Right now that Dr.Oz show is going to talk about e-cig dangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Technically the "expert" didn't lie. There has been ONE fatality involving eliquid. What NONE of the ANTZ will tell you though is that one fatality was ruled a suicide and the victim directly injected the juice into his veins. Of course that is nowhere near close to a normal case.

Not challenging ya, but would luv to have a link to your story! Why? So that when confronted with dat ONE fatality by da ANTZ, I want to be 'armed' to shove their 'spiel' up their arses...

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Not challenging ya, but would luv to have a link to your story! Why? So that when confronted with dat ONE fatality by da ANTZ, I want to be 'armed' to shove their 'spiel' up their arses...

That is from that CDC report on calls to poison control centers, published in April.

Here is one link (horrible story..... blather .. danger.. blather... but just one link : E-cigs' liquid nicotine causing poisonings - CNN.com

One person used the liquid to commit suicide by injecting it, according to the CDC.

They could not resist preceding the quoted text by:
It can even be deadly.
:facepalm: So is a freight train, if I throw myself in front of one to commit suicide :facepalm:

/edit:
skimming over the .. poison...dangerous.. blather.. article...

G., the mother in Oklahoma, said she has since moved her liquid nicotine up and out of her son's reach.
"It smells like candy. It really isn't," she told KFOR. "This really can hurt you."
:facepalm:
Yeah.. keep e-liquid out of the reach of children. Like alcohol, bleach, and cleaning supplies. Good idea. It is called "parenting".

/edit2:
Can I trust my eyes? (still skimming over that article)

"Responsibly marketed and properly regulated, it is possible that e-cigarettes could benefit public health if they help significantly reduce the number of people who use conventional cigarettes and die of tobacco-related disease," said Matthew Myers, president of Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, in a statement.

Says who? of what? Miracles never cease.

Last edited by a moderator:

-mj01-

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2014
PA, USA
His demo was using a container labeled "liquid nicotine". He also talked about the colorful labels that the kids might not be able to read but looked pretty and that the kids see their parents do something and they decide to imitate the behavior, which is bad.

He did end the show by saying something along the lines that his concern is the packaging and having the liquid nicotine get into the hands of children. He applauded the FDA for getting involved to regulate it in the near future because e-cigarettes have helped a great number of people quit smoking.

The end message was "better" than I thought he'd give. But to be fair, he is/was a ......

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
I believe all the media, and shows like Oz, know that they have gone as far as they can with stories on the horrors of tobacco. When viewers hear another "scare" story about smoking cigarettes or dipping they "tune out" the same way they are doing with stories on "Global Warming".

The media needed a new "scare" story and e-cigs fit right in. Tobacco related, but "new". This will continue until they get all the punitive rules, regulations, and taxes that cigarettes enjoy then they will move on to something else.

redddog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
Rochester, NY
Just looked at that clip.

Really that guy is such a horse's a**. The "brain" thing? Was that a joke?

He boarders on dangerous on many levels and is downright deceptive on all levels. The fact that he wears scubs on that show should be addressed. Why would he do that? Sheould we believe that he is such a busy doctor that he didn't have time to change out of his scrubs before the show started? No. It's made to make him appear like he's a practicing Dr. He may be technically. I don't know. But he is not keeping regular Dr hours.

The CDC guy to me, is more culpable. He's a working professional. He has all the data we have and he's choosing to mislead by omission. The difference in the word "death" vs "deaths" is not insignificant. He knows damn well that that little drop on the glove was misleading. He knows that the one death was by injection and he knows that the relative number of medical emergencies due to juice is statistically insignificant.

Oz is a fool. We all know that. It amazes me that people are even in those seats at his shows. People are actually that naive?

Anyway, it was amusing in a way to see that guy do his act on this. What a scmuck.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Fun story: My 10th grade history teacher once sent my parents a long, rambling letter about how she was convinced I was involved with "devil worship" and it was only a matter of time before Satan would order me to murder my whole family in their sleep or some such nonsense. The source of her certitude was the fact that I wore heavy metal t-shirts. Ahh, the 80s.

PS - A few years after I graduated, that teacher wound up going to jail for having sex with several of her students.
When my son was a first grader at a very strict Southern Baptist school, his teacher pulled me to the side and told me she was concerned about the drawings my son had been doodling on paper. She said it looked like he was drawing the devil, and then showed the drawing to me.

I began laughing out loud when I saw it. She said what is so funny?

I told her that the drawings were of his favorite video game character - Sonic the Hedgehog.

I kinda doubt that this teacher ever had sex just based on her unattractive appearance, but different strokes for different folks. Pun intended.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
For such a bright man it is a shame he has fallen into the world of subjective journalism - talk show host.

My wife was watching him the other day. I has to leave the room because he is a fool. Isn't he the guy who attacked apple juice for having too much arsenic in it?

Isn't he also kooky as in anti vaccine? Scary that he is actually a pretty good heart surgeon.... Last time I checked I don;t go to a heart surgeon for advice on nutrition unless it is for the heart.

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
What a nutjob. I read up a lot on the chemicals used and nicotine dosage... Stuffs not dangerous at all unless you drink the ejuice straight.
And not fatal. That is, regular ejuice. (not sure about more concentrated nic that can be bought for mixing, but the discussion is about common e liquids)

There was one report I read where a woman tried to commit suicide and drank a 30ml bottle of 12 or 18 nic juice. At the ER, they gave her activated charcoal, monitored her for a while, and released her for psych follow up.

The other case was a month later, the SAME woman now drank 32mg nic liquid, 2 30ml bottles. Yea she was sick, vomiting, chills sweats. Again, activated charcoal and released her.

I found not one case of fatality other than a small toddler in Sweden? And that's more of a case of parental neglect.

Strange how little ol me has more facts than the great and powerful Oz...

dhock50

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2013
Sedalia, MO. USA
I have always watched Dr. Oz, but this segment made me furious! Such lies and misinformation. His so-called expert made it seem that we all vape pure nicotine. And then to say that vapers take in much more nicotine than if they were smoking (can't remember exactly how much more) I immediately posted my comments on his facebook page, I hope others do too. He will probably not read it, but made me feel a little better. I am done with Dr. Oz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread