Saga sequel: REO Ascension. Review/Plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
I'll post this here, for general info. Jcalis already knows about it. I just melted a hot spring. ▲ This mod, if applied, ENTAILS THAT YOU FIRE UP A NEW BUILD WITH THE BRASS SHIM LIFTED AWAY. USE THE SPRING BEFORE YOU USE THE MOD!!! I did, and I always do, and I'm glad about that!!! ▼
Listen to the master! :D But seriously, keep safety measures at all times. Without a working hot spring, the only safety measure is you and only you. True, a battery that vents instead of freaking exploding helps, but still forget about that, simply don't allow it to happen in the first place.

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
BTW: Nicely done, jcalis! Looks great! No need to sand anymore, IMO. I've done 3 grands, and the brass shim mod always seems to leave .4V dropping. So, I think you've achieved 100% on that one. You will find that it's also .4V drop on your lower ohm build, I believe.
Thanks! Your detailed thread was the reason I could achieve it :D If it drops .4V even on the .4 ohm coil it's gonna be awesome! (or burning hot :p) But damn you nailed it with this mod, so easy to choose to use it or not, so non intrusive. Just pure awesomeness. I'm almost done sanding the black wrinkle REO, so I'll report back when I'm done modding that one with the .4 ohm coil :D

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
Alright! So, finally done with the Black Wrinkle. On a .4 ohm getting 3.6V, a drop of .6V vaping at 32.4 watts. It's SWEET! It kind of depends on the juice, but with fruity flavors it brings out the flavor real nice. Also, pdib, the spring doesn't collapse due to the heat this time. In fact, after 3 seconds of firing a .4 ohm coil with the spring, it would get really hot, one more second it started collapsing. With the shim, it barely gets warm at all. So your mod successfully allows me to do coils at .4 ohms and below without collapsing the spring. Yay! I was thinking about using the same brass shim to do something on the firing pin, but I'm so happy with the wattage I'm getting right now I don't really need more. Maybe for Science I'll do it sometime :D. Pics!

IMG_0935_1.jpg

IMG_0937_1.jpg

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
Who needs "thug life" when you've got "REO life" ;)
Hell yeah :D. Well, now that I'm done with modding, now I'm taking apart my RM2s, giving them a vodka bath as well as the tubing, then going to make two .6 ohm micro coils and put new flavors in. It was a rather epic experience doing this, and the results are pretty damn good. Props again to pdib for coming up with this idea!

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
It has been quite a saga to experience with you in reading your posts and threads!

Having been here in Reoville since March of 2011, I have seen many people come and go.

Always a pleasure to have someone new step out without hesitation and pen the merits of a REO!

Glad to have you around, and sure hope you stay with us here in Reoville!
I missed this post because I was on my phone stuck in traffic going at 10 miles :p. Thank you for those kind words! :D I'm staying for good :) So bring out your REOs and let the party continue!

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
I am truly in vaping nirvana. I gave both REOs a good vodka/hot water cleaning to the tubing, cap and drip well. Took the coils out, and made a pair of .6 ohm micro coils. The flavors have come out so strong, I'm a flavor nut (and occasional cloud chaser :p) so I go all out for flavors. They were already out of this world, but now they have gotten even better. At least for now my sweet spot goes around 22-24 watts. But wow, just wow, no words. Went ahead and ordered 100 feet of 24g kanthal and nichrome. I want to make long micro coils but still get that .5-.6 ohm resistance without having to resort to dual coils. I'm blown away, honestly. I can taste the flavors so lively as I take a drag before I even inhale/exhale. I always do either 0 nic or very low nic (I find that sometimes a bit of nicotine gives a little boost on some flavors). Very rarely (unless it's like high VG) do I even do 6 mg. I was doing 4mg but even that is proving too much for me on this setup :p. I'll have to step down to 2mg.

Lovin' it. After 5 hours modding and testing it, now having finally finished and gotten them ready to roll again, I forecast a very relaxing day of work tomorrow. Ya'll know why :D.

dhomes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
Austin, TX
LOL. Well, the battery plays a big role too. I know the AW IMR vents, and you said you hard shorted your sony 30 amps one and also proved to be safe. Reaction time matters as well.

Just finished modding my white REO! Sanded down a bit of the area, not the whole thing so might need to do that if I want an even greater improvement. So far, .6 ohm coil running on a fresh battery at 3.8V. That's a .4V drop compared to a .7V drop I was getting, now vaping at 24 watts. Black wrinkle is up now, with its .4 ohm, that's gonna be interesting :D.

Pics pics pics!
IMG_0932_1.jpg

IMG_0933_1.jpg

yes, shorted a Sony, but on a different device and due to a stuck button

haven't had a problem on the REO though

good deal with your modding your REO, pdib's mod is sure catching on

dhomes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
Austin, TX
I am truly in vaping nirvana. I gave both REOs a good vodka/hot water cleaning to the tubing, cap and drip well. Took the coils out, and made a pair of .6 ohm micro coils. The flavors have come out so strong, I'm a flavor nut (and occasional cloud chaser :p) so I go all out for flavors. They were already out of this world, but now they have gotten even better. At least for now my sweet spot goes around 22-24 watts. But wow, just wow, no words. Went ahead and ordered 100 feet of 24g kanthal and nichrome. I want to make long micro coils but still get that .5-.6 ohm resistance without having to resort to dual coils. I'm blown away, honestly. I can taste the flavors so lively as I take a drag before I even inhale/exhale. I always do either 0 nic or very low nic (I find that sometimes a bit of nicotine gives a little boost on some flavors). Very rarely (unless it's like high VG) do I even do 6 mg. I was doing 4mg but even that is proving too much for me on this setup :p. I'll have to step down to 2mg.

Lovin' it. After 5 hours modding and testing it, now having finally finished and gotten them ready to roll again, I forecast a very relaxing day of work tomorrow. Ya'll know why :D.

see? higher wattage does provide a more satisfactory vape for some of us

I never understood how people are satisfied vaping at 8 ~ 10 watts.

But hey, we all have different preferences.

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
see? higher wattage does provide a more satisfactory vape for some of us

I never understood how people are satisfied vaping at 8 ~ 10 watts.

But hey, we all have different preferences.
I've noticed the flavor matters a lot. I got a delicious Mojito flavor that I wouldn't run on over 15 watts at all. The flavor is too strong on its own, as a cooler vape it could probably make for a delicious all day vape, but pull 15 watts or over and it's going to get revolting. However fruity mixes are always much more lively in higher watts for me.

I also ordered some 22g kanthal, only 25 feet since it was fairly cheap just for the lols. See how big of a micro coil I could build with that and get like .4 ohms.

The company I work at is private and fairly small so basically we are all pretty close to each other. There isn't really a rule about smoking much less vaping. However, I'm at the entrance desk and one puff only will already fog the place up so I rather step out.

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
Hm, remade both coils one at .5 and the other at .7 ohms. Did a DIY juice 20/80 PG/VG. Not getting good vapor. I've always been puzzled by this. Sometimes I just can't get vapor at all. Of course I checked the voltage and it was outputting about 24 watts on the .5 ohm one. The RM2 was not flooded. Overall I've always had bad luck with high VG, they never put out good vapor for me. 50/50 does give me awesome plumes but high VG most of the time doesn't which makes no sense. What else can cause crappy vapor production?

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
Well that's a couple of things learnt about VG and RDAs. While the solution seems to be a bigger airhole I'll just do 40/60 or 30/70 and it'll do great. I got about 5 yk1 kts RDAs on the way for home use without having to mix/change bottles. I'll use those to mess around with the airhole and high VG juices.

Also I've heard a looot of things about Boba's Bounty and Pluid. I got Boba's Bounty and the taste was...interesting. I don't feel like it's the kind of flavor I like, but then again until I try it on an RDA I'm not doing it justice since I sampled it on the last atty I had which had absinthe before so you get the picture :p. I ordered Pluid 0 nic to see what all the fuzz about that flavor is about. I do love anise/absinthe :D. Went ahead and ordered 2 extra tubes just in case one of those strong flavors gets to be in the REO I'll dedicate a cap, tubing and bottle to it.

I got the springs from Bogger Box but damn they are huge. I think they barely fit the REO. They are too tall and probably wouldn't work well. I haven't actually tried to put them on, because I'm so happy with the brass shim. Also got this from Rob today, now don't say I never told you I'm a flavor nut :p.

IMG_0968_1.jpg

Think that makes it a total of 30 bottles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread