Riva 510 Special edition Batt failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

wood duck

Feb 15, 2011
Australia
G'day all welcome to my first ever thread about anything.

I started vaping about 3 weeks ago and unfortunately got completely ripped of on my first attempt with an Elusion starter kit. I think these barely even rate as vaping.

Then ordered a Riva special edition kit from L.F , Kit took 11 days to arrive as I live in Australia and when it did I had my first real taste of vaping OH YEAH Analogs went straight to the bin this is great .

Then the unthinkable happened when I went to use the second batt out of the kit . I guess the really annoying part is that with this batt I followed the instructions to the letter "Charge for 8 hours use for 20 minutes and charge for 1 more hour" The other one which is still working I just ripped out of the pack and started vaping . The dead batt was not D.O.A so I can only assume that following instructions was wrong and I killed it . :facepalm:

Anyway now I need a new Batt and sending the dead one back to the USA just seems like too much waiting . Should I go for another Riva or just get something else a little more reliable and if so What should I get?

A 1 Beauty Bonza me Mates (translation Thanks in advance for listening to my Gabbling)

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
Hi wood duck and welcome to ECF. The Riva is a good kit and LF will most likely make good on the dead batt. Email them or contact them through their web site. With that said and the issues with getting goods to or Aussie buddies I would suggest buying another kit too. Look you know it works and there is nothing worse than having equipment failure and stressing about shipping times. So order a few batts and atty's while you are working to get the defective batt replaced. Best of luck.

JudgeVape

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2011
D.C./Maryland
Take this for what it is worth, the experience of one person, but I do not recommend the Riva SE batts from LF. I now own three. One was DOA. One died in 5 days, just stopped working entirely. One still works about 2 weeks in.

These batts seem to be slightly better than the regular black and gold Riva batteries for maybe the first 30 minutes off the charger but even that difference may just be my imagination. However, after 30 minutes they go from slightly better to definitely worse. The power on these things drops off badly. The regular Riva batteries provide a much more consistent, satisfying vape and only drop off hard when the battery is almost drained.

I also have one of those extra large 1300 mah Riva batteries from another vendor and it is inferior to standard Riva batts as well, feeling like it is providing less current to the atomizer at all times.

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
Thanks jfoobar. I do not know anything about the SE so I was stating to order another Riva. I would now change my advise to say order a standard Riva. The standard Riva I have has had no issues nor have the ones 4 collegues at work bought from LF (all of which are 4+ months old). I do not know of anyone personally using the SE.

wood duck

Feb 15, 2011
Australia
Hey jfoobar Thanks for letting me in on that, the second batt from that pack only recharged once and then died as well which sucks cause I have nothing else to vape with and back to analogs. I've since ordered another 2 Riva kits from different ends of the earth and neither are SE packs. I wonder what the actual difference is with the SE and why it is clearly so bad when I'd have thought that the whole idea of a special edition would be that it was actually a better build or something.

dekalbave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA, United States
well, supposedly the SE is a newer battery technology that delivers a steady 3.7volts, as opposed to having circuitry that drops it down when you actually vape.

I would definitely e-mail customer support at Liberty Flights. Abe seems to pretty much take people at their word, so you might get a new battery before having to send the dead one back. No promises, but that's my experience with them.

Hrtbrkr1965

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2010
Indiana
I would also suggest playing with the battery when putting it on the charger! Sometimes 1 of my wifes batteries acts funny when putting it on the charger! The blue light doesn't blink when screwed in! I usually take it back off press the button down a few times and screw it back on and sometimes press the button after it's screwed on the charger and it fires up and blinks then charges! It only happens every once in a while but when it does that works for us!
You may also look at the center post to see if maybe it's pushed down to far as sometimes when it's over tight it pushes the post down and doesn't make the connection!
Hope it helps! Good Luck!

pkj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2010
Paula in Arizona
You should contact Liberty Flights customer service. I believe there was something goofy in the factory and some of the batteries were not up to standard.

Here is a tip that may help you, an mentioned in the post above this one.

Pull the battery post up a wee - very little - wee - bit. It almost sounds as though your batteries are not connecting with charger or atomizer.

Go here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/liberty-flights/156615-ego-t-riva-se-2.html#post2582046
and look at Post # 15

A visual is better than my explanation.

Please give this a try and if it does not work, then contact Liberty Flights. They have excellent customer service. They can't help you or fix it or replace it if you don't let them know about the problems. ok? ok.

Paula

wood duck

Feb 15, 2011
Australia
Thanks everyone for your help Liberty Flights have come through on top and have posted me a new set of Riva.
They are champions.
On an aside the first thing LF asked me to do was try the centre post pull up technique with the first batt and we then realised the post was not even connected and fell straight out . I think the problem was the solder had run before they connected it properly . The second batt I dont know, It was a totally different problem.
Thanks agian

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
I had 3 Rivas from LF, and all 3 failed within months due to the switch collapsing into the housing. I understand that the newer ones have a better switch. In just under a year of vaping, I have gone through a bunch of Tornados ( I beleive eGo's private labeled for TW). Two have had catastrophic failure of the mofset causing them to smoke like mad.

Gave up totally on this style of battery and have an icon which is about the same size, but uses a replaceable 14500 battery. These batteries will eventually fail, of course, but I can get them from DE for a few bucks a piece. Lot better than $15 to $25 for the ejo style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread