Not open for further replies.

mommabird62

squonkhead
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
NC
I have an RM2 that I was considering sanding down to it's brass form. Can this be done with a dremel? And what would be the best attachment to use? It has various sanding attachments including fine black sandpaper discs and also the little fine wire brush thingys.

And what would be the best technique? Should I go horizontal on the atty or vertical? The brass RM2s that I already have look like the "grain" went horizontal. Don't want it to come out looking mangled ;) Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk with my paws :)

Mommabird62

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
I've done several as mentioned screw it into a 510 adapter and then grab that in the drill. This allows you to spin the RM2 and keep the sand paper still. Doing it with the RM2 stationary and the sand paper moving , like a dremel, it will be hard to get a nice even sanding done.

Start with 220, then move up in grit until you get to the shine you like. 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000. You can go all the way to a mirror finish if you want.

320 or 400 will be a nice brushed look.

mommabird62

squonkhead
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
NC
We need pictures!!

LOL Especially for those of us whom are not too coordinated with drills. [emoji1]

Was hoping it could be done with the dremel but it sounds like it would not come out too evenly. It has a small fine wire brush attachment that I had considered and then go over with the fine sandpaper disc.

Mommabird62

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I have 7 RM2's, two that were done to brass by somebody before I bought them... one that was done nice, the other one not so nice. I have a drill press, several drill motors and a Foredom Tool in storage that I could rework them with very well... if I went to the trouble to dig them out. So way easier for me would be to just use the Dremel I already have in the house, along with the GP PnB I bought for cleaning/polishing all my GP PAPS mods. It will screw onto or into 510 connectors and it's shank will fit in one of my Dremels chucks. But this was just a long way of getting to the point that without the PnB I wouldn't use the Dremel at all - try to do it freehand like you're thinking. Yeah it could be done if done slow and careful enough... but way easier and way faster if done following what others have suggested.

Last edited:

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
Here's a completed one with 220 and 320 grit sand paper.

IMAG2000_1-L.jpg

Here's a 510- adapter, this is used to keep the threads of the RM2 from getting messed up by the teeth in the drill chuck.

IMG_20141230_120940-L.jpg

Here it is with the 510 adapter screwed on and then mounted into the drill. Just spin the drill and hold the sand paper against the RM2.

IMG_20141230_121302-L.jpg

Also there is a fine layer of copper between the plating and the brass, I've never been able to get it to stop at the copper only and I go through to the brass.

mommabird62

squonkhead
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
NC
Here's a completed one with 220 and 320 grit sand paper.

IMAG2000_1-L.jpg

Here's a 510- adapter, this is used to keep the threads of the RM2 from getting messed up by the teeth in the drill chuck.

IMG_20141230_120940-L.jpg

Here it is with the 510 adapter screwed on and then mounted into the drill. Just spin the drill and hold the sand paper against the RM2.

IMG_20141230_121302-L.jpg

Also there is a fine layer of copper between the plating and the brass, I've never been able to get it to stop at the copper only and I go through to the brass.

Thanks FB! That's a huge help. I think that I can swing it after seeing the pics ;)

Mommabird62

TheBikeGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2014
Dry Ridge, Kentucky, USA
I've not tried either, but from experience with other things that have grooves and trying to sand them, you'll will end up rounding the outside edges of the grooves.
That's kinda what I was thinking, but I thought I might be overlooking something obvious. Whatever you did, if you wanted the grooves done I would think you would have to do them first, so you could square the edges back up while sanding the outside.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Whats the easiest way to get the plating out of the grooves?

I'd use a form with square corners that with the sandpaper folded and wrapped on it tightly is the right width to fit down into the grooves. Form could be wood, a piece of metal or plastic... maybe a square jewelers file, the backbone of a kitchen knife, etc. A look around the house/garage may turn up something exactly the right size. Small thickness brass, other metal, plastics or woods can usually be found in hobby shops, some craft stores, etc as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread