Resistance too low (Ni200), possible remedy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
After you wicked it with cotton or whatever you use, you can recheck to see if the resistance had dropped. If it did, that means a wrap or more may have shorted. Repeat the advice from the previous post. Either soaked in juice or not. If not, keep the temperature low to avoid burning the dry wicking.

• Informative
Reactions: KurtVD

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Thank you, now I know what you mean. And now I remember having a pair of teflon tweezers, I had forgotten about them...But here's what I don't understand: You said to do this procedure (getting rid of the shorts) in the context of contact coils, and that doesn't make sense to me. I thought that in a contact coil, the wires are supposed to be in contact with each other, so what shorts should I get rid of?

Sure no problem. You run something non conductive and can handle heat like Teflon tweezers across the coil while firing. Or use metal tweezers or a screwdriver or something while not firing. The resistance will increase as the shorts will disappear.

• Useful
Reactions: BillW50

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Thank you, now I know what you mean. And now I remember having a pair of teflon tweezers, I had forgotten about them...But here's what I don't understand: You said to do this procedure (getting rid of the shorts) in the context of contact coils, and that doesn't make sense to me. I thought that in a contact coil, the wires are supposed to be in contact with each other, so what shorts should I get rid of?

Physical contact is one thing, electrical contact is another. Contact coils are physically connected. But they shouldn't be electrically connected. As you don't want shorts. As you will have hot spots and it will vape horribly. You're much better off using spaced coils to avoid all of this. But if you insist, you must remove the shorts.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Thanks, now I get it ;)

I've been reading a little bit about spaced coils vs contact coils, and I came to the same conclusion (that it's better to make spaced coils). I will still be able to use my Ni200 30 Ga spool (which might be 28Ga in actuality), but not the thicker ones (24 and 26 Ga).

Thanks everyone

Physical contact is one thing, electrical contact is another. Contact coils are physically connected. But they shouldn't be electrically connected. As you don't want shorts. As you will have hot spots and it will vape horribly. You're much better off using spaced coils to avoid all of this. But if you insist, you must remove the shorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread