Screwdriver MK2 fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I just recieved a new SD MK2 in the mail today and I am really annoyed. I was really looking forward to using it as I have heard nothing but good news about it and its supposed quality of workmanship. I followed the instructions to the letter. I charged up the battery and put everything together (yes I did put the battery in the right way), put a few drops of liquid in the atty and pressed the button to do a glow check. Nothing happened except that the unit warmed up in my hand slightly. I tested it with another battery and also another atty. Nothing. I took the thing apart again and looked in the atty end of the unit. The spring inside was kind of squashed up and burnt looking. I took the rubber seal out and saw that the spring runs through a piece of PCB which was just loose and free floating. I assume it is supposed to be glued and fixed in place to the casing. Why wouldn't they use a non-conductive metal part instead of a piece of PCB? There was untidy bits of glue on the surface of the PCB, and the PCB didn't adequately cover the hole. It had two small gaps on each side, so I can imagine that despite the rubber seal it would be possible for juice to get down to the battery since there is not adequate sealing at the other end; there is a slight gap between the casing and the atty connector on the top side. I have to say I'm not really impressed right now. The screwdriver is such an elegant simple design, it shouldn't be hard to construct the thing without faults. They go on and on about the quality of the workmanship on the TW site and how it is manufactured to exacting UK standards. This is plain old shoddy workmanship. You can't put it any other way. Is it made in China now or something? Has anyone else had this experience? For what it is and what you pay for it, The workmanship should be of a high quality using quality materials. *phew* I feel much better now that I have vented. I was just really looking forward to it arriving and now I can't use it. This blows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread