The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Riva or eGo?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by christianadivine, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. christianadivine

christianadivine Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    So I WAS pretty certain that I wanted to upgrade to an eGo but then saw some people saying the Riva was better. Can someone possibly point out the difference between the two and why one is better than the other? I wanted the eGo because I have spare 510 parts therefore, I can use them with my eGo and they don't have to go to waste, plus it seems like the eGo is pretty popular. Any feedback is appreciated. =D

2. SimpleSins

SimpleSins Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 18, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I don't know that there is a whole lot of difference between the eGo and Riva. The Riva has a slightly longer life battery. Both will use all your 510 atties and carts.

3. Mr.Self_Destruct

Mr.Self_Destruct Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 14, 2010
    Queens, NY
    Some people say the Riva is better because they are 750 mAH as opposed to the ego that is 650mAh. They also seem to like the button better. They do make ego's that are 900mAH and also 1000 mAh. (i believe that's right)

I have a 650mAh ego, a 1300 mAh hello 016, and a 900 mAh DSE-905V3

The hello 016 lasts significantly longer than the ego and even the 905.

4. Nobodyatall

Nobodyatall Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 7, 2010
    Phoenix
    The RiVa just seems to be an eGo variant with a little more battery capacity. It still uses 510 atomizer and other paraphenalia.

My eGo is a RiVa version.

5. DonKarnageTX

DonKarnageTX Full Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Murphy Texas
    im in the same book as you was going for the eGo heard about the riva then the hello now i am torn lol from what im reading the riva is a better battery with a longer life span on a charge and has a nice rubber button on it but the eGo seems to be super popular around here both cost about the same also think they both use 510 parts but i could be wrong i would like riva and eGo owners or owners of both to chime in here

edit-in the time tnhat it took me to post this you got plenty of answers

6. vapordraggin101

vapordraggin101 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 6, 2009
    Hi, I have a Riva from Eastmall.com, it has a 750 battery where a most ego's have a 650 battery, also the button is suppost to be better on the Riva as in easier to use and more of a rubber feel. I'm sure you will get plenty of feedback on the subject. I was looking to buy another Riva from VaporJunction.com but there out. Good Luck!

7. DonKarnageTX

DonKarnageTX Full Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Murphy Texas
    so is it a riva or an eGo im confused

8. DonKarnageTX

DonKarnageTX Full Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Murphy Texas
    oh dang i just found out what a wetbox is another iron is thrown in the fire

9. Nobodyatall

Aug 7, 2010
    Phoenix
    If you look at a Joye eGo & RiVa eGo they are the same design.

Just different manufacturers.

eGo is not a brand, just a product name or design from different people it seems.

10. christianadivine

Jun 26, 2010
    one more question, is the Riva made by a different manufacturer than joyetech, because the riva posted on vaporjunction is fairly cheaper than some of the eGo prices i was seeing? or is it slb's version of the eGo?

from what i'm hearing, the Riva's winning thus far. i prefer a rubbery feeling button, it's a tad cheaper (at least the set i'm looking at now), and it lasts a tad longer. =P

11. SimpleSins

Jul 18, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I would guess it's a Riva since eGo and Riva are two different models of essentially the same e-cig, with the primary variation being differences in battery capacity.

12. cozzicon

cozzicon Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 19, 2010
    Chicago IL
    Unless they sell the Riva with authentic Joye atomizers, I'd check the price differential- two real Joye atties will run $14 to $17.

In my experience, which is somewhat limited, the Joye atties are worth it. That being said- I have not tried alternative atties other than bad no name knockoffs.

13. SimpleSins

Jul 18, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I do believe eGo is the brand name for this style PV manufactured by the Joye people. Riva is manufactured by a different company and does not call itself an eGo. It's similar to calling a tissue a Kleenex. Not all tissues are actually Kleenex brand, but we've come to use it as a generic term for one of those things we grab when we sneeze.

14. sanfordf

sanfordf Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

The important thing is that you're not burning tobacco.

15. Nobodyatall

Aug 7, 2010
    Phoenix
    Beyond my knowledge and no instant google answer either.

Exactly who RiVa is and exactly who runs Joye is a mystery I cannot decypher. It sure looks like they are from competing factories in China. I get a sense of that when I see a flood of different, almost identical products from that inscrutable land.

Perhaps someone with the inside scoop will come by and enlighten us all.

16. Nobodyatall

Aug 7, 2010
    Phoenix
    I'm not trying to be argumentative, just reporting what I am seeing here in my hands.

This was sold to me as a RiVa product and is indeed marked eGo on the box and has the soft rubber button that people remark on. The unit itself, of course, has no marking, just like any other eGo I have seen. The documentation references the 750ma battery, but carries no manufacturers data. *shrugs* Could be a knock off, could be real, no proof either way. However, it does the job and that's all that matters.

I'm mentioning all this in light of the normal slipshod way in which Chinese industry works. They are so consistent in their inconsistency. And so respectful of branding, copyright, patent, and IP rights. The way they work, I wonder if one Chinese manufacturer even has the right to sue another for branding, patent, etc. infringement. I would guess not, in the Chinese legal system.

Curious, no?

17. mistinthewoods

mistinthewoods Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Feb 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, MI
    EGo, schmego. Riva shmeva. There's not enough difference to worry about. I have a Riva and like it. Some other guy has an eGo and likes it equally as much. Buy the one that's the cheapest is what I say unless the difference in the button is really important to you. Then go with the one you like. Personal differences in vaping habits more than masks the 100 mAh difference in the batteries and I doubt if there's really a discernible difference there.

18. mistinthewoods

mistinthewoods Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Feb 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, MI
    Oh yeah, and as far as attys go, you're gonna need more than 2 anyway and they don't last forever so buy the 510 attys that you like. Simple. :)

19. christianadivine

Jun 26, 2010
    i have 3 back up attys (genuine joye 510's) because i'm currently using the joye 510 and just wanted an upgrade. i think i'm going to go with the Riva. the price and rubbery feeling button are more appealing to me. LOL.

thanks for the feedback. it seems they're too much alike to really split hairs over. =P thanks, i was thinking that too. that if i don't like the attys on the Riva, I can just buy genuine joye 510 ones. :)

20. christianadivine

Jun 26, 2010
    thanks everyone for the great feedback! think i'm going to go with the Riva. =]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.