Scavenge parts from old computers, mp3 players, electric toothbrushes, musical greeting cards, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwistedInFresno

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2011
Fresno, CA
I'm really interested in building my own mods. I have 2 problems: I am financially challenged, and I don't understand the basics of electricity...amps, watts, volts, resistance, etc.
I have been reading the modding forums and a lot of the parts I see listed, it seems as if they could be scavenged from old computers and other electronics. There are capacitors on motherboards, led lights, usb connectors, switches, wire... I've seen pressure activated buttons and switches in greeting cards, electric toothbrushes.

Why can't we use the connectors and switches, etc., from the dead batteries and atomizers? I see people using big clunky switches and buttons made from doorbells. Why couldn't I use the button from a dead manual battery?

I'm sure there are reasons that some of this stuff can't be used. I'm just as sure there are lots of things we can scavenge that I'm not aware of or haven't thought of.

I would like to hear others ideas...really hoping that I can cannibalize the old pc's I have in storage...as they're too old to even install most recent Linux builds...lol.

I would also appreciate suggestions on internet resources that explain the electronics stuff I need to understand in VERY simple terms...electricity for dummies as it were...:confused:

Robert T

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2010
Lake City, Florida
I don't think anyone is intentionally ignoring you it's just you asked a lot of questions that can be answered by continued reading. That's what I do for the most part and usually find the answer.

If you want to build an inexpensive 3.7 box mod then that can be done for about 5 or 6 bucks. You can get connectors from old batts and attys and get used parts from old computers if you know what you're looking for and know how to de-solder. There was a recent thread about books on basic electronics but if you know what you want to learn check on u tube, someone prob made a video.

Welcome and hope that made sense....

Robert

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
There really is a book called

"Electronics for Dummies"

Hit some of the modding sites and just look around for ideas, Madvapes.com has free info in addition to selling stuff.

Hit some electronic supplier sites, and ebay.

Every time you see something interesting, that's knowledge.

You take the initiative, we'll jump in and help.

GO study the Madvapes site, and come back with questions.

Rocket

(Musical greeting card: the Happy Happy Birthday Mod :))

TwistedInFresno

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2011
Fresno, CA
Thanks for the feedback. I have actually spent a couple of days reading here on the forum...but there's SO much info...and maybe I'm using the wrong search terms. I will read the info on circuits. I've seen lots of diagrams, but I need to understand things like MOSFETS, and ohms, amps, etc., if I'm going to try to cannibalize my old electronics, and substitute parts from them for buying parts from electronics suppliers. Again, thanks for the feedback guys![/:vapor:FONT]

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
Another thing to think of is if desoldering parts you can easily kill them or drastically reduce their life . New parts are cheap enough to not have to bother with desolding and stuff . Check out digikey or mouser . Caps are usually less than .40 cents . You mostly likely wont find the parts you need off a motherboard .

slimest

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2011
Russia, Moscow
ecigroom.myqip.ru
I think that the simplest way to understand electricity basics is to search in Google with keywords: electricity understanding. There is a lot of basic articles. When you understand the basics, move to mosfets etc. You can also try another keywords. Search information and read.

Last edited:

BubbaNubba

Verified Member
Oct 6, 2011
Vancouver
As far as salvaging components from consumer electronics goes yes it can be done but you're going to need some background in electronics and a multimeter to figure out what you have. And a heat gun to get the comments off the boards. There are plenty of resistors, capacitors, transformers etc but many of them are surface mount components and those are fairly difficult to work with for a beginner. Also the fact that they are unlabeled for the most part, that's where a multimeter comes in, you have to spend a huge amount of time just figuring out what you have and try to match that with what you need. I know, I've done this before and it wasn't very much fun.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just a hell of allot of work.

As far as learning about electronics I'd recommend reading anything and everything by Forest Mimms III. Don't let the diagrams of electrons with smiley faces put you off, this guy is a genius and his books are easy to read and packed full of information.

P1NkY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
Planet Earth
Here is an online book with easy to understand general theory and component explanations.
Volume I - DC : All About Circuits

Wow, pnguin! I spent quite a bit of time looking for something like this site for Twisted and came up with some that were too crappy, some too complicated and some which actually had erroneous info! I gave up in disgust and hoped someone else had better luck and came to his/her aid...

Thanks for that! A+++ -P1NkY

@mrjaguar: Simple and to the point! Well said, sir; I like your style!

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Wow, pnguin! I spent quite a bit of time looking for something like this site for Twisted and came up with some that were too crappy, some too complicated and some which actually had erroneous info! I gave up in disgust and hoped someone else had better luck and came to his/her aid...

Agree. The All About Circuits site has some of the best tutorials for electronics I've seen on the net. They also have a really good forum if you want to get into stuff that's beyond the scope of this forum.

LukeTheDuke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2011
midwest Illinois
you know those annoying junk mails you get from car stealerships? (dealerships)

they a pretty colored and say "come in today and see if your key unlocks this new car!"
well some of them have a electronic key fob attached to the add,
well theres nothing electronic about the key fob its just cheap plastic with buttons...

good buttons!
ive taken the rubber buttons and used them on the outside of a altoid mod with the tacky 5amp rat shack switch,
ive also taken the metal film that makes the cheapass key fob click like a real button and done the same as above...
recycled parts id say...

STEELJAN ROCKS! ive watched like all her videos... iam hoping for a beer kit for christmas lol but ill prolly get baby stuff

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread