Second Day Was Harder Than The First. (Oddly?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_silhouette

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
Boston
Still not smoking, but had some serious cravings today. Vaped through, (most of ), them, as recommended by some kindly ecf members.

To be honest, I did smoke 1/2 an analog, this evening, in the parking garage. Some people were smoking there, and I felt, what could almost be described as, "Nostalgia", sweep over me. Smoking has been part of my identity for thirty-three yrs... I had a half an analog in the car, so I rolled down the window and lit it. It didn't gross me out, like I've heard some folks say, who vape, then try smokes again. But it wasn't what I was looking for either...If you know what I mean...it didn't satisfy like it used to. I didn't need it as much perhaps. I didn't feel any relief I couldn't get from vaping, plus I felt a vague sense of... disappointment?

Maybe you really CAN"T go "Home" again, once you've resided in Vapedom...

I know that each clean day will still be challenging to achieve. The thing is, in the past, every attempt to be smoke-free was sheer agony, and ended in failure, because no amount of personal will power, could get me through. And believe me I tried! I became such a sleep deprived, tension filled Byotch... everyone was secretly praying I'd just smoke a damn cigarette already! LOL! I was a miserable human being, and I just could stand myself being like that...

Unlike yesterday, I noticed I was a bit short tempered today. ( a tiny bit!). I was struggling with some heart-burn too...but... vaping. Just. Works. I tried a new flavor today, Black Clove, and I rather enjoy it! I Also learned that I was a winner in the, Twelve Days Of Christmas, givaway contest!!! (Haven't gotten the pm, for shipping details yet though...?), and I am thinking I might like something Christmas-y to vape like...ummm...Eggnog! I must admit...This the most FUN I've ever had quitting! I love this movement. And I love this community.

We ROCK! :headbang:

Last edited:

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
I smoked and vaped for a couple weeks before I put down the cigs totally. It's been about 5 months for me. I tried a cigarette not too long ago just out of curiosity. To be honest, it didn't taste that horrible to me. Certainly the vapes taste a lot better, but I didn't get grossed out by it as some people say they have. Though the smell certainly is intense now. That's one thing I've noticed since I put down the cigs. I can smell somone smoking a mile away now.

Anway, as a new vaper, don't make yourself suffer. I mean, you've smoked for thirty some years, a couple weeks isn't going to make much difference. Just do what feels right and I'm sure you'll find yourself putting down the cigs without even thinking about it. I found it quite easy myself. I was 3 pack a day smoker for 30 some years.

pkj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2010
Paula in Arizona
Congratulations on surviving your second day and on winning in the 12 Days of Christmas giveaway. That is great news.

Smoking addiction is not easy to kick. Vaping did the trick for me. Some people continue to smoke while they are vaping. There is nothing wrong with that. Cigarettes are still legal :)

There are many chemicals in cigarettes that are affecting you and it will take a bit for them to clear your system. Be gentle with yourself. You have chosen to vape. It has helped hundreds of thousands of us kick tobacco. With your conviction and your attitude, I strongly suspect you will find vaping works for you too.

Wishing you ALL the best,
Paula

Last edited:

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
Ohhh ya. Everyone is different. Some can completely quit 1st day....some still smoke occasionally. Smoking less is a win either way. I was an "accidental quitter". My first PV was donated to me. Around a week later I was a former smoker and full time vaper. During that week I slowly cut down from roughly 1.5 packs a day to one cigarette...then none. It felt like freedom and it felt wrong all the same. For years my cigarettes had been with me through thick and thin. They were like a friend who was always there when needed. They were...killing me. I get an analog craving here and there but it's just like any other craving that I have (I developed an allergy to alcohol a few years back, a simple beer could randomly kill me...and I sometimes really miss having a beer)...I get over it.

Should I ever light up a cigarette in the future I know it will be nothing more than "enjoying a smoke". Nothing more than maybe having that fat slice of cheesecake after a huge dinner...LOL. I'm not too worried about it and won't stress over it should that happen. Hell...I probably smoke at least one good cigar every so often (and a few crappy ones in between) but I'm in no way a "cigar smoker".

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
That's one way to look at it, quitting tobacco that is, but in my case, I had no intention of quitting. My wife picked up vaping and in trying her e-cig, I quickly found that vapes are in fact superior to smoke. For me, it's a healthier more enjoyable way to use tobacco. Unless you're vaping 0mg nic juice, you really aren't giving up the tobacco. It's possible to obtain nicotine without extracting it from tobacco since it occurs naturally in other plants, but I'm pretty sure that's where it all comes from. Some people do use vaping to quit smoking and break the nicotine dependency by lowering their level over time, but I think there's a lot of us that have no intention of doing that.

Aaeli

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2010
Kansas, U.S.
Your description of a "nostalgia" feeling is spot on. I've had a hard time describing that when I talk about my first week off smokes completely. It was almost like a sadness to let it go. You know those commercials where people are learning to drive, walk, etc without a cigarette? They're funny, but pretty true as well. It IS hard to put aside something that has been a big part of your identity for such a long time.

I can say that in my experience, this period of adjustment took about a week to get through. I did take a puff off my husband's cig about two or three weeks after the switch and that experience killed cigarettes for me. It smelled and tasted horrible.

You can do it! I read a neat saying somewhere on the internet that said, "Never stop quitting!". I think that about sums it up. Soon you'll be past this stage.

TxMagic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2010
Austin

Juppers

Verified Member
Dec 14, 2010
Lexington, KY
I didn't know how well this vaping thing was going to work for me, and I still have 3 or 4 packs left from my last carton. It's only been since thursday afternoon, now I don't know what to do with all those analogs. On one hand, I want to throw them away and say good riddance, but another part of me is still scared to leave them behind completely. I haven't been hit with a craving for one yet, even after a night at the bar friday. I've considered just finishing off the partial pack that I was smoking before the eGo arrived, but is that a craving? Is that a road back? It's a whole new world now, and I guess it's going to take a little time to learn how to navigate it. I'm pretty darn determined to not go back to smoking.

texasgranny

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2010
Texas
Our smoking (analog) thing has been with us awhile. There is a whole lot to "give up" than just that puffing smoke thing.

Very much a mental thing as well. We all have different stories about how it worked for us, how long before we put the analogs down. For me, I took about 2 weeks. For some, one day. For others, 2 months.

Do you know what strength of nic you have?

That can really effect those first few weeks. It may be that you need a higher nic content at first and then you can taper off that strength later (if you want to)

"Many others have tappered off to less mg of nic, but still keep a higher nic bottle of juice for some of those
"temptation" times.

And yes, this community is great. They are here to support you thru this and help you thru those bumps in the road that may come up.
Glad to have you here.

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
The thing is, in the past, every attempt to be smoke-free was sheer agony, and ended in failure, because no amount of personal will power, could get me through. And believe me I tried! I became such a sleep deprived, tension filled Byotch... everyone was secretly praying I'd just smoke a damn cigarette already! LOL!

About 20 years ago I worked in Utah - the whole state is pretty much a non-smoking area. The people I worked with griped at me constantly to quit smoking, so I did. Eleven days later everyone I worked with chipped in together and bought me a carton of cigarettes. I'm evil when I don't smoke.

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
About 20 years ago I worked in Utah - the whole state is pretty much a non-smoking area. The people I worked with griped at me constantly to quit smoking, so I did. Eleven days later everyone I worked with chipped in together and bought me a carton of cigarettes. I'm evil when I don't smoke.

Me too. The only other time I quit smoking, all of my friends left town together for the weekend, and didn't tell me where they went.

I got my ecig 11/24 along with 18mg juice. I had cigarette cravings and didn't stop analogs until I got some 24mg juice. You might want to up your nicotine. BTW, I don't see any reason to quit nicotine. I fully expect to keep on it the rest of my life.

Uni*corn*Prinzess

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2010
Iowa
One day at a time is best motto like everybody said.

1 PAD(30+yrs) when I started . I received my VP on 5th of Nov. along with ejuice company had to offer. That ejuice tasted horrible(still sitting there, 1/2 bottle left). But I did order more from a very reputable company and received those on the 20th. By then I was down to 1/2 PAD. First couple of days I only had 1 cig, tho took me all day to smoke it. After that I was hooked. I still occasional cravings, I choose to ignore them and vape it away. Usually it works most of the time.

Don't get me wrong I still miss it, its like losing a best friend especially during stressful times. But now I am having too much fun exploring the new world of vaping, therefore gaining a new best friend to have fun with. Little did I know I am just touching the tip of the surface of new juices flavor to try.

So don't be hard on yourself. So sit back, enjoy and explore the new world excellent adventure of vaping. lol that my motto :)

Badbeams3

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2009
Tampa
Completely normal. I kept smoking for around a month...just a whole lot less. It wasn`t till I went with a real high nic level that I was able to transfer my addiction to vaping 100%. Then I was in control. Cut back the nic level over time and finally down to 0...and then quit vaping too...for about 6 months. Then I relapsed on a great tasting cigar at Downtown Disney. Mmmm tasted sooo good. So I`m back...but now I KNOW it works...for me. And I`ll do it again. And again and again if I have to.

As other posters have said...don`t beat yourself up...not at all...but keep your determination high.

Jessara

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2010
SW Oklahoma
First of all, congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking, and in your success so far. Yes - I said success. Even if you still pick up an "analog" every so often, you are still succeeding in your desire to live a healthier life.

Just some advice here: Don't compare yourself to anyone else here. Sure, for me, the first day I got my pv was the last day I smoked an analog. But also consider that even though I smoked for almost 27 years (at times up to 3 PAD), the last few years I've been smoking outside and I've actually HATED smoking - I hated it, but just couldn't quit. So the switch was easy for me even though *every* other method I've tried over the years to quit, never worked. So anyway, I guess I'm saying, don't concentrate on what you consider "slipping" - concentrate on your SUCCESSES so far!

Second piece of advice: I think another reason it was easy for me to quit analogs so fast is because, before I got my pv, I never *expected* it to stop my smoking entirely. I think attitude has a lot to do with our successes. Especially when it comes to smoking. I know there have been other times over the years where if I even *thought* about quitting, I'd have to light up because it made me so nervous just to THINK about. But when my husband and I made the decision to try e-cigs, we discussed it a lot and our general thoughts were, "hey, if nothing else, maybe they will just help us cut way back". We *never* imagined e-cigs would completely wipe out our desire for analogs! BTW, I think it also helps me that I'm living with someone else that is going through the same feelings I am. My husband is a fantastic support (as I am to him), but we also have his mother that lives with us who has congratulated us all along the way - and even my daughter has come up to me out of nowhere and just given me a big hug and said "thank you for quitting smoking, mom". :)

Third piece of advice: As others have said here - maybe an increase in the mg of nicotine juice will help you through those rough times. You can always use the lower nicotine juice most of the time, but just keep one cart filled with some super-juice (high nic) for those "emergencies".

Once again, you are doing GREAT! Be proud of how far you've come so far, and don't kick yourself for touching an analog. Don't make this a fight with willpower. Just let it come around naturally. Whether you realize it or not right now, you ARE another e-cig success story! Keep up the great work you're doing!

Congratulations on making the conscious effort to quit analogs.
Yes, the nostalgia will hit. The good times you associate with smoking (sigh!) can be overwhelming. It's HARD to leave that old comfort zone!
Just think of it as ending an old but damaging friendship with analogs, and creating a new and far better relationship with vaping.
You'll find many good friends here to help you along your way!

Meggalette

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Herrin, Illinois
voodoolounge.webs.com
I've went from a PAD to bumming on or two off my man everyday. Now, my pv is with me all the time and I'll go days without bumming a smoke. After meals and morning wake-up time is still the hardest for me. Sometimes that dirt stick first thing in the morning is the only thing that will get me going. I don't see those one or two every other day or so as a failure, especially since I didn't start vaping to quit cigarettes. One day, I know I'll wake up and just want to vape some Jolly Rancher Watermelon first thing, but until that day, one or two analogs is okay with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread