Ripple's I06 Tank Sleeve Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAlzado

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2011
USA
Okay seriously Ripple, That is way cool.

I've been using the ce2 metal tube also on my UFS/I06. This may not be a good idea but I wrap the I06 w/ about 6 or 7
loops of stretched teflon tape, tight, til it's slightly larger than the inside diameter of the tube. Then screw the atty almost BUT NOT QUITE all the way down on an old ego batt. Lube the tape w/ a couple drops of juice... and bang it down with my hammer! No, I'm not kidding. :oops:

The tube slices off the excess teflon and I kinda rub it off with my thumb leaving the I06 lodged in the tube.
I hope hot teflon isn't dangerous.
(I am supposed to have 6 toes, right?) :p

RippleInStillWater

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Land Of Corruption

I've been using the ce2 metal tube also on my UFS/I06. This may not be a good idea but I wrap the I06 w/ about 6 or 7
loops of stretched teflon tape, tight, til it's slightly larger than the inside diameter of the tube. Then screw the atty almost BUT NOT QUITE all the way down on an old ego batt. Lube the tape w/ a couple drops of juice... and bang it down with my hammer! No, I'm not kidding. :oops:

The tube slices off the excess teflon and I kinda rub it off with my thumb leaving the I06 lodged in the tube.

I don't know -- I dug this up on the web........

In cases of "Teflon toxicosis," as the bird poisonings are called, the lungs of exposed birds hemorrhage and fill with fluid, leading to suffocation. DuPont acknowledges that the fumes can also sicken people, a condition called "polymer fume fever." DuPont has never studied the incidence of the fever among users of the billions of non-stick pots and pans sold around the world. Neither has the company studied the long-term effects from the sickness, or the extent to which Teflon exposures lead to human illnesses believed erroneously to be the common flu.

loft

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
CT

Less work to just crimp it bud. And safer.

MAlzado

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2011
USA
Less work to just crimp it bud. And safer.
Okay. You had me at less work. I'll try the crimp thing... but I still get to hit it with my hammer, right? :p

(Oh, about the bird thing... Yep, hot teflon'll bury 'em. so will avocado, smoke, Lysol, Glade, oven cleaner, & just about anything else that comes in aerosol form. Parrots have an insanely sensitive respiratory tract. Pretty much anything airborne besides air kills 'em. Might be a little too restrictive barometer for most people.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Ripple, here is another opt for you that works very nicely = you can order Delrin tubing over the internet at many different places, if you order a 10 mm Delrin tubing with a 8-8.01mm drilled out inside opening this will work perfectly, you can then cut your tube to length, drill your hole where you want on the bottom of the tube and then heat up that tube with a hair dryer and push it right on to the i06. I have to heat mine to get em on and to get em off with the hair dryer but once it reaches a certain Temp they slide on and off like butter and it works great.

Last edited:

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
The I06 is tapered though... No?

Doesnt matter, if you heat up the Delrin it expands, and when it does the i06 slides on like butter, heat it up and off it comes again, ya only gotta take it out when it dies and that's a good 3 months for me it seems. Telling you guys order some Delrin sleeves on the internet they work great and there is no air loss like the metal tubes have, this results in better performance

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Did you try the crimping, mwa? There is no air loss at all, its a tight fit....:)

Believe me Ripple I have been using the i06 since Issac sent me the Beta's to test out and working with it in just about every possible way. The tight Delrin sleeve I got and heating them up and pressing them on and off with heat leaves absolutely not one drop of possible air escaping, Crimping does when comparing the two and I'm much happier with the heated press fit of the Delrin, you should try it, only tool needed is a hair dryer after you cut them to the size you want, unless your drilling a hole of course in what case you would also need a drill. I think it's that most people find it easier to rip apart an old Carto or 901 or any tube that would work instead of ordering the Delrin, I'll take the Delrin path along with a couple other things I'm using with these i06's :2cool: but it's what makes you happy in the end so if ya like crimping then Crimp :blush:

RippleInStillWater

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Land Of Corruption
The only ones I blew in a tank so far was a 3.5Ω that I let get too dry and a 1.5Ω that I cleaned and forgot to reprime -- maybe I just have good luck but cleaning them every two weeks the (2) 1.8s and (2) 2.5s have not died in 2 months or so.....:thumb:

I'm set as far as I'm concerend, I06s and rebuildables will do me just fine......:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread