[Review] Caliburn Pod Kit by UWell - Is It Really That Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOneVape_Review

Jan 21, 2019
Malaysia
Hi there! TheOneVape_Review is back once again with a pod system review - The Caliburn by uwell. The Caliburn has been gaining a lot of hype ever since it came out so I decided to get on the hype train to see if it was true. In this review, I will break down into different categories for easier understanding of the Caliburn based on my experience.

CONTENTS
--------BASICS --------

Introduction
Specifications & Features
Safety Features
Color Options
Packaging Content
Caliburn Components

-------IN DEPTH-------

Build Quality
Operation
Performance ( Wicking, Airflow, USB Charging, Pod & Battery Life, Flavor & Vapor Production )

------OPINIONS------

Final Thoughts
Pros & Cons

---------PRICE---------

Where To Get
Price Of Caliburn Kit & Replacement Pods

INTRODUCTION
The Caliburn by uwell is a very popular pod system in the market right now and has been gaining lots of praise since it came out. It is well known for its pod life and flavor production and some even said that it performs better than the Orion. Just a brief overview of the Caliburn - It is a refillable stick style pod system just like the Vladdin and Infinix, but different in shape. It has both intuitive button and draw activated functions. The Caliburn comes with 2 pods, which each has an e-liquid capacity of 2 ml and rated at 1.4 Ω. The maximum wattage range is 11 W, but it uses direct voltage, meaning the wattage will decrease as the voltage decreases. The built-in battery capacity is 520 mAh which can be charged via micro-USB cable.

How does the Caliburn performs and is it really better than the Orion? Let me talk more about it, show some pictures that I took below and give you my final thoughts.

SPECIFICATIONS & FEATURES
Height : 110 mm
Width : 21.2 mm
Depth : 11.6 mm
Weight : 30 g
Material : Aluminium Alloy, Polypropylene, Polycarbonate, ABS
Maximum Wattage : 11 W
Standby Current : < 50 μA
Voltage Range : 3.2 - 4.0 V
Resistance Range : 1.4 Ω ± 0.1 Ω
Battery Capacity : 520 mAh
E-Liquid Capacity : 2 ml
1.4 Ω Pods
Draw Activated / Manual Button
LED Battery Life Indicator Light
Top Filling Method
Side & Bottom Airflow
Pro-FOCS Flavor Technology
Magnetic Snap-In Connection
Micro-USB Charging

SAFETY FEATURES
Draw Activated Mechanism Fault Diagnosis Function
Short Circuit Protection ( Flash Red 3 Times )
Low Power Alert ( Flash Red 10 Times )
Vaping Over Time Alert; 10 Seconds ( Flash Green 5 Times )

COLOR OPTIONS

Color Options / Picture Credits: TheVape69

PACKAGING CONTENT
1 x Caliburn
1 x 1.4 Ω Spare Pod
1 x Micro-USB Cable
1 x Warning Card
1 x User Manual

Packaging Content

CALIBURN COMPONENTS
Drip Tip / Fill Port Cover
Pod
Body
Side Airflow Inlets
Fire Button
LED Light Indicators
Micro-USB Port / Airflow Inlets

BUILD QUALITY
BODY

The body of the Caliburn is very solid and well-made. The finish holds on well and don't have any scratches after weeks of using it. I dropped it at waist height once by accident and the body did leave any dents. The fire button and air pressure sensors are both very responsive and did not lag once. The fire button does not have any rattles or play as it is secured in place. LED light indicators are bright enough to use outdoors. The magnets that hold the pod in click is very strong and have not had the pod dropped out or coming loose on me. I have used the micro-USB port for charging several times and is holding it in pretty well. I am unsure if the magnets or the USB port will weakened or come out overtime, but so far so good.

POD

The 1.4 Ω pod has a mouth piece on top which also acts as a top fill cover, is very comfortable in the mouth. The mouth piece feels very flimsy and might break anytime when it is removed. But surprisingly, each time when I remove the mouth piece to refill, I will give it a few good squeeze to see how well it holds up and it did not crack. Both magnets at the bottom are in place and did not drop out. I would much prefer if the mouth piece has more grip on it to remove as it can be quite slippery to remove sometimes due to its texture.

OPERATION OF THE CALIBURN
FILLING & REFILLING

The fill port on the pod is 3.5 mm wide on both sides and the bottle tip fits in just nice to refill. When refilling it, tilt your pod sides to sides to ensure an even distribution of e-liquid in the pod as the coil head are in the middle of the pod. You are able to check your e-liquid capacity at the side transparent window. There is a min. line marked on the pod and it serves as a gauge by letting you know when it is time to refill.

3.5 mm Wide Fill Ports

Transparent Window To View Capacity

CONNECTING OF POD TO BODY

The pod are connected to the body of Caliburn by magnets to make a connection. There is an extra step for the pod to work is by pressing it down again and you will hear a 'click' sound which means the connection is complete. If you do not press the pod down, there will be no vapor produced.

Magnets To Make Contact

LED LIGHT INDICATIONS

Solid Green Light - Stays on when vaping to indicate sufficient power ( > 60 % )

Solid Blue Light - Stays on when vaping to indicate medium power ( 30 - 59 % )

Solid Red Light - Stays on when vaping to indicate low power ( < 30 % )

Flash Green 3 Times - Power On / Off ( Press fire button 5 times )

Flash Green 5 Times - Vaping Over Time ( 10 seconds )

Flash Red 3 Times - Short Circuit Alert

Flash Red 10 Times - Low Battery Alert

Flash Red Slowly - The device is in low power during charging

Flash Blue Slowly - The device is in medium power during charging

Flash Green Slowly - The device is sufficient during charging

Green Light Constantly On - The device is fully charged

Other Notes:

• When taking a puff, LED light will show the color of your remaining battery capacity.

• Green light will turn off automatically once fully charged with a portable charger.

PERFORMANCE
WICKING

I would let the pod sit for 5-10 minutes after filling it up to let the cotton be fully saturated. Just a reminder to all, not to take a puff on an empty pod as this is a draw activated device. The Caliburn wicks really well and I am able to chain vape on it. I have not experience any dry hits except when its time to change to a new pod. I used 50/50, 35mg nic salts during the whole testing phase and it has never leaked on me, just some condensation. I wouldn't consider it as a minor one, it will sometimes form near the contact points and nothing has happened, yet. The pod wicks well and is able to handle chain vaping. I have seen on this sub that some people have problems with spit back issues but I did not experience any. On a fresh pod, the juice will make its way up the mouthpiece and will always get into my mouth every time I vape, but the next refill onward, it stopped coming up through the mouthpiece.

Condensation Formed

AIRFLOW

I thought the only airflow holes was only at the sides at first, but after purging on it, I realized that the other airflow passage is through the micro-USB port. The vape is kind of a loose MTL / Restrictive DTL vape but can able to achieve a little tighter MTL draw by covering the side airflow. I tried covering all 3 airflow ( sides and USB port ) and I get a medium restrictive MTL. It isn't practical to cover the USB port to get a tighter draw as it is just weird to vape it like that. But if you want, you could. The vape is a little bit on the noisy side so if you are planning to go on stealth vaping, this wouldn't be the one for you. Crackling sound is very minimal and will only make that sound if you leave it untouched overnight.

CHARGING

UWell did not state what's the charging rate for the Caliburn, so I assume it is not charging at 1 Amps. Please correct me if I am wrong. I timed the charging speed from a flat Caliburn to a fully charged Caliburn and it turns out to be fully charged within 38 minutes. That is really pretty fast and the best part of it is it supports pass-through charging as well. I noticed when the Caliburn is charging, it will be turned on automatically and there is no way of turning it off.

POD & BATTERY LIFE

The pod life is pretty good for a pod system. I get 6 refills ( 12 ml ) out of it before changing out to a new pod. As for battery life, I will usually vape it till the battery is flat and that took about 1 full pod to 1⅓ . I would say the battery life is somewhat average but good enough to last for a whole day ( depending on how much you vape as well ). When the battery life decreases, the performance you get out of the Caliburn is not get great as well. I would like more if they made this a constant power pod device instead of direct voltage.

FLAVOR & VAPOR PRODUCTION

I really like the flavor off the Caliburn. I find that the flavor is very consistent when you take a long drag but when taking a shorter drag, flavor is not as consistent. The vapor production is very good as well and like I said, not very good for stealth vaping.

THROAT HIT

I don't usually do a throat hit portion but I feel that it is worth mentioning. Throat hit getting off the Caliburn is really very weak when taking small puffs. I am a huge huge fan of throat hits but it doesn't provide the throat hit I am looking for. But if you want a solid punch to the throat, take a long drag out of it.

FINAL THOUGHTS
UWell really did a good job making the Caliburn and I can see why a lot of people are liking it. It is very lightweight and pocket friendly which is a huge pro for me. I am still not used to holding the Caliburn like how I would usually hold the Orion ( wrap it around my hands ). How I prefer holding is by holding it like a cigarette, in between my index and middle finger. It can be a little weighty but you will get used to it. I like how they made the Caliburn a button and draw activated device because if one of them fails on you, you have another alternative to use it as compared to it being totally spoiled. Options for the airflow is not many but it would been better if there is an airflow adjustment so we can choose the type of restrictiveness we like. I know it is almost impossible to have an adjustable airflow due to its design but it is something I would like to mention. What I don't like which I find it a safety hazard is that the Caliburn will turn on automatically no matter what when it is charging. The only solution to reduce is risk of auto-firing is by removing the pod which can be quite a hassle to me but on the bright side, this supports pass-through and it charges relatively quick. Now comes the question that you all have been wondering - Is the flavor and pod lifespan better than the Orion? To me, yes, the flavor is definitely better and has a better consistency in flavor. The flavor on my Orion mutes too quickly and flavor consistency isn't that great as well. Pod lifespan on the Caliburn is also way better as I am able to get 6 full refills before tasting a burnt taste whereas on the Orion, I am only able to get 3-4 refills before getting a burnt taste.

Who is the Caliburn for? The Caliburn is for people who are looking for a simple device which doesn't require customization, such as changing of wattage or adjustment of airflow and at the same time, providing a full spot on flavor and a good pod life.

Would I recommend the Caliburn to you? Yes, definitely. It is actually a very simplistic, yet good performing device in terms of flavor and pod life.

WHAT IS GOOD
  • Lightweight And Pocket-Friendly
  • Clear Window For Viewing E-Liquid Capacity
  • Good Flavor
  • Good Pod Life
  • Charges Quickly
  • Good Enough Battery Life To Last Throughout The Day
  • Supports Pass-Through
  • Smooth Airflow
  • No Leaking
  • Zero Spit Back
  • Easy To Use
  • Good Build Quality

WHAT ISN'T
  • Automatically Turns On When Charging
  • Condensation Forms Around The Whole Connection Port
  • Weak Throat Hit For Short Puffs
  • Mouth Piece Is A Little Hard To Remove
  • Performance Drops Quite A Bit As Battery Decreases ( Subjective )
  • Not Suitable For Stealth Vaping ( Subjective )

PRICE OF CALIBURN POD KIT
ElementVape - $29.95
VaporDNA - $26.99
VapeWild - $29.99

PRICE OF REPLACEMENT PODS ( 4 Pcs / Box )
ElementVape - $12.95
VaporDNA - $14.99
VapeWild - $14.99

Thank you for taking the time to read my review on the Caliburn Pod Kit by UWell. This is TheOneVape_Review, signing off.

REVIEWER DISCLAIMER: I only type reviews during my free time so some products may take quite some time to be posted up. All products are used for 2 weeks or more.

PRODUCT DISCLAIMER: The Caliburn Pod Kit was not sponsored by any companies or shops. This product that I reviewed was bought with my own money.

PICTURE DISCLAIMER: All pictures posted in my threads are purely taken by me and only me. Do not use without my acknowledgment or giving any credits.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Izan

TheOneVape_Review

Jan 21, 2019
Malaysia
Hi, it’s totally understandable. But it’s not a child pencil case, it’s a custom leather made pencil case. The reason why I made this picture like this is due to the Caliburn resembling a highlighter so I thought it would be match the photo theme. Since I’ve explained my part, do you still think it’s inappropriate? If you still do, I’ll remove the picture. Thank you!
Thanks.
Please remove the photo of the Caliburn in a child's pencil case. (First photo in series)
IMO: It is completely inappropriate.

Cheers
I

• Optimistic
Reactions: Izan

TheOneVape_Review

Jan 21, 2019
Malaysia
I'm excited to try mine out and soon as the mail man drops it off! Does anyone know - do all of the kits come with 2 pods? I was little confused by the listings...it seemed a bit ambiguous if it came with 1 or 2 pods.

Anyway, looks like a nice device.
Hi thanks for reading :) most kits come with 2 pods including the caliburn. Some kits only come with 1 like the drag nano.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread