Respiratory Problems New To Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapePaw

Feb 11, 2018
Some history first: Smoked for just under 3 years approximately 20-30 roll ups each day. Very thin roll ups though with extra slim filters. I have asthma and although i do have a year round asthma/smoking related cough its rare that the smoking actually affects my breathing or respiratory enough for me to need to use inhalers.

Bought an e cig, Vapito P-I Mini (Sub ohm) and Mr Wicked's Premier e-liquid (Wicked tobacco) 50/50 PG/VG.

Had a few drags yesterday on 30 and 40w and almost immediately after exhaling i could feel my breathing getting tighter and tighter and it was difficult to breathe. Used Ventolin straight after and that seemed to ease things but it left me with a cough for the rest of the day.

Today i feel a fairly heavy pressure pressing down on my chest, coughing, difficulty breathing. It kind of feels like my lung capacity has gone down to 20-30% (I know this isn't the case). Breathing is fairly rapid. Had to use Ventolin inhaler about 6 times in the last 4 hours.

What the hell is going on? :(

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Probably a good idea to see your Dr. first off. Like already mentioned, you could be sensitive to VG or PG and only way to tell is using juice that has more and less of each component to pin point which one is giving you trouble. Please see your Dr. first though.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and Welcome,
IF you are still smoking AND vaping, you may be getting a bit too much nicotine.
What level of nicotine is in the juice you are using?
Nicotine from vaping is NOT absorbed in the lungs, so try a few draws into your mouth, "swish" it around and blow it out.
Be mindful NOT to swallow your vapor, gulping is not a good technique.

Cheers
I

VapePaw

Feb 11, 2018
Probably a good idea to see your Dr. first off. Like already mentioned, you could be sensitive to VG or PG and only way to tell is using juice that has more and less of each component to pin point which one is giving you trouble. Please see your Dr. first though.

Do you think seeing my doctor is really necessary? i was really hoping these symptoms would go in a few days. Can vaping really cause any serious respiratory complications?

Hi and Welcome,
IF you are still smoking AND vaping, you may be getting a bit too much nicotine.
What level of nicotine is in the juice you are using?
Nicotine from vaping is NOT absorbed in the lungs, so try a few draws into your mouth, "swish" it around and blow it out.
Be mindful NOT to swallow your vapor, gulping is not a good technique.

Cheers
I

Thanks, unfortunately continuing vaping was not an option. With each inhale my breathing was getting considerably worse. Think i only had 6 or 7 inhales and that was yesterday around 4pm. I've not really smoked many cigarettes since because my breathing is not so good. Just one every few hours when i can't hold out longer lol.

I forgot to mention in my first post i did have an ecig about 18 months ago and never had these problems. Only vaped for about 2 months but back then i used to vape at 80w and would use 70/30 VG/PG and 60/40 VG/PG liquid with no problems. I got a sore throat a few times but nothing like this.

Its like as soon as the vapor hits my lungs its immediately restricting my airflow.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I forgot to mention in my first post i did have an ecig about 18 months ago and never had these problems. Only vaped for about 2 months but back then i used to vape at 80w and would use 70/30 VG/PG and 60/40 VG/PG liquid with no problems. I got a sore throat a few times but nothing like this.

Its like as soon as the vapor hits my lungs its immediately restricting my airflow.

What flavor did you use 18 months ago and what flavor are you using now?

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Do you think seeing my doctor is really necessary? i was really hoping these symptoms would go in a few days. Can vaping really cause any serious respiratory complications?
Any serious problems with breathing should be directed to your Dr.

VapePaw

Feb 11, 2018
What flavor did you use 18 months ago and what flavor are you using now?

I used the following 18 months ago: V-Juice 80/20 VG/PG 3mg Nicotine, Banana Custard, Tobacco, Blueberry. I also used Vampire Vape Ice Menthol 6mg Nicotine, 60/40 VG/PG

Now I'm using Mr Wicked's Premier E-Liquid (Wicked Tobacco) 3mg Nicotine and 50/50 VG/PG

What level of nicotine are you/did you use?

Again, you DO NOT have to inhale.
The nicotine will be absorbed in the mouth and sinuses.

If you are having problems breathing, as mentioned: Doctor.

Cheers
I

I'm using 3mg currently and i did used to use both 3mg and 6mg. I would use the 6mg in the mornings and switch over to 3mg in the evening.

I get what you mean, i just don't want to put it even in my mouth if i could possibly have an allergy to the flavoring. Maybe try another flavor without inhaling?

If I vape over 9watts I cough, lol. Try turning it down? Millions have quit smoking under 10watts.

Unfortunately the Vapito P-I Mini does not go down further than 30w. I don't think less than 30w would power the coil? Might have to buy a simple pen type ecig that is low watt as you said.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I used the following 18 months ago: V-Juice 80/20 VG/PG 3mg Nicotine, Banana Custard, Tobacco, Blueberry. I also used Vampire Vape Ice Menthol 6mg Nicotine, 60/40 VG/PG

Now I'm using Mr Wicked's Premier E-Liquid (Wicked Tobacco) 3mg Nicotine and 50/50 VG/PG

I'm using 3mg currently and i did used to use both 3mg and 6mg. I would use the 6mg in the mornings and switch over to 3mg in the evening.

I get what you mean, i just don't want to put it even in my mouth if i could possibly have an allergy to the flavoring. Maybe try another flavor without inhaling?

Unfortunately the Vapito P-I Mini does not go down further than 30w. I don't think less than 30w would power the coil? Might have to buy a simple pen type ecig that is low watt as you said.
    Maybe a new setup but I know people that change out the drip tip and vape mouth to lung @ 30 watts. Even 10 watts lower may be enuf.

VapePaw

Feb 11, 2018
    Maybe a new setup but I know people that change out the drip tip and vape mouth to lung @ 30 watts. Even 10 watts lower may be enuf.

Interesting, its just strange because i used to vape at 80w. Even gone up to 120 for a while but that gave me a sore throat!

Going to book a appointment in at the after hours GP this evening as my regular doctor is not open.

Just not sure, I'm kind of in two minds on if its the watt or the flavour. It doesn't seem likely to be the PG or VG considering the current blend isn't much different than what i have had previously.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5
    I have asthma and have been vaping for 3 years. My lungs are better on ecigs than analogs. Your symptoms sound like what happened to me when I vaped some 80vg juice. Once I switched back to 70VG all was fine. I would suggest you try vaping some straight unflavored PG and VG and see if either of those affect you at 100%. I have a feeling you are going to need to find/make juice that is thinner with less VG until you can find the sweet spot you can tolerate without affecting your lungs.

edit: I didnt read the whole thread and after seeing your last post above, it could also be a specific flavoring in the recipe if you have vaped similar VG/PG ratio juice in the past.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I don't think the PG/VG is similar "enough" to rule out too much PG or VG. It's not atypical for some vapers with asthma to have problems with too much VG and a "heavy" of "cloudy" feeling in the lungs. I would try your previous ratio and see how you do, but I'm also glad you scheduled a doctor's appointment to get things checked out. As you are isolating the PG/VG ratio (if your doc gives you the go ahead) I might suggest doing that unflavored, to rule out any possible flavoring issues.

I really think it may be the VG. You'd be surprised, if you have a sensitivity, how little can make a difference. I am PG sensitive and can't tolerate much more than 5--6% (in flavorings I cannot get in VG). Any more than that, I get a pretty extreme reaction (although it's to PG, not VG) but either one can do it.

If vaping is not for you there are other options like nic salt pouches which are a bit like nicotine lozenges, only they can be stronger and last longer. There is also Swedish snus, which is a good harm reduction method-- use it just like regular snus or dipping tobacco.

Best of luck, I hope you get it figured out. I think you probably can, but it may take some time.

Anna

Last edited:

classwife

Admin
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 9, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    I have COPD. I find that higher levels of VG give me more phlegm and a heavy lung feeling. I keep my liquid to no more than 30% VG and even better at 20%.

I had to go back down to 20% VG too for the same reasons - along with coughing.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    Again, you DO NOT have to inhale.
    The nicotine will be absorbed in the mouth and sinuses.

^^^^^^^

@VapePaw - Please believe the above statements.

I 100% agree with both of them! There are many others who do, too...because that's exactly how we have vaped for years.

I had the mild beginning stage of COPD for the last 10-12 years of the 42+ years that I smoked. Started vaping the way mentioned above in Nov. 2013. I totally quit the smokes less than 2 months later and haven't had 1 since then. I've had no physical problems with vaping that way and getting "my nic fix" for almost 4 1/2 years. Also, the previous evidence of my having mild COPD, is no longer there on test results! So, vaping without inhaling does work! :thumbs:

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2017
    I have COPD. I find that higher levels of VG give me more phlegm and a heavy lung feeling. I keep my liquid to no more than 30% VG and even better at 20%.
    I get that heavy feeling too but it goes away within about an hour. It does not hang around like it did with cigarettes.

Tomasius74

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2016
    @VapePaw maybe you should use a MTL atomizer at lower wattages (less than 15) in order to increase flavor while not inhaling large amounts of vapor. I also think you should see your doctor while experimenting setups and liquids.

Now, consider that there are some studies stating that smokers that suffer from asthma can improve their symptoms if they switch completely to vaping. Of course if someone already suffers from asthma, best thing is to avoid analogs and eCigs, but if not vaping means you will be smoking, then vaping is a safer (not 100%) alternative.

PHE 2018 Update says: An uncontrolled longitudinal study of 16 smokers with asthma who switched to vaping found improvements in lung function and respiratory symptoms which were maintained up to 24 months after switching (255). This was also observed in dual users

Even the NAS report that is not really vaping-friendly concludes: Conclusion 11-2. There is limited evidence for improvement in lung function and respiratory symptoms among adult smokers with asthma who switch to e-cigarettes completely or in part (dual use)

I hope you find the setup that works for you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread