RTA Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

politbureau

Sep 24, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Hey team ECF,

I'm hoping someone can help me out - I'm looking for rta suggestions!

Over the past month or so I've been hacking through my ridiculous collection of atomizers to try and weed out the ones I no longer use, and figure out which ones I want to put in regular rotation. To give you an idea, here's an in progress shot I took...

IMG_5845.jpg

...Until I ran out of room on my footstool. Add about a dozen more and you've got a picture of how ridiculous things had gotten.

The good news is I've narrowed my RDAs down to 5, and am very happy that those 5 will each fill a specific niche adequately.

The problem I'm now up against is tanks. I've only recently gotten back into tanks, as it seems the performance has finally caught up with RDAs. I picked up three new tanks in particular - the Lemo, Orchid v4 and Fogger v5, which have changed the way I look at tanks. My Kayfuns & Taifuns have, finally, essentially gone into the trash, as have all my off the shelf units from Aspire and Kanger.

The thing is, despite a ton of reading here on ECF and beyond, I'm not sure if these are actually any good compared to whats out there. Of the 3, the Lemo blows me away - with just a single 0.8Ω coil, it tastes fantastic and chucks vapour at the same time. Problem is, it's 23mm - and looks somewhat silly on anything but my Evic Supreme.

The Orchid is fantastic to build, but airflow isn't as good as the Lemo, and refilling it's a pain. The Fogger has the tightest draw of the three, but refilling it's a breeze, though I hate the look of the AFC and threads.

Is there something else to consider? I've read positive things about the Squape Reloaded and the Erlkonigin, but they look to have their own idiosyncrasies. The Billow looks promising, as it's essentially an Orchid copy with a higher build deck, glass tank and threaded chimney, but the airflow looks to be roughly the same.

I'd really like to get a great tank, but don't want to get into the same situation as before where I've bought 20 tanks just to find 1 or 2 that work for me.

Any help is appreciated!

politbureau

Sep 24, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Don't trash the Kayfuns send em here!! ;) Have you checked out the Rose V2 yet??? That and a Lemo Drop are the next 2 I'm picking up!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk
Haha, no trashing intended, but I own 7 Kayfun/Russians, and have modded many of them by drilling, re-tapping, etc - and none of these, in any configuration, come even close to any of the three new tanks I tried on the first build. That's pretty telling, IMO. I built the Lemo and my modded Russian 91% with identical coils, and the Kayfun still feels like I'm trying to suck a golf ball through a straw. No comparison to these three tanks!

I have a Rose v2 on the way, though the Lemo drop probably won't be on my list. I'm always looking for more tank capacity, not less!

Have you tried the Squape or Erlkonigin? I'd be interested how they compare to the Lemo.

Cheers!

politbureau

Sep 24, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
WiηgC¤mmαηdεя;14547345 said:
I have a Aqua for dual coil builds myself and like it, top fill, airflow control and juice flow control. It a bit of a PITA to rebuild but have the knack of it now.
I am planning on getting a rose V2 soon as well.
Yep, I have an Aqua v1 and v2, but airflow isn't up to par with any of these three. The Lemo easily has twice or more airflow than the Aqua or Kayfun, and flavour and vapour is better in my experience so far. For dual coil builds, the Orchid just slaughters the Aqua, sadly.

It is kinda sad - I literally ditched 14 tanks this week!

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
How about a Smok RSBT or an EHPro Pontus?

I love my RSBT, flavor is about as good as my Lemo and has airflow that I would say is between a Kayfun and the Lemo. It's a little tricky it coil and wick but done right it lasts a long time and is super easy to refill (top fill).

The Pontus has an unjust bad rap in my opinion. It is constantly compared to the Big Dripper and RDA's which it can't compete BUT that's because it vapes like an RTA. Good airflow and decent vapor and flavor, super easy to build, wick, fill and squonk. Since you already have a couple of TOBH's, you could have multiple builds on different decks and can slap the pontus tank on top of whatever you fancy that day. I love my Pontus, use it everyday and don't regret buying one for a second.

politbureau

Sep 24, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
How about a Smok RSBT or an EHPro Pontus?

I love my RSBT, flavor is about as good as my Lemo and has airflow that I would say is between a Kayfun and the Lemo. It's a little tricky it coil and wick but done right it lasts a long time and is super easy to refill (top fill).

The Pontus has an unjust bad rap in my opinion. It is constantly compared to the Big Dripper and RDA's which it can't compete BUT that's because it vapes like an RTA. Good airflow and decent vapor and flavor, super easy to build, wick, fill and squonk. Since you already have a couple of TOBH's, you could have multiple builds on different decks and can slap the pontus tank on top of whatever you fancy that day. I love my Pontus, use it everyday and don't regret buying one for a second.
Great suggestions - I hadn't actually heard of the Pontus before, so I'm out hunting for one locally. Would you say the big dripper is superior for this type of concept? I have the latter and am not a big fan - building on it is a pain due to the lip around the deck.

RBST sadly was one of the tanks that went into the bin pile. Taste was OK, but airflow wasn't up to the Orchid or Lemo.

Thanks!

EDIT: Funny story...

Just went back to my Big Dripper after reading your comment, and determined to make it work... After a bunch of prodding to get the coils in the correct location (bottom of coil at center line of air holes) and trimming the wicks so they just touch the deck, and don't cover the air holes, the vape has changed dramatically! 0.4 ohm dual coil build with japanese cotton, and really churning out the flavour and vapour now!

IMG_5855.jpg

Loving this... :vapor:

Last edited:

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
Great suggestions - I hadn't actually heard of the Pontus before, so I'm out hunting for one locally. Would you say the big dripper is superior for this type of concept? I have the latter and am not a big fan - building on it is a pain due to the lip around the deck.

RBST sadly was one of the tanks that went into the bin pile. Taste was OK, but airflow wasn't up to the Orchid or Lemo.

Thanks!

EDIT: Funny story...

Just went back to my Big Dripper after reading your comment, and determined to make it work... After a bunch of prodding to get the coils in the correct location (bottom of coil at center line of air holes) and trimming the wicks so they just touch the deck, and don't cover the air holes, the vape has changed dramatically! 0.4 ohm dual coil build with japanese cotton, and really churning out the flavour and vapour now!

IMG_5855.jpg

Loving this... :vapor:
I don't have a big dripper to compare too. I've read some people that have both prefer the BD. The advantage for you would be the Pontus uses a TOBH deck. If you like a RTA vape then I think you would like the Pontus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread