SAPPHIRE - Just a idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldDragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
Kansas
Just had to dump one of my newsapphires, the juice was starting to get that burn taste, took it apart. Appears to be really well made, but would take a little micro work to put it back together(old eyes). After looking at it awhile I thought what would make it real nice if the atty part of it was separate, either a snap in or screw on with the nice tank. Love the way it is filled and that it is clear, just need a way to get to the atty for cleaning. I picture the tank with a few wick strands hanging down that fit into a atty. Maybe some design features for making a new bomb...
Also loving the new ce2, it's what I've been wanting for quite awhile...

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Whitestone , New York USA
Every week the sapphire is being improved, they are working on it nonstop, but becuase this will be a huge project unlike anything we have done before it they will do so in batches, we need to verify how they perform in the real world, with all types of batteries and voltages and juices, each batch we recieve each week will have minor improvements or major ones with minor or major adjustments, They will get them to the point where each ones performs exactly like the last, they are already one of the best performing clearomizer types out there and will get better and better. Dont worry about if you happen to get one that has a issue, we discussed the tight draw causing a burning taste, if this happens to be something you discover with one of the ones you use simply contact us and we will take care of you.

OldDragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
Kansas
The one I had was perfect, But with any atty - it heats the juice and after awhile it needs to be cleaned a little to get some of the goop off. I've tried all sorts of soaks, dry burning use this or that. nothing really works except replacement. Most of the time with my ce2's a good flush with water seems to get rid of most of the bad taste - just flush with water down the center hole, few little scrapes across the coils and I'm ready to go. Hope someone is working on a perfect cleaner for wicks and coils, would be the next great item to add to vaping as long as it had no after taste. In my over year vaping, I think I've popped maybe 2 coils, all the rest have been tossed due to taste problems

VapingMattCA

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
West Palm Beach, FL
A meshed bridge could be added on top of the coil so that the supply wicking makes direct contact with that instead of the coil itself. If juice can't be supplied at a fast enough rate to keep up with what is being vaporized juice will burn on the supply wick which will mess the taste up and also decrease its wicking ability. I have observed this on 4 of my 8 Saphires. 2 of them worked ok but by the time the tank was 1/4 full the burnt juice made its way into the tank and changed my almost clear juice to a brown color. I even lowered my VG % to 30% from 40% and that didn't make any difference.

Another idea is to get rid of the supply wicking all together. A flap valve could be used instead. When a draw is taken the suction would cause the flap to open sending juice into the atty. How strong the draw is would determine how far the flap valve would open. If there would happen to be a dry hit, taking a draw without activating the device would resupply the atty. This would turn the Saphire into an automatic dripping carto. Dripping works great but it becomes a pain in the ... to keep dripping esepcially when driving.

A meshed bridge could be added on top of the coil so that the supply wicking makes direct contact with that instead of the coil itself. If juice can't be supplied at a fast enough rate to keep up with what is being vaporized juice will burn on the supply wick which will mess the taste up and also decrease its wicking ability. I have observed this on 4 of my 8 Saphires. 2 of them worked ok but by the time the tank was 1/4 full the burnt juice made its way into the tank and changed my almost clear juice to a brown color. I even lowered my VG % to 30% from 40% and that didn't make any difference.

OMG- thats what is happening to me- I got my first ones, they were heaven. Lasted about 3 or so days each- cleaned them, they worked longer and still DO work, I just cant replace the wick. I screw it up every time... ??? so I got 4 more- and I notice these are 'burning' quicker- I get a burned taste faster- OR worse, no taste at all, but there is vapor...?? I dont know what the deal is.

and it IS turning my clearish juice dark... I am just glad its not something I DID to screw it up. I am very scatterbrained adn tend to forget day to day what something did and what tweaks I have to do to keep things on an even keel. . So, consitancy is the key with me.

VapingMattCA

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
West Palm Beach, FL
I got some 3 ohm Saphires and the one I am using so far hasn't had the browning of the juice in the supply tank. It is wicking better and I noticed the wick looks different on the 3.0s. Sometimes it wicks too good and I have to blow it out and some slightly brown color juice comes out but not nearly as brown as the 2.3 ohm ones. Overall the 3.0s are better but still need some work. I think adding a bridge to the coil would be a good thing to try as it would stop the juice from burning on the supply wick that makes contact with the coil and this might improve the flavor as its a bit muted.

JW50

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
USA Kentucky
Just had to dump one of my newsapphires, the juice was starting to get that burn taste, took it apart. Appears to be really well made, but would take a little micro work to put it back together(old eyes). After looking at it awhile I thought what would make it real nice if the atty part of it was separate, either a snap in or screw on with the nice tank. Love the way it is filled and that it is clear, just need a way to get to the atty for cleaning. I picture the tank with a few wick strands hanging down that fit into a atty. Maybe some design features for making a new bomb...
Also loving the new ce2, it's what I've been wanting for quite awhile...

Maybe ultrasound cleaner using maybe vinegar or vodka might be an effective way to clean. Of course, leave stopper off when cleaning.

JW50

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
USA Kentucky
Maybe ultrasound cleaner using maybe vinegar or vodka might be an effective way to clean. Of course, leave stopper off when cleaning.

Tried the ultrasound with vinegar as cleaning solution. It did not work - really at all. Interesting finding though. Sapphires seem to work well on Lea batteries.

zer0ith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2011
Burlington, Ontario
I tried cleaning using vinegar (24 hr soak) and then 24 hr air dry. I found that no matter what juice I used tasted like vinegar afterwards.

On the plus side I turned it into a shorty de-bridged atty and vaped some pure unflavoured PG until it got better. But I'm still finding vodka works best for cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread