Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2011
Indiana
My RM2 works fine on my new Woody 186650 but on my older 18650 Woody the inside the Reo cup seems to be a bit deeper thus I can screw the RM2 down as far as it will go and not make contact with the Reo pin to fire it. Any relatively simple solution for this as I really don't want to send either the Woody or RM2 back to Rob. BTW.....the brass looking pin on the bottom of the RM2 looks to be non-adjustable....it was ordered the same time I ordered my new Reo which was the last sale.....any good ideas anyone?? The very simple solution would be for me to just pick up another brand/model 14mm bf atty but really want to get this RM2 working on my older Reo Woodvil.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
My RM2 works fine on my new Woody 186650 but on my older 18650 Woody the inside the Reo cup seems to be a bit deeper thus I can screw the RM2 down as far as it will go and not make contact with the Reo pin to fire it. Any relatively simple solution for this as I really don't want to send either the Woody or RM2 back to Rob. BTW.....the brass looking pin on the bottom of the RM2 looks to be non-adjustable....it was ordered the same time I ordered my new Reo which was the last sale.....any good ideas anyone?? The very simple solution would be for me to just pick up another brand/model 14mm bf atty but really want to get this RM2 working on my older Reo Woodvil.

I believe the catch cups are wider on this run. I have read that they were varying sizes on previous runs.

The only ideas that come to mind are to PM Rob and see if he can either mill ya an RM2 for the vintage wood or send in the vintage wood for a catchcup replacement.

Keeno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2011
Indiana
I have a 18490 that ran into the same issue. I ended up sending the REO & the RM2 to Rob. He milled the RM2 a little more & it is my favorite pair now....there is no gap between the catch cup & RM2

Thanks Della, I'll probably pm Rob and see what he can do....I hate the idea of sending away my Reo but the RM2 works so well on my new Reo it's probably in my best interest to just get another.....for the price the RM2 is hard to beat....thank you for your time and suggestion.:)

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
Thanks super......well dang, your probably spot with your suggestions.....just wish I could extend the pin on the RM2 or such. I'm not gonna drop 150 for a new atty but know where I can pick up a hornet that'll work. Thanks for the suggestions...:toast:

If you decide to not get the Hornet and can refer me I would be very interested! I have a vintage mini woodvil with a Hornet and would like to get a backup! :)

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Here's what I did with a couple of my older Woodvils that wouldn't fit an RM2. I had my son grind/sand down the catch cup so that the RM2s will fit. He ended up just taking about a mm off the top.

edit: the only reason a milled down RM2 won't work is that the catch cup is too tall, on mine anyway. Shaving a mm or two off the top solved it for me. Not sure that's the case on all of the older Woodvils or not. Also, it's not even noticeable.

Last edited:

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
Here's what I did with a couple of my older Woodvils that wouldn't fit an RM2. I had my son grind/sand down the catch cup so that the RM2s will fit. He ended up just taking about a mm off the top.

Good idea!
What did he sand/grind the catch cup with? So Iassume it's not the diameter but the height of the brass catch cup that is the issue?
by the way JC, "Uti" is the vintage mini woodvil that I was referring to! :) Using a Hornet on it as it's the only rba that fits & fires. I tried the IGO-s and it threads in fine but does not fire. Same with my milled RM2 that fires on my metal mini 14500 but not on Uti. So it seems like the height of the brass drip well is the issue.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Good idea!
What did he sand/grind the catch cup with? So Iassume it's not the diameter but the height of the brass catch cup that is the issue?
by the way JC, "Uti" is the vintage mini woodvil that I was referring to! :) Using a Hornet on it as it's the only rba that fits & fires. I tried the IGO-s and it threads in fine but does not fire. Same with my milled RM2 that fires on my metal mini 14500 but not on Uti. So it seems like the height of the brass drip well is the issue.

Rudy, I think it is the height of the catch cup -- especially if it "seems" to fit but just doesn't connect. I don't know exactly what he used --- some sanding disk on his Drimmel tool. It worked. We had to make sure to keep it even all around, but they look fine. We did it with two of them.

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
Rudy, I think it is the height of the catch cup -- especially if it "seems" to fit but just doesn't connect. I don't know exactly what he used --- some sanding disk on his Drimmel tool. It worked. We had to make sure to keep it even all around, but they look fine. We did it with two of them.

Makes sense. I have a Dremmel and grinding wheels! ......hmmmmm...... mind is working!
Thanks for the info. "Uti" is doing fine by the way! She won't be upstaged by the young starlet Purpleheart/Birdseye 18490 that just moved in!!:facepalm:

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Makes sense. I have a Dremmel and grinding wheels! ......hmmmmm...... mind is working!
Thanks for the info. "Uti" is doing fine by the way! She won't be upstaged by the young starlet Purpleheart/Birdseye 18490 that just moved in!!:facepalm:

Out of all my older wood REO's I have a few that none of my RM2 fit. I have talked with Robert and will be sending some in soon. He says that he can make a RM2 fit any wood REO. I believe him!

I have already told him that if grinding the cup down is needed then so be it.

Back when these were made the RBA's were a distant future. It would be nice if Robert could see the future, but that is not so. I feel with today's market changing at a quick pace he is doing his best to keep up.

I have not seen another supplier that is so into customer needs and tries so hard to keep his customer base happy and content.

I sure wouldn't want his job!!!

Keeno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2011
Indiana

That's it JC......the RM2 screws down perfectly it's just stopped from threading down further by the catch cup....fits just as perfect just can't screw it down far enough.

MasterofNone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2013
New York
The center pin may look non adjustable, but it's not: it just takes a bit extra work. There's a special tool for that kind of post, which I don't have, so I stripped my RM2 apart, shoved a mini screwdriver in the post through the top and turned it, applying pressure with each turn. When you seen your pin sticking a bit out if the insulator that's good. Too far either way is no bueno.
It's how I got an unmilled RM2 to work on my OliveR.
This may help, and if your careful it certainly won't hurt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread