Status
Not open for further replies.

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
I have an RM2 got 12 wraps of Nichrome 30 at 2.4ishΩ.

Got another RM2 that with the same coil the best I can get is .6Ω.

Where is the extra resistance coming from?

I took it apart but couldn't find anything unusual (cept' some gunk under the ceramic). Which leads me to my next question....anyone got a link to the RM2 rebuild thread (I think it was custom-classics' thread...not sure)?

Cause I didn't make notes when I bullishly took it apart.:facepalm:

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
  • Deleted by Rhapsodies Fire
  • Reason: duplicate post

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
I'd say fire the .6 coil and work out the hotspots. It is probably shorting across wraps.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...2-full-atomizer-itself-rebuild-pic-heavy.html

Thanks for the link johni.

Correction: I now have reason to believe the 2.4Ω coil is Kanthal 30ga.

But still, why is the Nichrome 60 30ga at 12 wraps only coming in at .6Ω. I've not had a ton of experience with Nchrome 60 30ga but my perception is that 12 wraps on 1/16 should give around 2.0+Ω. Or am I just goofy?

ADDIT:Thanks to Vapeaddikt's wonderful tutorial, I now have it back together and clean as a whistle but still: 30ga Kanthal=2.4ish.....30ga Nichrome=.6ish.......WTH!

ADDIT2: .6Ω wont fire on VV

Last edited:

johni

Extractor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Columbia, Missouri
This has come up sporadically in the micro threads. Pdib thought it might be a bad batch of Nichrome 26. I think the larger gauge Nichrome is more prone to shorting. Whatever, I made two coils with it a couple of days ago and both were way too hot for the number of wraps. Couldn't work out the hot spots so I junked them. Third coil from same spool worked fine. Don't really know why but it seems to happen almost exclusively with Nichrome 26.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I have an RM2 got 12 wraps of Nichrome 30 at 2.4ishΩ.

Got another RM2 that with the same coil the best I can get is .6Ω.

Where is the extra resistance coming from?

I took it apart but couldn't find anything unusual (cept' some gunk under the ceramic). Which leads me to my next question....anyone got a link to the RM2 rebuild thread (I think it was custom-classics' thread...not sure)?

Cause I didn't make notes when I bullishly took it apart.:facepalm:

What tool are you using to measure resistance?
A multi-meter would allow you to unscrew the coils and measure them independently.

Also double check: .30 and 30AWG are not the same.

Have fun
Be safe.

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
What tool are you using to measure resistance?
A multi-meter would allow you to unscrew the coils and measure them independently.

Also double check: .30 and 30AWG are not the same.

Have fun
Be safe.

MMeter is an ok Klein digital and gives fairly accurate results as one would expect with Kanthal wire. Nchrome is labled "30GA" from Temco.

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
damn reading this thread just reminded me that i bought some 28g nichrome wire the other day and i had never used it.......and i just built a coil......to tear it off and try the nichrome or to wait......hmmmmmmmmm..........but its so much fun!!!!!.....lol

do eet....do eet nao!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread