"Scientists" use vapor to study cigarette smoke. Science laughs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Hm... about the cognitive enhancement of nicotine AND the habit of inhaling something (e.g. smoke or vapor with nicotine), drawing it in deeply, getting calm, very calm, getting collected, very collected.... blowing it out slowly, repeating the process.. and BAM: being ready for just about anything ...

- here is a small anecdote from my own life:

I work in an office. And I used to work directly in sales, taking care of our sales department's regular customers. Sometimes there was a difficult phone call to make. Something that needs focus. And a little preparation in my mind. - Well, when we were able to smoke in the office, I (and many others) used to light a cigarette before that difficult phone call. Inhale deeply... get calm... collect our thoughts.. concentrate.... and the right thoughts and ideas would come. Then we would pick up the receiver and make the call, well prepared.

Then the smoking ban came in the office. Hm... I bought a pack of nicotine gum. Let's see if this serves the purpose. I could chew on this stuff - chew hard to get that nicotine. Yeah, it went "BAM" as if a horse had kicked me (Like when I used to chew caffeine pills as a young lady). Sure, I was alert. But the thoughts did not come. None of them. It was not the same. Not the same at all. I tried it 2-3 times. Then stopped that. And threw the package away about 2 years later when I found it in my drawer.

To me - personally - it is the combination of the nicotine and the action. The nicotine will not work without the action. And the action will not work without the nicotine. But both together, that works just fine. :)

That was an anecdote from my own experience. And I use this combination when I write stories, when I write things online, when I read texts, reflect on things, etc. This combination most definitely helps me concentrate. The action, which is like a small "meditation" and helps me collect my thoughts, and the nicotine, which works (for me) as a little picker-upper :)

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Hm... about the cognitive enhancement of nicotine AND the habit of inhaling something (e.g. smoke or vapor with nicotine), drawing it in deeply, getting calm, very calm, getting collected, very collected.... blowing it out slowly, repeating the process.. and BAM: being ready for just about anything ...

- here is a small anecdote from my own life:

I work in an office. And I used to work directly in sales, taking care of our sales department's regular customers. Sometimes there was a difficult phone call to make. Something that needs focus. And a little preparation in my mind. - Well, when we were able to smoke in the office, I (and many others) used to light a cigarette before that difficult phone call. Inhale deeply... get calm... collect our thoughts.. concentrate.... and the right thoughts and ideas would come. Then we would pick up the receiver and make the call, well prepared.

Then the smoking ban came in the office. Hm... I bought a pack of nicotine gum. Let's see if this serves the purpose. I could chew on this stuff - chew hard to get that nicotine. Yeah, it went "BAM" as if a horse had kicked me (Like when I used to chew caffeine pills as a young lady). Sure, I was alert. But the thoughts did not come. None of them. It was not the same. Not the same at all. I tried it 2-3 times. Then stopped that. And threw the package away about 2 years later when I found it in my drawer.

To me - personally - it is the combination of the nicotine and the action. The nicotine will not work without the action. And the action will not work without the nicotine. But both together, that works just fine. :)

That was an anecdote from my own experience. And I use this combination when I write stories, when I write things online, when I read texts, reflect on things, etc. This combination most definitely helps me concentrate. The action, which is like a small "meditation" and helps me collect my thoughts, and the nicotine, which works (for me) as a little picker-upper :)

Why rather than restricting and prohibiting vaping (or smoking for that matter) in the workplace, it should be mandatory :D And if you can smoke in the workplace, you don't need 'smoke breaks' :)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Why rather than restricting and prohibiting vaping (or smoking for that matter) in the workplace, it should be mandatory :D And if you can smoke in the workplace, you don't need 'smoke breaks' :)

I've thought this for YEARS. And also that since the gov't is sucking on smokers like leeches, we ought to have free rein to do our thing anywhere, anytime -- tobacco taxes are basically keeping the gov't afloat! But no, we were treated as particularly nasty lepers, and now they want to do the same thing to us as vapers -- and there are people so brainwashed by that leper treatment that they think we ought to go along with it, and only vape where it's "permitted" to smoke! :-x I say the prohibitionists ought to get over themselves!

Andria

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
I'm a fan of nicotine and caffeine alike, but for no other reason than because I like the way they make me feel. If either one actually improves my cognitive abilities to any degree, I can't say I've ever noticed the difference.

You and me both - and it's interesting, I think we're in a minority. Not many people seem to get a buzz from nicotine.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
@AndriaD:

Well said indeed. :thumb:
And I suppose that the employers just have to deal with the lost productivity.

It's just such a common human failing, this assumption that just because *I* don't want to do something, then NO ONE should want to do it, and that it shouldn't be done AT ALL -- non-smokers are so certain of this, that because THEY have no need to smoke, then no one else does either, and no one SHOULD want to do that awful, foul, stinky thing, and when smokers say they "need" a smoke, they just want to be lazy for a few minutes -- never imagining for a single moment that if smokers (and now, vapers) could just get what they need, they'd be WORLDS more productive! :facepalm: I'm really getting about tired of it, this myopic vision so infuriatingly common in the human race.

It happens here, too, and I've had to learn to overcome it in myself -- because *I* can't use much VG, then it's just awful stuff -- but there are plenty here who feel that way about PG, and who sometimes have gone to great lengths to try and convince me that VG making me short of breath is all in my imagination, that 100% VG will fix it completely! (and it might, actually -- if I died of asphyxiation, I really wouldn't care about any of this!) :facepalm:

Andria

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
You and me both - and it's interesting, I think we're in a minority. Not many people seem to get a buzz from nicotine.

As with any psychotropic substance, frequency of use probably has a lot to do with it. I was never a heavy smoker, and I got a buzz every time I had a cigarette. It was the main reason why I enjoyed smoking. Once in a while I'd get to smoking more than usual, and the result would always be that I didn't get a buzz anymore. I didn't really see the point of smoking if the most enjoyable aspect of it was gone, so that's why I always stayed around 1/2 PAD or less.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
This thread seems like a good place to once again give my personal experience.

This is something I have been saying since day one, and I've said it many times in many different ways...
So true, and it is something that non-smokers will probably never understand.
Heck, there are a lot of smokers that don't even understand.
:)

I smoked in order to take a break from life for 10 minutes.

Sometimes it was to think something through, sometimes it was to get ready for something.
Sometimes it was to deal with stress, sometimes it was to get away from a situation that made me uncomfortable.

Sometimes it was just a reward for getting something done.

I was not a social smoker in any way, and in fact did not want to talk at all when I had a smoke break.
Having a smoke let me get away, have something mindless to do with my hands, rhythmic breathing, watching the smoke.

I planned my days, solved my problems, calmed down, or just escaped for a bit.

I'm not saying that nobody ever gets addicted to nicotine alone, as I'm sure there are some that do.
But I wasn't not one of them, and am most assuredly now not one of them.

But I was very much addicted to smoking.

Chrissi

Dec 10, 2012
London
news dot yahoo dot com/studies-vaping-brain-may-offer-clues-smoking-addiction-001827022.html

Because what better way to determine the properties of a substance than by studying the properties of a completely different substance? This reeks of scientific awesomeness.

TRANSLATION: We will study the addiction profile of cigarette smoking by having people do a non-smoking activity with little to no potential for addiction. Why? Because science.

TRANSLATION: That gentleman suffered some unfortunate second- and third-degree burns over 80% of his body, but he'll go on to live a very full life once the skin grafts are complete.

TRANSLATION: Vaping appears to be an enjoyable activity that you can taste and smell. We know this because we're scientists. We went to science school and everything.

:lol:Quality lol

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I know that I never did.

I did when I was 13 and first started smoking. Since then (40 ys!) not at all, although if I ever had to go for over an hour without a cigarette, when I finally did get to smoke, sometimes it made me a little dizzy; not sure if that was just the hr-long deprivation, or because when I finally got to smoke, I went at it like a maniac. :D

And yes, to me, an hour without a cigarette was a major hardship, so it's absolutely certain that I was absolutely addicted, and even when I started vaping, I had no thought of quitting cigarettes -- it just seemed so easy with e-cigs, I figured, why not. :D

Andria

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I did when I was 13 and first started smoking. Since then (40 ys!) not at all, although if I ever had to go for over an hour without a cigarette, when I finally did get to smoke, sometimes it made me a little dizzy; not sure if that was just the hr-long deprivation, or because when I finally got to smoke, I went at it like a maniac. :D
That was most likely due to carbon monoxide robbing your brain of oxygen.
I got that same "buzz" from the first cigarette of the day, and it usually lasted for about one minute.

However, I can't discount the idea that some people DO get some kind of buzz from nicotine.
I do think that if it is true for some, it is probably somewhat rare.

I just know for certain that I never did.
:)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I never got a buzz from a cigarette either.
And I did not enjoy that carbon monoxide feeling. Not at all. But I had no choice. I had to put up with this, to get what I want.
Now I do have a choice. And I enjoy it very much :)

I used to like it, but then, I was usually dizzy already from some other substance, so hey, the more the merrier. :D I'm past that now, and when I've gotten the head-spins from vaping too much 12mg at the tasting bar, I didn't really care for the feeling.

Which makes me think maybe it *was* the nicotine that made me dizzy, because sure enough, if I vape too high nicotine now, I get the head spins. And I'm *very* sensitive to too much nicotine, but then, my liver is so pristine now, an aspirin probably gives it a buzz. :D

Andria

skex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2009
Austin Tx USA
I don't get all the drama here, In fact the idea makes perfect sense. Study the act (ritual) and possibly the effect of nicotine in isolation from other factors that may or may not have contributed to the addictiveness of cigarettes. In fact it provides the possibility of double blind trials where neither the subjects nor those administering the tests will know who is getting nicotine and who's getting PG/VG. Everything is not a conspiracy and assuming it is just makes you look crazy. Next thing we'll have people claiming the moon landing was faked (like the Russians would have let us get away with that).

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
I don't get all the drama here, In fact the idea makes perfect sense.

I don't see any drama here. I see people pointing out the flaws in a study design. If you don't think those flaws exist, more power to you.

Study the act (ritual) and possibly the effect of nicotine in isolation from other factors that may or may not have contributed to the addictiveness of cigarettes.

1. I'm pretty sure no one practices a smoking ritual that involves climbing into an MRI tube before they light up.

2. The effects of nicotine in isolation are already well understood. It has little to no potential for abuse or dependence. Even the FDA agrees on that.

In fact it provides the possibility of double blind trials where neither the subjects nor those administering the tests will know who is getting nicotine and who's getting PG/VG.

From which we would learn what exactly?

Everything is not a conspiracy and assuming it is just makes you look crazy.

When did anyone in this thread say anything about a conspiracy?

Next thing we'll have people claiming the moon landing was faked (like the Russians would have let us get away with that).

Which one? We went to the moon nine times and landed on it six times.

skex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2009
Austin Tx USA
I don't see any drama here. I see people pointing out the flaws in a study design. If you don't think those flaws exist, more power to you.

It's a Yahoo news article I seriously doubt it provides sufficient data for you to critique the study's design or methodology.

1. I'm pretty sure no one practices a smoking ritual that involves climbing into an MRI tube before they light up.

I'm pretty sure most people don't make a habit of crawling into an MRI to .........e but they've still used it as a method to study human brain activities during orgasm.

2. The effects of nicotine in isolation are already well understood. It has little to no potential for abuse or dependence. Even the FDA agrees on that.

But the affects of it when combined with the behaviors is not ergo the study.

From which we would learn what exactly?

Who knows? That's one of the wonderful things about science sometimes you find things you don't expect. If we only studied things we were certain would produce results we'd still be living in huts and burning whale fat for light.

When did anyone in this thread say anything about a conspiracy?

Seriously? You have actually been reading your thread haven't you?

Perhaps my tinfoil hat is malfunctioning, but this study appears to me as just another underhanded attempt to conflate vaping with smoking. This study doesn't even pay lip service to the usual ANTZ lies, misrepresentation of evidence, or other propaganda tactics. It states it as a self-evident fact that vaping and smoking have the same "effect on the brain". Claims of similar "addiction" potential are also made in the same tone. :facepalm:

Which one? We went to the moon nine times and landed on it six times.

Doesn't stop people from claiming it was all a hoax.

While you may not have intended it to fire up peoples conspiracy bug it doesn't take much around here to fan those flames. Maybe it's a crappy study with crap methodology I don't know, and unless you've seen more than that article neither do you. But we've just went through 8 pages of paranoia and dubious opinions and pseudo-scientific nonsense masquerading as fact. Right up to your "Nicotine" isn't additive none-sense.

This kind of crap doesn't serve vaper's or the cause in any positive manner, I don't want vaping associated with fringe crazies who make unsound unfounded claims about stuff they don't actually understand. I don't want it to be associated with the anti-vax movement or the anti-fluoride craziness.

We don't need it, cool rational arguments are on our side. Science is on our side a study like the one described will at worse be inconclusive and teach us nothing (kind of like 99.99% of every experiment ever) on the other hand it could actually provide some unanticipated but incredibly useful piece of data that could lead to other discoveries. It's kind of how the scientific method works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread