RTA with MASSIVE airflow, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
So I recently decided to go back to building to save money on coils in my subohm tanks.

I picked up a Zephyrus, Goliath V2, Bellus, and Cthulu V2... I realize technically the Zephyrus and Goliath V2 are subohm tanks with RBA sections, but I'd heard good things.

I'm big on airflow. The more the better. I love my Kennedy competition RDA, the Crown tanks have a nice acceptable airflow, and love the airflow on the Triforce/Trifecta tanks from CCI...

My problem is not a single one of those RTAs come close to the airflow I prefer in a tank. I'm well aware that flavor and vapor production is made or broken with your coils. I'm also aware of blocking your airflow in an RTA with your build. These are not the issues. These things don't have enough airflow BEFORE I start building on them when there's absolutely nothing to restrict it.

I thought maybe with the right build I could get over the lack of airflow and learn to tolerate what, to me, feels like I'm sucking a golf ball through a garden hose, but I can't.

PLEASE, does anyone have any suggestions for a true RTA that at least can beat the Crown tank in airflow? I mean I'm wanting to go back to building, have more control over my coils while saving some money, but if I can't enjoy the vape, I'm going to keep dishing out $100+ a month on prebuilt coils. I can't always drip so it kind of boils down to either finding a high airflow RTA I can carry, or simply go back to spending too much on coils for subohm tanks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
I smoked a tobacco pipe for many years the draw on a pipe is lighter than any atomizer I have tried.. Other than drilling out expanding the airhole on a dripper nothing is as light a draw. The goblin mini looks promising IMO..

What you can also do since your dropping that kind of coin -- buy a Reo or a reo clone and have a dripper with massive airflow and a huge bottle reservoir no leaking..

Reactions: puffon

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
Aromamizer RDTA.

However, why not try your Bellus without the afc ring?
I came close to purchasing the aromamizer rdta actually. Ironically the reason I didn't was because I didn't think it looked to offer as much airflow as the ones I got... so is it really significantly more than those I listed? I say significantly because these 4 don't come anywhere close to having satisfying airflow. I don't mind spending the money if it, I'm just kind of leery after getting 4 that will be gathering dust.

I'll try removing the afc ring from the Bellus and see, though looking at how much it's lacking I'm a little pessimistic about it, though I'll definitely try it when I get home later

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
Mutation x v4 had side bottom and drip tip airflow
Yes but it's an rda... an excellent rda actually but not what I'm needing.

I know a Mutation RTA was recently released but I haven't watched any reviews or talked to anyone with one yet.

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
Mutation x v4 had side bottom and drip tip airflow
Yes but it's an rda... an excellent rda actually but not what I'm needing.

I know a Mutation RTA was recently released but I haven't watched any reviews or talked to anyone with one yet.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I came close to purchasing the aromamizer rdta actually. Ironically the reason I didn't was because I didn't think it looked to offer as much airflow as the ones I got... so is it really significantly more than those I listed? I say significantly because these 4 don't come anywhere close to having satisfying airflow. I don't mind spending the money if it, I'm just kind of leery after getting 4 that will be gathering dust.

I'll try removing the afc ring from the Bellus and see, though looking at how much it's lacking I'm a little pessimistic about it, though I'll definitely try it when I get home later

Depends on how you line up your base and tank on the Aromamizer. Set it so all 4 airholes are crossing the deck at diagonals, and its quite airy. Also, vertical builds really open it up compared to horizontal.

Those slots on the Bellus are pretty darn big if you take off the afc ring. Try putting your coils just above them so the air hits them from beneath.

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
Depends on how you line up your base and tank on the Aromamizer. Set it so all 4 airholes are crossing the deck at diagonals, and its quite airy. Also, vertical builds really open it up compared to horizontal.

Those slots on the Bellus are pretty darn big if you take off the afc ring. Try putting your coils just above them so the air hits them from beneath.
I'm horrible with verticals but thanks for the info, I'll probably give it a shot.

Was reading some stuff about the Mutation X RTA I mentioned because I thought with the airflow on the V4 rda it might be worth a look. Lots of compliments about its airflow though seems extremely finicky about wick placement (judging by the number of people who complained about it leaking).

Definitely going to try the no AFC ring on the Bellus when I get home.

I typically build 2mm ID coils 24G in the 0.2 - 0.25 range, place them right over the airflow but up a bit to avoid it restricting the airflow much. Also usually leave a bit of space around the coil in general to try and avoid blocking it.

I'm not sure if the Zephyrus just isn't meant to handle those coils or what, but I heard a ton of good things, and I've yet to get a build that wasn't immediately too hot to enjoy... vapor, drip tip, tank itself, everything just scorching hot in the .2-.25 range.

Out of the 4, the Goliath V2 and Bellus do offer the most airflow. Was extremely disappointed with the Cthulu V2. Flavor is good but it's got about the same level of airflow as the original Atlantis tank in my opinion.

Stinkytofus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New York City
So I recently decided to go back to building to save money on coils in my subohm tanks.

I picked up a Zephyrus, Goliath V2, Bellus, and Cthulu V2... I realize technically the Zephyrus and Goliath V2 are subohm tanks with RBA sections, but I'd heard good things.

I'm big on airflow. The more the better. I love my Kennedy competition RDA, the Crown tanks have a nice acceptable airflow, and love the airflow on the Triforce/Trifecta tanks from CCI...

My problem is not a single one of those RTAs come close to the airflow I prefer in a tank. I'm well aware that flavor and vapor production is made or broken with your coils. I'm also aware of blocking your airflow in an RTA with your build. These are not the issues. These things don't have enough airflow BEFORE I start building on them when there's absolutely nothing to restrict it.

I thought maybe with the right build I could get over the lack of airflow and learn to tolerate what, to me, feels like I'm sucking a golf ball through a garden hose, but I can't.

PLEASE, does anyone have any suggestions for a true RTA that at least can beat the Crown tank in airflow? I mean I'm wanting to go back to building, have more control over my coils while saving some money, but if I can't enjoy the vape, I'm going to keep dishing out $100+ a month on prebuilt coils. I can't always drip so it kind of boils down to either finding a high airflow RTA I can carry, or simply go back to spending too much on coils for subohm tanks.

If u looking for an rdta with best airflow (directly to the coils like an rda), u can give aromamizer v2 a try... Otherwise the airflow ur looking for exists in rdas typically

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
TFV4 As Massive as you will find in an RTA capable tank
3 different Build Decks available
Power handling to 100+ watts

Keep in mind the lower large seal on the TVF4 isn't a standard o-ring, and doesn't come with a replacement.
It is proprietary ( has a lip). When it goes, you'll have to buy a new atty.
Smok isn't the best company to deal with either.
It does have huge airflow.
Also has a fixed Drip tip, which you may or may not like.

Btw I looked at the mutation RTA, and what's with the red O-rings on all these tanks?
Gaudy and cheap looking. Ruins the look, IMHO.

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
TFV4 As Massive as you will find in an RTA capable tank
3 different Build Decks available
Power handling to 100+ watts
I'm still hesitant to buy a TFV4, I know that sounds idiotic considering I bought these 4. I've just had very bad luck with quality control from Smok in the past. I knew there were two RBA heads, the single and dual, but I wasn't aware of the third.

Wattage isn't so important. If I can just get it to wick my 80vg juice with good airflow in the 70-85 watt range I'm usually pretty satisfied.. lol

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
Keep in mind the lower large seal on the TVF4 isn't a standard o-ring, and doesn't come with a replacement.

Btw I looked at the mutation RTA, and what's with the red O-rings on all these tanks?
A lot of this is also why I've avoided the TFV4... I heard the glass had a habit of shredding the o-rings too, and someone told me they didn't get the extra o-rings that it messed up.

I agree with you on these colored o-rings or seals etc... my UD tanks had them AND my Cthulu V2 does as well, but they offer them in clear, the mutation rta claims you get red or blue, neither of which I'd like to sport on a tank.

Had several recommend the aromamizer rdta... I'm kind of spoiled on top fill but if they hit like I'd like I don't mind really. I know I don't want the goblin series because bottom fill is one thing but having to remove a screw to fill it? To me that's ridiculous lol...

I might try the aromamizer, mutation rta, and finally bite the bullet and pick up a TFV4...

I'm actually really surprised at how little airflow some of these have. I'm not expecting rda level airflow, but I thought they'd at least be right on par with good subohm tanks...

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
A lot of this is also why I've avoided the TFV4... I heard the glass had a habit of shredding the o-rings too, and someone told me they didn't get the extra o-rings that it messed up.

I agree with you on these colored o-rings or seals etc... my UD tanks had them AND my Cthulu V2 does as well, but they offer them in clear, the mutation rta claims you get red or blue, neither of which I'd like to sport on a tank.

Had several recommend the aromamizer rdta... I'm kind of spoiled on top fill but if they hit like I'd like I don't mind really. I know I don't want the goblin series because bottom fill is one thing but having to remove a screw to fill it? To me that's ridiculous lol...

I might try the aromamizer, mutation rta, and finally bite the bullet and pick up a TFV4...

I'm actually really surprised at how little airflow some of these have. I'm not expecting rda level airflow, but I thought they'd at least be right on par with good subohm tanks...

I wouldn't recommend the TVF 4.
I have one.
The hassles aren't worth the airflow.
I'm in the same boat as you, looking for a true rebuildable tank that has serious airflow.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md

Replacement Seals ARE available.
http://sweet-vapes.com/tfv4-base-glass-or-o-ring.html

Upper/lower set $ .95

And..................the Drip tip is 510 and several of my Tips interchange fine.

Just keeping things straight.
:D

I have to say - I have never bought Smok just from their early QC issues that seem to exist to this day.
I did win a X Cube II and TFV4. Knowing of the Glass sticking to the Seal issue(Factory assembly problem) I immediately submersed the tank in a Coffee cup full of HOT water after removing the Top section.
3 minutes later I took the Tank in hand and twist/lifted the glass section off with -0- o-ring damage. Seems dry assembly caused some units to stick together and some were damaged upon separation, but heating worked well for me.

We can always point out things that may cause problems. We can also work to find solutions.
Personally, if the price is right, I think a TFV4 is well worth investigating. No doubt most of the money could be made back in a secondary sale if not satisfied.
Dodging a possible solution to a search may lead to never knowing or missing out.

Yea, it is Smok, but no it is not a Mod. Just a tank with some very innovative features.
With the Tri-coil it is a cloud monster.
With the Quad-coil it is a Flavor chasing Monster.
Single RTA Base
Dual RTA Base
Clapton RTA Base - (2) air flow choices included

Very large juice channels on the single and Dual - don't have the Clapton yet.

Bargains to be had ordering from China may make it more interesting.

:D

I also love using the Orchid RTA's
Great(For me) Air flow
Excellent wicking
YMMV

Last edited:

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
You should really try to figure out what's going on to make you dislike the UD Zephyrus with the build deck, as far as I am aware that has the most airflow of ANY tank system available. You said it got way too hot to enjoy, did that happen very fast or sort of slowly as you were vaping? With the size of that deck and the chimney style is it possible the coils shorted to the outside of the chimney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread