responses! I have found that yes, this EGO battery really doesn't want to fire anything under 2.2ohms. It also seems to be overworked very easily and after a few draws, the protection kicks in and it wont fire for a while.

I'm gonna pick up an Eleaf as recommended this weekend. I think it's a good starter upgrade. I would like to own some mech mods, but I simply am not ready for that level of care involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread