Retro Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
I bought a new mech/rda combination and by all means it is beautiful. One problem: when I placed the order it looked like this, but in purple. Shortly after placing the order they said it was out of stock and changed the pictures - the drip tip was changed to a black tip rather than metal (which I would have done when it arrived anyway as I don't like metal tips EDIT: I don't like this tip on this rda but swapped it for one on my Reload and now both taste much better!) and the build deck was swapped for a retro one which you can see here.

Furthermore, my previous mechanical mods all have recessed switches rather than one you unscrew slightly and lock when not in use. Is it normal for this kind of switch to feel really loose? It spins around when I press it and just feels flimsy.

Back to the deck. I hadn't started vaping when these decks were common and I've not had much luck with side airflow in the past - I mostly bought this because its so damn preeetttty. Does anyone have any tips for coil height and how close to the airflow the coils should be on a deck like this?

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
I bought a new mech/rda combination and by all means it is beautiful. One problem: when I placed the order it looked like this, but in purple. Shortly after placing the order they said it was out of stock and changed the pictures - the drip tip was changed to a black tip rather than metal (which I would have done when it arrived anyway as I don't like metal tips EDIT: I don't like this tip on this rda but swapped it for one on my Reload and now both taste much better!) and the build deck was swapped for a retro one which you can see here.

Furthermore, my previous mechanical mods all have recessed switches rather than one you unscrew slightly and lock when not in use. Is it normal for this kind of switch to feel really loose? It spins around when I press it and just feels flimsy.

Back to the deck. I hadn't started vaping when these decks were common and I've not had much luck with side airflow in the past - I mostly bought this because its so damn preeetttty. Does anyone have any tips for coil height and how close to the airflow the coils should be on a deck like this?

I try to get the bottom of my coil visible through the air slot of my side flow rda's. Do you have a way to check the ohms of your coils once you get them installed on this rda?

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
I try to get the bottom of my coil visible through the air slot of my side flow rda's. Do you have a way to check the ohms of your coils once you get them installed on this rda?

Yeah, I use a tab prior to putting an rda onto a mech mod, even though I use the same build every time, just to be sure :)

That's how I've currently got the rda set up but it feels too...not airy but...hollow? is the best way I can describe it. Wondering if perhaps larger coils would work better but sadly I lost every coiling rod I have that isn't 2.8mm

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
Yeah, I use a tab prior to putting an rda onto a mech mod, even though I use the same build every time, just to be sure :)

That's how I've currently got the rda set up but it feels too...not airy but...hollow? is the best way I can describe it. Wondering if perhaps larger coils would work better but sadly I lost every coiling rod I have that isn't 2.8mm

I can't tell from the pics if you have any way to adjust airflow.

When I think of hollow, and my interpretation may be way off here, it's often due to not enough power or poor build. What is your build reading at on the tab?

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
I can't tell from the pics if you have any way to adjust airflow.

When I think of hollow, and my interpretation may be way off here, it's often due to not enough power or poor build. What is your build reading at on the tab?

There's no way to adjust airflow, maybe its just more airflow than I'm used to although my reload certainly has larger airflow holes and I have them wide open. My build is 0.15ohms (I use Samsung 20S batteries). I moved them slightly further out and a little higher up and its partly fixed the problem, so I think I'm just going to order some slightly larger coiling tools and see if filling up the space more helps. I also rewicked tighter and that has helped too.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I have the same mod kit but mine is the old style. You're right in that it's pretty but the RDA is horrible at best. I bought it because it looks nice but I don't use it. The button is loose and the voltage drop is bad. My advice is do what I did. Put it somewhere that you can look at it and consider it more as art than a mod and RDA to use.

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
I have the same mod kit but mine is the old style. You're right in that it's pretty but the RDA is horrible at best. I bought it because it looks nice but I don't use it. The button is loose and the voltage drop is bad. My advice is do what I did. Put it somewhere that you can look at it and consider it more as art than a mod and RDA to use.

I've not found the voltage drop to be bad at all. The first three mech mods I bought were all terrible and I didn't realise until I got a good one how awful their voltage drop was. Now I'm wondering if perhaps even my good ones (including this mech) are actually crap too and I need to try a really good mechanical mod!

I've renegaded this rda to using for the flavours I make that aren't salvageable, unless when I have a bigger coiling tool it tastes a lot better - otherwise I wont waste good juices on it when I have so many failures readily available haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread