Status
Not open for further replies.

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
I've had my Reo/Rm2 for about a week. For the first few days when I screwed down the lid on the RM2 the airhole would line up almost perfectly centered on the coil, after a few days of use the airhole now sits far left of the coil. Why would this happen? and is there any way to fix this besides using the o-ring?

I've been using the o-ring for a couple of days and don't like it. The RM2 no longer looks as flush with the gap and it is seriously hard to get the lid to unscrew once seated since there isn't much to grab onto.

My other issue is a slight drop in performance. I might be imagining this but last night and today I've noticed my clouds aren't quite as warm and thick. It very well could be that my coil is off or this different juice but I set the coil up exactly the same as before (micro coil, 10 wraps of 29ga k, 1.3ohm, 1.5 ID).

My question is, is it possible that my Reo already needs a bath or the firing pin filed/noaloxed after one week?

Thanks in advance,

doogie-howser-md-season-1-15.jpg
Doog

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
I've had my Reo/Rm2 for about a week. For the first few days when I screwed down the lid on the RM2 the airhole would line up almost perfectly centered on the coil, after a few days of use the airhole now sits far left of the coil. Why would this happen? and is there any way to fix this besides using the o-ring?

I've been using the o-ring for a couple of days and don't like it. The RM2 no longer looks as flush with the gap and it is seriously hard to get the lid to unscrew once seated since there isn't much to grab onto.

My other issue is a slight drop in performance. I might be imagining this but last night and today I've noticed my clouds aren't quite as warm and thick. It very well could be that my coil is off or this different juice but I set the coil up exactly the same as before (micro coil, 10 wraps of 29ga k, 1.3ohm, 1.5 ID).

My question is, is it possible that my Reo already needs a bath or the firing pin filed/noaloxed after one week?

Thanks in advance,

View attachment 239866
Doog

I don't know if it's my imagination but I have had a couple of instances where I took cap off for various reasons and when I put the cap back on the hole was lined up slightly different from before.

Today i built two new coils for my brass RM2s. I left the drip tips on when I rinsed off the cap and DT in hot water. So I knew which was which as the one for Orange 2.1 has an orange Trippy on it. When I put the caps back on the holes were not lined up with the coil as they originally were. So I switched out the orange topped with the silver topped and the holes were magically lined up with coils. Try taking cap off and putting it back on. I won't begin to explain how this happened but it did.

Feisty Alice

{edit} On another note, I rinsed my three chrome RM2s and rewicked after a dryburn. When I put one cap on the hole was around about 90 degrees from coil. It vaped great. Maybe vaping at 1.5-1.7 with specific juices and just the right coil height/depth and just the right amount of wick doesn't make a huge difference. Didn't in my case but I didn't give it a long trial. I just rearranged which cap went on which base and all line up now. I know the caps weren't switched on the brass, by mistake because I didn't take them off the REOs. Chromes I did.

Last edited:

Navy4life

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2013
Jacksonville, Fl
DoogieTony, I've spent several hours, several times trying to figure out why it doesn't hit the same as it did a couple of days ago. Usually it's one of these:

1. RM2 not tightned down
2. RM2 needs gasket
3. RM2 doesn't need gasket
4. Batteries, batteries, batteries
5. The hole/coil alignment paradigm is very important
6. Cotton gunked up
7. Coil needs burn off
8. Bottle, too tight or too loose

I now perform checks on these things before starting and find that my performance fluctuations are not as frequent.

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
westamyx: I've tried multiple times to take the cap off and tighten at different degrees but every time it lines up in the same position, not sure what happened. From the positioning now it's like its not advancing as far as before, but it's as tight as can be.

Navy4life: I've checked all of those things minus the gasket. If you're saying that there's no way it should need a bath or filing I'll just stick with it and rebuild my coil and change juice tomorrow to see if there's an improvement.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
I can say the ceramic base didn't move . I would try cleaning your contact and applying some nolax first . Why the hole doesn't line up and it did when you got it . Well the atomizer is made of brass its possible from over tightening it you could have changed the position . Here is a little secret if having the hole in the center is really important you could always move your coil closer to the hole . I dont fret over the hole being perfect mine is not perfect and it vapes great .

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I can say the ceramic base didn't move . I would try cleaning your contact and applying some nolax first . Why the hole doesn't line up and it did when you got it . Well the atomizer is made of brass its possible from over tightening it you could have changed the position . Here is a little secret if having the hole in the center is really important you could always move your coil closer to the hole . I dont fret over the hole being perfect mine is not perfect and it vapes great .

+ 1 on what the ninja is dropping. If the airhole is in front of even a portion of the front plane of your coil, your fine. If it's way off to the side, like over by the post, you'll notice a difference. None of my current ones are directly on center of my coil but they are not far off

. . . . . .
IIIIIIIIIIIIII

imagine your coil is the lines above ( looking down on it). If your airhole hits it anywhere in the area i put dots, it's all good :)

Last edited:

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas

Thanks Robert. Today, one of the three chrome caps lined up about 90 degrees off. With my coil, and its 1.7 ish ohm, and wick, and position it didn't seem to make a big difference. I did, though, rearrange caps for better alignment of holes. Not saying it doesn't make a difference with other set-ups but I didn't notice much if any. Maybe it's a bigger deal with sub-ohm coils..... don't know. None of my juices play well so hot.

I probably shouldn't say this but I do think all the whoopla over perfect coils and cap hole placement could be scarying some new people. My back-coiled, sloppy micro-coil has been vaping most excellently for a couple of hours this afternoon.

Feisty Alice

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Thanks Robert. Today, one of the three chrome caps lined up about 90 degrees off. With my coil, and its 1.7 ish ohm, and wick, and position it didn't seem to make a big difference. I did, though, rearrange caps for better alignment of holes. Not saying it doesn't make a difference with other set-ups but I didn't notice much if any. Maybe it's a bigger deal with sub-ohm coils..... don't know. None of my juices play well so hot.

I probably shouldn't say this but I do think all the whoopla over perfect coils and cap hole placement could be scarying some new people. My back-coiled, sloppy micro-coil has been vaping most excellently for a couple of hours this afternoon.

Feisty Alice

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
Alice I am so with you a perfect coil or the hole being perfect is a bit much . I rolls some quick and dirty coils and I am getting a magical vaping experience . Don't get me wrong I have days when my vape is not that great but that is me not my atty . I think my quick and dirty coils are the easiest to learn for the new folks . I generally just keep quite but that is how I feel . Getting started with a rba is hard enough without feeling you need to make jedi coils to get a good vape . I dont have time to make jedi coils I am running like a chicken with his head cut off most days :)

Almost forgot if the hole is way way off yeah it does make a difference . It really increase the throat hit if its way off

Last edited:

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
Thanks for the replies. If the coil is at 12 o'clock the air hole is at about 9:30-10 o'clock. It still vapes but I found it weird that it shifted. I never cranked the cap down on there, and it would seem that it would have advanced further, not backwards, if this was the case....it's just weird.

I'll try it without the o-ring when I rebuild tonight and see whats what.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Thanks for the replies. If the coil is at 12 o'clock the air hole is at about 9:30-10 o'clock. It still vapes but I found it weird that it shifted. I never cranked the cap down on there, and it would seem that it would have advanced further, not backwards, if this was the case....it's just weird.

I would just nudge your coil over a little . Keep me informed if it becomes a problem I can find another cap for you

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
Alice I am so with you a perfect coil or the hole being perfect is a bit much . I rolls some quick and dirty coils and I am getting a magical vaping experience . Don't get me wrong I have days when my vape is not that great but that is me not my atty . I think my quick and dirty coils are the easiest to learn for the new folks . I generally just keep quite but that is how I feel . Getting started with a rba is hard enough without feeling you need to make jedi coils to get a good vape . I dont have time to make jedi coils I am running like a chicken with his head cut off most days :)

Almost forgot if the hole is way way off yeah it does make a difference . It really increase the throat hit if its way off

Hey, if it works it works. I've just been in the habit of centering my airhole on other RBAs and it made quite a big difference in vapor or throat hit. Sounds like there's no easy remedy so I'll just roll with it and see what happens.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com

So, what can happen, happened to me once, I got a little "nub", or burr on the rim of the atty. (the brass is pretty soft.) . . . Where the cap seats when it is fully screwed on. I must of nicked it with a tool, or something. Anyway, Doog (← Vincent DelPino voice here), check along that rim edge with something sensitive. See if you feel a little scratch or nubbin.

PayleRyder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Cary, NC
Perhaps some debris, wick leave-un's, or dust got in the threads of the cap or the plate, not allowing it to screw in all the way? Clean the threads on both the cap and deck under running water with a toothbrush? Just throwing out possibilities.

I usually run a small o-ring on the RM2 to get the cap in the right spot on a few of my RM2's. I cut a small jar opener rubber grippy thing in half and use that to unscrew a bound-up RM2 (half holding the deck, the other half to unscrew the cap).

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
So, what can happen, happened to me once, I got a little "nub", or burr on the rim of the atty. (the brass is pretty soft.) . . . Where the cap seats when it is fully screwed on. I must of nicked it with a tool, or something. Anyway, Doog (← Vincent DelPino voice here), check along that rim edge with something sensitive. See if you feel a little scratch or nubbin.

Perhaps some debris, wick leave-un's, or dust got in the threads of the cap or the plate, not allowing it to screw in all the way? Clean the threads on both the cap and deck under running water with a toothbrush? Just throwing out possibilities.

I usually run a small o-ring on the RM2 to get the cap in the right spot on a few of my RM2's. I cut a small jar opener rubber grippy thing in half and use that to unscrew a bound-up RM2 (half holding the deck, the other half to unscrew the cap).

Great tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread