Not open for further replies.

mommabird62

squonkhead
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
NC
Would like to see what others have built on theirs specifically the wicking. Had one come in Friday but have not had a chance to plop it down on my REO yet. I use the organic Japanese cotton pads or the Organic cotton balls on all of my wicking.

I'm thinking that it will take more wicking than the RM2 that is on there now, but was curious about what others have had good luck with. Thanks :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk with my paws :)

Mommabird62

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Not a lot of room in there, but I have mine set up with dual 26g coils, wrapped on a 5/64 drill bit. It's right at .53 ohms. The hole in the center post is a little tight for 2 26g wires, but it will go. I wick with Koh Gen Do.
019e640184f5c599680a468a3e22e3e12416d080a3.jpg

SoftSell

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2014
Saskatoon, SK
Not a lot of room in there, but I have mine set up with dual 26g coils, wrapped on a 5/64 drill bit. It's right at .53 ohms. The hole in the center post is a little tight for 2 26g wires, but it will go. I wick with Koh Gen Do.
View attachment 369871

My rm4 is exactly this. I found .5ohm is just right for me. Wicked with organic cotton, I use more than the standard rm2 build, but not much more.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
TY Rule62 :) Do you put a generous amount of wicking in this one or a small amount like
the RM2?

Mommabird62

I'd post a picture; but right now I'm vaping some Caramel Mocha, so the current wick is pretty dark. As you see from my other pic though, the coils are tilted. I use just enough wick on the lower side for the cotton to reach the well. On the high side, I just trim off the cotton maybe 1/8" beyond the coil.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Thanks y'all! I see that the coils are tilted slightly...is there an advantage ? just curious ;)

Mommabird62

I don't always tilt them. But with my usual 8 or 9 wrap builds, the space is a little tight on the RM4. As you know, when you wrap a coil, and both legs go in the same direction at the end, there is a high side and a low side. If I want my coils to be horizontal, I just bend them with the drill bit inserted, after they're mounted. But because the space is limited in the RM4, I just mount the coils as is, and they sit naturally tilted. When I install the wick, the wick on the low side goes down to the deck. The high side is just trimmed off beyond the coil. With a Reo, because I'm continually squonking, the wick doesn't have to hold a big reservoir of juice. So, both legs of the wick don't really need to be down on the deck. Just one side is enough. Plus, with tilted coils, there's no sharp angle to make the wick go down to the deck. It's a straight line.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
I'd post a picture; but right now I'm vaping some Caramel Mocha, so the current wick is pretty dark. As you see from my other pic though, the coils are tilted. I use just enough wick on the lower side for the cotton to reach the well. On the high side, I just trim off the cotton maybe 1/8" beyond the coil.

I was all set to post a pic, but this covers it for me - same coils (gauge, ID, and wraps), same resistance, tilted (for wicking and space).

mommabird62

squonkhead
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
NC
Thanks again guys! going to try this technique tomorrow. I am used to building single coils on various attys and my dual coil experience is with a Mephisto RDA :) Have had really good luck so far with it and love it! I normally keep it around 1.0 ohms with the mechanicals. Not sure I'm ready to sub yet ;)

Mommabird62

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
I get dry hits if i use too much of any wick material. With silica i'd leave enough of it to make about a 1/4" contact area on the RM4 base and it worked fine.

I tried the same thing with Readywick and it was ghastly for dry hits. So i'd advise that you let one end of the wick touch the base of the atty and no more. In other words let the wick err ... wick!

I'm assuming here that you are not strangling it by wrapping a coil too tight on it - or over stuffing it with cotton. My rule of thumb with cotton wicks was always to pull off what you thought you'd need and promptly halve it.

I run fierce subohm coils on my gear, so any wicking failures are rather quickly apparent.

T

built4feel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
South Central PA, USA
Im gonna have to try the slanted coils soon! I was wondering how well it would work and it makes sense...

I've been having great results with dual horizontal coils, 28g, ID 2mm (might have been 2.4mm...) @ 0.76 ohms. Ive had those same coils in there for about two weeks and have been loving them! I use rayon for wicking, I and use just enough for it to be snug inside the coil (because rayon will get smaller when wet ;) ). I horseshoe the wicks underneath the coil to have enough to touch the deck without too much excess...Its a tight fit, and I sometimes notice that one side of each wick will slightly touch the top cap, which allows juice to get sucked up into the driptip, because its kinda cramed with the wicks coming out both sides. I'm hoping the slanted coils will work just as good for me, if not better.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I get dry hits if i use too much of any wick material. With silica i'd leave enough of it to make about a 1/4" contact area on the RM4 base and it worked fine.

I tried the same thing with Readywick and it was ghastly for dry hits. So i'd advise that you let one end of the wick touch the base of the atty and no more. In other words let the wick err ... wick!

I'm assuming here that you are not strangling it by wrapping a coil too tight on it - or over stuffing it with cotton. My rule of thumb with cotton wicks was always to pull off what you thought you'd need and promptly halve it.

I run fierce subohm coils on my gear, so any wicking failures are rather quickly apparent.

T

Stuffing excess wick in the base of the atty serves no purpose. On conventional drippers, it might prevent a little leakage from the air hole, but that's about it. I've seen people leave long tails, and stuff it under the coil and around the base, and still get dry hits. All that juice that's been soaked up by the cotton laying in the base may never make it to the coil. Juice is lazy. It doesn't like to work too hard to get up to the coil. It's why Koh Gen Do wicks so well. The grains in the cotton are straight and parallel. There's no point in hampering it's ability by bending it or wadding it up.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
The interesting thing about using a bottom feeder is that the wick does not need to be particularly efficient. By which i mean it does not have to have stellar capillary action to suck juice to the coil.

On my RM2's i'd deliberately use a huge fat wick (5mm was the fattest i could fit in it) and push it onto the deck, which is ceramic and will not short. Then a hefty squonk covers the entire thing and my wick becomes more about juice storage than ability to deliver juice to the coil.

The height of the post-holes on the RM4 makes this impossible. Out of interest how often do you have to re-wick yours? I ask because i'm the laziest man alive and it's why i use wicks i can dry burn and wire that's pretty close to indestructible.

T

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
The interesting thing about using a bottom feeder is that the wick does not need to be particularly efficient. By which i mean it does not have to have stellar capillary action to suck juice to the coil.

On my RM2's i'd deliberately use a huge fat wick (5mm was the fattest i could fit in it) and push it onto the deck, which is ceramic and will not short. Then a hefty squonk covers the entire thing and my wick becomes more about juice storage than ability to deliver juice to the coil.

The height of the post-holes on the RM4 makes this impossible. Out of interest how often do you have to re-wick yours? I ask because i'm the laziest man alive and it's why i use wicks i can dry burn and wire that's pretty close to indestructible.

T

How often I change cotton depends a lot on the juice I'm vaping. One thing's for sure. The cotton lasts longer than it does in a conventional dripper. Yesterday and this morning, I was vaping a Caramel Mocha concoction, which is pretty dark and thick. I guess I vaped about 9 or 10 ml. and it was still good. next time I use that atty, I'll likely pull the cotton out and dry burn the coil.

mommabird62

squonkhead
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
NC
Redid the wicking on the Mephisto just a little while ago as y'all suggested and I can tell a difference :) I left the tails just barely touching the deck. Been wicking the RM2 that way to begin with but for some reason I felt that I needed more on the standard dripper. I need to remember that less is more ;) Going to set up the RM4 tomorrow and try it out leaving the coils tilted. Thanks again for the advice

Mommabird62

aushizz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2013
hopefully the beach

do you tilt them in an Odin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread