Safe wattage question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1991zr-1

Jan 30, 2018
Hi all, just picked my new VandyVape Kensei. I put some tri core fused claptons in it, and it is reading at .09 ohms. Not really experienced with ohms this low. I understand that ohms arent really important with regulated mods, but I want to be on the safe side anyways. Im currently running a therion 166 with 2 basen 18650 3100 mAh batteries. 3.7 volts and 30 amps are the specs. Im just wondering what wattage I should run this thing at without ruining my batteries.

Reactions: stols001

steeledragon78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
Owasso, OK, USA
looking at some quick calculations with ohms law (which is still relevant even with regulated mods) you will run out of wiggle room on the max amps on those batteries near 75 watts. which probably wont be where you want them performance wise anyway. i would suggest a different coil selection to bring the resistance up above .1 ohm. for example, if you came up to .15 ohm, you could rock that at 80 watts, and only draw 23.09 amps, and with the right airflow have a cloud chuckin time, and retain the safety buffer of 20% rated amps. @.2 ohms you run at 20 amps, and still have a good vape.

i know that regulated mods give you much more implied safety because we believe that the safety protections built into the mod will protect us, but you cant trust them completely. you wouldnt trust the abs, airbag, and crumple zones to keep you safe driving 80 mph on icy roads. dont trust the mod to prevent a battery from failing due to too high an amp draw.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
looking at some quick calculations with ohms law (which is still relevant even with regulated mods) you will run out of wiggle room on the max amps on those batteries near 75 watts. which probably wont be where you want them performance wise anyway. i would suggest a different coil selection to bring the resistance up above .1 ohm. for example, if you came up to .15 ohm, you could rock that at 80 watts, and only draw 23.09 amps, and with the right airflow have a cloud chuckin time, and retain the safety buffer of 20% rated amps. @.2 ohms you run at 20 amps, and still have a good vape.

i know that regulated mods give you much more implied safety because we believe that the safety protections built into the mod will protect us, but you cant trust them completely. you wouldnt trust the abs, airbag, and crumple zones to keep you safe driving 80 mph on icy roads. dont trust the mod to prevent a battery from failing due to too high an amp draw.

You're calculating the amp draw wrong. The resistance of the coil does in fact not impact on the amp draw at all. With a battery cutoff at 6.4v (the batteries are in series), and 95% efficiency, the amp draw at 75w is 12.3 (per battery). I wouldn't trust those Basen cells above 10 amps, so around 60w maximum.

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
As already stated the batteries you're using aren't all that trustworthy and I'd get replacement batteries from a reputable dealer and name brand LG, Samsung, or Sony. Also just because it will fire your setup at 0.09 ohm even though rated to 0.1 ohm doesn't mean it's good for your mod. That's not a cheap mod and I doubt you're hoping for a short lifespan or flat out failure. Specs exist for a reason.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
The basen 3100mah are at best 10a CDR cells ---> Basen Black 40A 3100mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...shame on you Basen, a 10A battery!

When calculating battery amp draw for a regulated power device resistance is irrelevant as long as it is within the devices operating range. ---> Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum

The Therion 166 is a 2 cell power device with a .1Ω minimum in power/watt mode, .09Ω is below the minimum resistance & the cells you're using are low quality re wraps.
If you want to be 'safe' raise the resistance & buy new authentic name brand cells from a reputable source.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Please don't skip over the battery safety stuff. It's really important to use authentic cells that have been tested to show the real ratings. As you can see, the batteries you have aren't really designed for your application. There are tons of approved vendors on Mooch's list. Well, the best and most reliable vendors.

Regardless of the resistance of your coil-- which DOES affect wattage in the sense that the lower resistance usually, the higher the wattage needed to fire it successfully. Even if you have been lucky so far, you may be inadvertently stressing your mod, your batteries or both. It may not be a problem (to you) right this second, but the more you overstress the cells, the more dangerous it becomes.

Really, please get authentic batteries, with the right type of battery you should be able to run your mod safely at the wattages and resistance you want. If you MUST vape this setup until you can get more batteries, build a higher resistance build and then turn your wattage WAY down. It would be safest to not run that mod at all, depending on how long you have been using those batteries.

Anna

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Last edited:

1991zr-1

Jan 30, 2018
Please don't skip over the battery safety stuff. It's really important to use authentic cells that have been tested to show the real ratings. As you can see, the batteries you have aren't really designed for your application. There are tons of approved vendors on Mooch's list. Well, the best and most reliable vendors.

Regardless of the resistance of your coil-- which DOES affect wattage in the sense that the lower resistance usually, the higher the wattage needed to fire it successfully. Even if you have been lucky so far, you may be inadvertently stressing your mod, your batteries or both. It may not be a problem (to you) right this second, but the more you overstress the cells, the more dangerous it becomes.

Really, please get authentic batteries, with the right type of battery you should be able to run your mod safely at the wattages and resistance you want. If you MUST vape this setup until you can get more batteries, build a higher resistance build and then turn your wattage WAY down. It would be safest to not run that mod at all, depending on how long you have been using those batteries.

Anna
Appreciate all the posts. What Samsungs should I look into?

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The Samsung's highest rated 18650 that I know of is the Samsung30. It's slightly below it's specs, too, but will be vastly better than what you have. If you want even higher rated batteries, I'd consider some of the newer Sony's as well. I use the Samsung25s, but I vape lower wattage. Will have to balance overall life of the battery "mAh" with a battery that can handle your wattage safely. Can never figure out how to link the chart, but it is on Mooch's blog, which can be found here: Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

You should be able to find your various options quickly and it will give you some "trusted" vendors to use.

Best of luck,

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What Samsungs should I look into?
When choosing batteries for a REGULATED mod, the decision should be based upon the wattage setting that you will be using. (Remember, coil resistance is irrelevant with a reg. mod.) Just because you have a 200 watt regulated mod doesn't necessarily mean you need 30 amp batteries if you plan to never go over 60 watts.

In the interests of keeping things simple:

If you use a good quality 15 amp CDR battery like the Samsung 30Q or Sony VTC6, then you are good up to 45 watts per battery; 90 watts using two; 135 watts for three batteries.

If you use a good quality 20 amp CDR battery like the LG HG2 or Samsung 25R then you are good for 60 watts per battery. If using a 2-battery regulated mod, your good for 120 watts as you have two batteries. If you are using a 3-battery mod, you're good for 180.

If you use a single 30 amp CDR battery like the LG HB6 you are good up to 90 watts; with a pair of 30 amp CDR batteries you could safely do 180 watts assuming the mod cuts off when the batteries reach 3.4 volts.​

[Per single battery]
20W-45W:
Samsung 18650 30Q, 3000 mah 15 amp CDR
Sony 18659VTC6 3000mAh 15 amp CDR​
20W-60W:
LG 18650HG2 3000mah 20 amp CDR
LG 18650HE2 2500 mah 20 amp CDR
Samsung 18650-25R, 2500 mah 20 amp CDR
Sony 18650VTC5, 2600 mah 20 amp CDR
Sony 18650VTC4, 2100 mah 23 amp CDR
AW 18650 3000 mah 20 amp CDR​
30W - 75W:
Sony 18650VTC5A, 2500 mah 25 amp CDR​
60W - 90W:
LG18650HB6 1500mah 30 amp CDR​

Last edited:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. I agree with the above, ditch the Basen cells, and don't take it above 50-60 watts until you do. If you like LGs the HG2s should keep you safe up to about 120 watts, and the HD2Cs ought to be good out to 150+. I know the mod isn't supposed to fire anything unsafe, but how comfortable are you betting your face on electronics? In addition, I dare to suggest you will find a more satisfying vape experience with some taller coils. Going down to dual core claptons of the same build should boost the resistance to above .2ish, and I think you'll see better results. It's not about how low you can go, it's about how effectively you can use what you have. Coils down below .1 are for competitions and people who really do vape above 200W.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread