RSST coiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwing91007

Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hey vets,

Built my first coil for my new RSST last week and I'm still getting a little metallicy taste. The vapor production isn't what I would call decent but I'm also getting a tingling in my nose if I nose exhale etc. From what I understand it's the coil not making good contact with the wick. I'm pretty new to rebuildables although I seem to have it down on my igo l. On the RSST it's a whole different story. Just looking for some more pointers on how to do it best.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
What I do to get a good coil on mesh is to go ahead and do the oxidizing then before I wrap my coil I put a small piece of cigarette paper (with out the glue) around the wick where the coil is going. Hole it in place with water or juice. This will make sure you don't get a short and you get a uniform distance from the coil. Some wrap unbleached thread around it to get more distance. I don't like to get to close. That may be your problem. OH I do a dry burn of the coil before filling it. I've seen some machine wound mesh and coils and there was a good .5mm gap between the wick and coil. That metal taste could come from a short or a hot spot. Either way this will help. This is the only way I do mesh now.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
As steved said, your coil could be shorting. eHuman has a great tutorial on building mesh and coils for Gennesis RBA's here. I know he's using the AGA-T, but the RSST is pretty much the same as the AGA-T except for the insulted wick hole which will make it harder to get shorts in the first place. Pay attention to the part in the tutorial about pulsing out shorts before you put in juice and that should take of any shorting issues for you. Also pay attention to how tight to wrap the coil on the mesh.

What could also be happening is you have not cleaned the wick and wire before building and there could be some oil from the manufacturing process on them. What I do is take a Bic lighter and heat these parts just getting all areas on them to turn red for a second. You can use a propane torch, but be careful not to overheat the parts. You can also wash the SS mesh in soapy water, rinse and dry it. All these will get rid of the oils.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread