Seeking advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

M&R B

Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
Me and my wife are new to vaping. We've been smoke free for 2 1/2 months after 23 years of smoking over a pack a day of Americans Spirits full flavors. We've been slowly narrowing down what we like ... its been a process of elimination and money lol. Right now we're using Volt X2 900 mah batteries with the recent purchase of mini viva nova tanks with a 808 to 510 adapter. I like the 2.4 ohms with this battery till its halfway through its charge then its the 1.8, getting the warm vape with a medium throat hit as well as a fuller flavor with my juice. So we're ready to go to the next level here. I don't want to pay $20+ each for replacement batteries every 2 months. I don't want to have to change tanks to match the volts either. I'm realizing APV VV Mod is the way to go, pay a little money up front to get a premium vape and save money with batteries ect. So I'm shooting some questions at y'all on APV's and tanks.

APV Mods
Upfront, I don't want a Provari ... I repeat, don't want a Provari. To much money for us, after the options I want we're looking at close to $300 each. I was really looking at the Volcano LT but after looking through these forums I'm leery about it (volcano, apollo, l rider). The zmax was looking good though I don't like the chrome or stainless steal only finish. I was wondering on opinions on the batteries as well. I don't want to go with dual batteries, just the single. There is several different types and wondering whats the difference? I want the 18650, highest mah possible. I'm a very heavy smoker, Ill go through 6ml+ of juice easy a day, my wife is half or less of that. I definitely want a ohm reader built in cause I want to start making my own coil/wicks. I also always read from manufacturers "the voltage will stay the same no matter what the battery charge" but I seem to read differently from reviewers on most products.

Tanks/Carto tanks
I love the tanks we got, love em! I'll go with the 3.5 ml when we get the APV's. We also want to try a carto tank style tank as well as a duel coil type of tank. Any suggestions would be great. We like a warm (not hot) vape with medium throat hit (something close to the analogs I used to smoke). I don't want just a cartomizer, they seem such a pain with refilling constantly and the vape tastes better with a tank or clearo .... buts that's just my opinion.

Anyhow, any extra advise is welcome and thank you in advance! :2cool:

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
Hi M&R...I'm very far from expert on this subject - I also like to keep things as simple & carefree as possible. I've had very good luck with the joytech Twist 1000 & just took in the new engraved ego-k 1100mah passthru. I love them both & they both take a carto/tank. Both simple, reasonable price & decent battery life. Actually at this point I think I'm preferring the new ego-K to the Twist, however, time will tell. Good luck on your search & if I can answer any SIMPLE question, please don't hesitate ask.

M&R B

Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
Thanks for the response moishesmom! I actually was gonna go with the Ego Twist at first. Then I thought to myself, we're going to need 4 batteries (2 each for me and my wife) and I don't want anything lower than 1000 mah because anything lower means not a full day of vaping on 1 battery for me (Ive tried 650 mah and it didn't last), that's $100. True I could grab the other but more charge cycles means shorter battery life span. Lets say they need to be replaced every 3 months or so. That's $400 in the course of a year ... why not make the investment for an APV plus I get voltage/ohm/amp/wattage readouts, switching batteries is like doing so with a flashlight, durability, can take my volts to 5+, can get batteries at $11 or less with up to 3000 mah and 200 more life cycles. Im getting a Variable voltage 510/eGo USB passthrough tomorrow to test the VV waters at a cheaper price.

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
Thanks for the response moishesmom! I actually was gonna go with the Ego Twist at first. Then I thought to myself, we're going to need 4 batteries (2 each for me and my wife) and I don't want anything lower than 1000 mah because anything lower means not a full day of vaping on 1 battery for me (Ive tried 650 mah and it didn't last), that's $100. True I could grab the other but more charge cycles means shorter battery life span. Lets say they need to be replaced every 3 months or so. That's $400 in the course of a year ... why not make the investment for an APV plus I get voltage/ohm/amp/wattage readouts, switching batteries is like doing so with a flashlight, durability, can take my volts to 5+, can get batteries at $11 or less with up to 3000 mah and 200 more life cycles. Im getting a Variable voltage 510/eGo USB passthrough tomorrow to test the VV waters at a cheaper price.

Hello again...I know I have my Twist in my face all day & no way does it last a day. If I get 4-6 hours, & it's only set at 3.8, that's pretty good. That's also being rotated with a pass-thru or another. I must say I'd be totally lost without my pass-thru & had I've known on the start of this venture, it would have been my first choice. Joyetech does have an ego C upgrade pass-thru that's been holding up forever. That one can be set at a higher (I believe something like 4 or 4.2 or a lower mah)

My Twist 1000 has lasted me since they first came out. If it was only good for 3 months, I'd have a fit!

I just received a box mod as a gift (didn't even know how to open it) & the batteries that go into that are $14. for the two. Not exactly as inexpensive as I hoped & I believe I'm still partial to my new ego-K. Considering I did RYO for years....Welcome to the eternal money pit!

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois

Compared to what you spent per year on analogs, that is a very small amount.... I, (as many of us), have spent a small fortune on my vaping habit and i'm sure we all will spend much more down the road. There does come a point and time when it becomes more cost effective though.

You are correct in thinking of upgrading to an APV though. I wouldn't say it is necessary to go VV though. I have been vaping for almost 2 years now and just recently upgraded to a 3.7v bottom feeder that uses an 18650 battery and am very satisfied. I researched all my vaping options pretty extensively until I made my choice, and the only thing I can think of, is why did it take me so long to do it? For me, the Provari was out of the question as I am on a tight budget and financially it wasn't an option! Not to mention the thought of, was it the right APV for me right now? My dislike for carto's and tanks weighed heavily on the decision as well. I couldn't taste the juice as it always seemed too muted regardless of what brand of carto I used. Dripping was where the most satisfaction was at. I also wanted a bottom feeder but couldn't justify the REO's for the same reason. I wanted VV, but also wanted a bottom feeder so I didn't have to carry around a bottle of juice all day and we all know dripping while driving is no fun at all and the safety factor was there as well.

I did purchase a VMod XL and have enjoyed it completely. I don't have to carry an extra juice bottle anymore and I still get to taste my juice. It was a total win/win situation. I am now saving to get either the VV Grand or a Bogger VV box mod, as that seems to be the obvious upgrade for me now. The only suggestion I would make would be to do your research and read everything you can about the APV you are leaning towards.... I wish you luck in your journey....

Last thing to keep in mind is that having a readout as to what voltage, wattage, or ohms you are vaping may not be completely accurate. That seems to be the biggest debated subject on the forum at the moment....

M&R B

Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
Thanks for the response. Box mods is the only thing I haven't looked into extensively but now I want to. We spent around $350 a month on cigarettes so no matter what we're saving money. With grocery costs going up all the sudden here and having to have another vehicle though we not completely seeing the difference though lol. I love vamping, My sinuses were congested for 20 years straight believe or not ... No more. I feel much better and I feel my daughter has less of a chance of becoming a smoker. I enjoy vaping for another reason, it's like a hobby finding the right parts for your tastes. Trying something new and it's amazing. Trying new juices and experimenting mixing flavors (my favorite is 50% Bavarian cream, 20% chocolate, 15% whipped cream, 10% banana, 5% cherry). It almost reminds me of wine nuts lol but with e liquid.

I'm gonna check out those box mods and the one you mentioned. I'm picking up a USB ego connection VV device at our local Vape store. It doesn't use a battery it gets its power through a USB connection thats provides at least 2 amp power only. It's only $15 and for me to see if I like the VV enough to get a VV APV or 3.7 only APV. I have a link for it in another post titled "Another Question" that's just a few spots down from this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread