• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Shipping from USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melloh

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2011
Canada
Hey guys! I'm new and just finished my 5 post quota. Hope the Canadian are just as helpful. Anyhow just a few questions... I've emailed altsmoke a couple times and I know they're probably flooded with orders, and don't really have time to check mail constantly, but you guys have any idea if it would be possible to grab some kits from the boys south of the border? I really want to get my hands on a BB. After thorough resarch and questions on the forum, I've pretty much decided to try this stuff out. The second question is, what is the whole stance in Canada regarding PV's and vaping? I've got a friend who works there 5 days a week and her company flies her back every weekend to spend time with family. Now I asked altsmoke if it would be possible to send it to her hotel in Illinois. Not sure if this would be possible for them, and would she be hassled for bringing it across the border? I don't want to get her into trouble. I've read that it was banned in Canada, but it seems we have local suppliers here too so how can that be? Anyhow any answers to these questions would be much appreciated. Thanks guys in advance.

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
Welcome Melloh!
huggy.gif
Congratulations on making one of the best choices of your life - to quit smoking & start vaping.

OK so wow - you asked a few big questions! Let's try to answer them.

1) You mentioned you were interested in a BB from AltSmoke. Do you have an e-cig yet, or would this be your very first one?
confused.png

Same question for your friend in Illinois. Either way (since you're both newbies, but especially if you don't even have your first e-cig yet, or PV as some folks call em...personal vapourizer)...either way, I would recommend that you not get a BB at this time. Even they say that, lol: "This unit was designed mainly for more advanced Electronic Cigarette Users and is not recommended for People that are just coming in."

---

FROM THE U.S.
Another very important thing to remember as a Canadian is that you should never order anything with nicotine in it from the States unless the supplier is in the know about how to label it & get it here. Canadian customs will seize juices that are conspicuously labelled as containing nic. Too many people have seen huge orders, kits & hardware & stuff...held up at the border for ages (& sometimes never arriving at all) just because there was a little sample of 18mg e-juice in there, etc.

There are some U.S. suppliers who know the deal & will ship your order "Canuck style"...some of the other members here can help point out a few of them to you. bornagainst and Dusty_D are two good people to ask. But even then it's still a bit of a risk, takes a lot longer to arrive, shipping & USD & so forth...it's not the most convenient way to get your stuff.

We have quite a good number of Canadian suppliers here already, in several provinces. Most of them will offer the convenient Interac EMT method...their prices are in Canadian...they'll ship a lot faster to you (when I order from Happy Vaper or Evapers for example, it's here within 2 days)...and you'll never have to worry at all about your stuff being seized.
smilefinal.gif

So yeah...I recommend buying Canadian!

---

FOR YOUR FIRST PV...
Ordinarily I would recommend the automatic Joye 510 to you, from Happy Vaper (right here in the GTA). I'd also recommend using it with the 510 cartomizers from the same site, as opposed to using a separate atty. A cartomizer is basically a cartridge + atomizer all rolled into one, so it's simpler & more convenient. Each cartomizer also comes with a brand-new atomizer built in, so it's fresher as well as more affordable than separate attys.

Anyway, the 510 feels & looks just like an analog (the automatics do, anyway - automatics are activated by inhalation instead of a button) & they're really very nice. The 510s, eGos & Mega eGo's that Jack carries are all quality, genuine Joye products - and Joye as you'll learn is one of the top names in the vaping world. Here's a photo of my very first 510 from Jack (and a 510 cartomizer):

IMG_5573a.jpg

Downside with the 510 is that battery life is only about 2 hours. Upside is that it only takes 1 hour to recharge. If you have 2, you can use one while the other's going.

But - it seems like you're looking for more power than that & longer battery life. Therefore, I recommend the automatic Joye Mega eGo (also from Happy Vaper), & that you use it with 510 cartomizers. It's a 900 mAh battery, 3.7 volts...& it'll last you easily for 8 hours of heavy vaping (and if you go a bit more moderately, up to 12 hours).

For now, this is the largest, strongest & most powerful battery I would recommend to a brand-new vaper. What I mean is I would advise against anything above this to a newbie. Check out this post I made the other day (someone was asking for ideas on what to upgrade to after the 510). It's post #14, link below. Should help you out a bit.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/canada-forum/151439-what-comes-after-510-a-2.html

---

2) Now are to what the 'ban' in Canada exactly entails...I'll try to explain. It is certainly legal for someone here in Canada to own an e-cig, and e-juice, etc - and to vape with it. That much is definitely legal. The ban has a lot more to do with marketability & suppliers.

On a practical level, both e-cigs & e-juice are readily available via online purchase from many reputable Canadian suppliers. But officially, Health Canada says that those suppliers are forbidden to do that - forbidden to sell or advertise e-cigs and/or e-juice, even online...because Health Canada to date refuses to grant "market authorization" for these products.

Because of Health Canada's ban, e-cigs & e-juice are not found in brick & mortar shops. They are not advertised in magazines, newspapers or television. They remain inconspicuous & largely unknown to the general Canadian public. In essence, the ban keeps most Canadian smokers to this day from knowing that vaping even exists at all. It keeps them buying deadly tobacco, or ineffective NRT. Most of us stumbled across it online, almost by accident (& are eternally grateful to have done so!).

However - the ban is also a big part of why we vapers are by & large left alone (at least, unofficially). Keeping the topic as quiet as possible serves the purpose of those who oppose vaping. The last thing they want to see is the public learning about this, or increased media scrutiny, or any of that. Because the facts reveal that vaping is infinitely safer than smoking deadly tobacco.

Nicotine is scientifically known to be no more harmful than caffeine. Canadians already have the legal right to use nicotine in proven-deadly tobacco, as well as in 90 to 95% ineffective NRT. It is inconceivable that the exact same nicotine, at comparable levels, should be outlawed from use in a safe, clean vapour.

So it's a tradeoff, for both sides. They get to keep most smokers unaware of vaping's existence, allowing them to milk the sale of deadly tobacco & ineffective NRT for that much longer...and we get to vape in relative peace & spread the good word, one person at a time.

But generally the only real concerns for you as a consumer are if you try to order e-juice w/nic from the States. I recommend just never doing that, problem solved.
:laugh:

For suppliers, it's more of a risk - which is why we should give them all big hugs & thank them for continuing to provide us with their wonderful, essential service.
huggy.gif
Most of our Canadian suppliers (if not all) are small businesses, operated from home offices & basements & the like - usually only a few people at most. These folks don't have warehouses full of product, or millions of dollars to throw around. They deserve our support (especially folks like Jack at Happy Vaper, who have earned it over & over!). Speaking of Jack...you might notice that he carries everything except nic. This is because he wants to make sure that Happy Vaper will always be there to provide quality vaping hardware to the community, from within Canada. Health Canada is more likely to give grief to a site that sells both e-juice with nic + e-cigs, rather than one or the other.

There are many other suppliers here in Canada that have premixed e-juice with nic...as well as flavourless PG/flavourless VG with nic for DIY-ing juices. Here are some of 'em:

- Vapors Kitchen (vaporskitchen.com - in Kitchener, ONT - probably has the largest flavour selection in Canada for premixed)

- Nic Fit Nation (nicfitnation.com - in BC - a bit pricey, but well-known. Tends to create tobacco and/or menthol flavour-mixes in many of their juices)

- Evapers (evapers.com - in Peterborough, ONT - can only speak for their flavourless, but friendly, wonderful folks with consistent, great product)

- Epuff (epuff.ca - in Quebec - they have a lot of good reviews)

- Northern Vapor (northernvapor.ca - in the GTA)

- Electro Vapors (electro-vapors.com - in Alberta - really nice folks with some unique hardware & juices)

- Electronic Cigz (electronic-cigz.com - in Guelph, ONT - no longer has e-juice w/nic, but has some fairly advanced hardware - mods & such - that other Canadian suppliers don't have)

---

ILLINOIS TO CANADA, & BACK AGAIN
In the case of your friend who commutes regularly between Canada & the States, she's flying. So she shouldn't have any problems if she follows the tips in this excellent, very helpful 15-minute video from ECF's own BasilRay:

VapeTV | Basilray's Tips and Tricks for Travel

---

Hope some of this info helps! Remember, you have lots of suppliers right here at home for e-cigs & e-juice & DIY juice supplies. It just makes sense to choose the convenience, speed & peace of mind you'll get from shopping locally!

Above all, we hope you'll feel at home here in the Canada sub-forum at ECF, Melloh. We're a pretty friendly bunch - we like to have fun & try to be helpful. By all means...please don't ever hesitate to ask questions or share.

Talk soon, & happy vaping!
huggy.gif

Melloh

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2011
Canada
Wow guys, sooo informative. Good stuff. Props to the Canadian forum!!! I won't forget switched for adding in his 2cts in either. He's all over the place and seems to be a great supporter of vaping.
I know I should kick it off with an ego, but I'm a bit weird. I don't like the look of it lol. I like the black clean long lasting so I can vape all day kind of look if you know what I mean. The BB is a clean minimalist looking unit that does the job at 3.7v or slap in 2 cr2s for a not so recomended 6v. I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'm a very addictive type and so I'm trying to future proof myself by purchasing this item. I just know what I like. So more than likely I'm still gonna push for this device cause I like the looks and it'll serve my purpose without a whole lot of bling. I'll check out the links after this to see how to get it across the border without my friend being harassed. Thanks again everybody maybe I'll catch a few of you at the meetup eh?

bornagainst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
Toronto, Canada
www.villagermt.com
Melloh, if I can interject, I own many mods, and many ecigs. I own both a BB and an EGO among other models.

If I can be very frank, the EGO outperforms the BB, except not being able to do the proverbial 6v. I was late on the draw purchasing an EGO, but after I did, my other mods seemed less and less important.

My BB just sits on the shelf collecting dust at this point.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck, and not to worry, you'll get there. Every day with this can be an adventure.

:)

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
Fair enough, Melloh - though if you want the BB for yourself, I second what Jimilives said. Get it from a Canadian supplier, Electronic Cigz:

Electronic Cigz - The BB

Since it has a 510 threading, I still recommend the standard 510 cartomizers with it from Jack at Happy Vaper. Should be great at 3.7 volts. Happy vaping & again, welcome!

EDIT: Oops, hi born - didn't see your post until I'd posted.
Melloh, if I can interject, I own many mods, and many ecigs. I own both a BB and an EGO among other models.

If I can be very frank, the EGO outperforms the BB, except not being able to do the proverbial 6v. I was late on the draw purchasing an EGO, but after I did, my other mods seemed less and less important.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck, and not to worry, you'll get there. Every day with this can be an adventure.

I agree with bornagainst, Melloh!
smilefinal.gif
huggy.gif

Last edited:

lickwid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2010
Milton, Ontario

Yea, this is true, it's pretty easy to toss an ego in your pocket and be good to go, but a BB is pretty huge, and it would be easy to go back to just carrying smokes instead. Also 6v is way too high to be useful for almost anything.

I've got a few mods, but like born said, I still mainly use the mega ego, 'cept I have a 5v box mod in my car with a carto for when my atty runs dry.

Only thing I would change about what Rachel wrote, is that I wouldn't get an automatic battery, as you'll be stuck to Carts and Cartos, if you want to drip an automatic battery is pretty sketchy as there is a hole going into the battery, and as everyone does (especially when you're new) you'll over drip, and if it goes down there, it's new battery time. The manual however has no hole, so drip 25 drops into it and dispute being really messy, your battery will still be fine

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
Excellent, Melloh! By all means, get your Mega eGo from Jack, $30 and you're in business. He doesn't have a Mega eGo kit, unfortunately. Only regular eGo kits (650 mAh). But you don't really need a starter kit, it's really just fancier packaging & a few carts & a little bag, for roughly the same price as buying two batts & the charger, etc.

He has a nice colour selection for manuals (silver & black only for automatics) & his eGo's are genuine. No knockoffs. Also if you choose Expedited shipping, it should arrive super fast (if you're in Ontario...2 business days. Where are you, anyway?)

You'll need the eGo Fast USB Charger for it (510 USB charger isn't compatible) - it's $10 - as well as the Wall Plug Adapter (eGos & Mega eGos shouldn't be charged through a computer, unlike 510's) - it's $6:

Happy Vaper - Mega eGo Batts
Happy Vaper - Happy eGo Fast USB Charger
Happy Vaper - USB Wall Plug Adapter

Don't worry about getting the optional cone either. I don't use the cone with my Mega eGo because it acted like a silencer, & also really tightened the draw for some reason - had to suck like crazy to get anything with it on. With the cone removed, the draw returned to a happy normality.

You might want to also get a 5-pak of the 510 cartomizers while you're at it...so you can see what they're like. I've vaped with nothing else since I began (nearly 6 months now)...never owned a separate atty...and all I can say is I love 'em.

Anyway...congrats on making a great choice with the Mega eGo, it truly is an awesome PV. Let us know how it goes...and happy vaping!

huggy.gif

kanadiankat

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
Alberta, Canada
www.electrovapors.com
Nicotine is scientifically known to be no more harmful than caffeine. Canadians already have the legal right to use nicotine in proven-deadly tobacco, as well as in 90 to 95% ineffective NRT. It is inconceivable that the exact same nicotine, at comparable levels, should be outlawed from use in a safe, clean vapour
huggy.gif

Hey Rachel - great info - quick correction though - Canadian law very clearly favors eliquid suppliers, so long as they don't carry any liquid that would be more than 4mg a dose (which is like - crazy high). hc's "ban" is an internal policy. They are using legislative authority to create the current situation - rather than Canadian law.

The one positive thing on this - it leaves the door wide open for Canadians to push from a political angle (via MP's) and force customs to favor the law over hc's policies. (hope that makes sense...)

Nicotine is considered a "schedule F drug (controlled substance)" - with the following exceptions:
(a) in natural substances;
(b) in the form of a chewing gum containing 4 mg or less of nicotine per dosage unit;
(c) in the form of a transdermal patch with a delivery rate of 22 mg or less of nicotine per day;
(d) in a form to be administered orally by means of an inhalation device delivering 4 mg or less of nicotine per dosage unit; or
(e) in the form of a lozenge containing 4 mg or less of nicotine per dosage unit

As far as I know there is not a vendor in Canada whose liquids would breach any of the above regulations.

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
Logically I would have to say one complete lungfull (one maximum inhale), could easily be considered as a "single" dose application, and to state otherwise would be no more than simple subjective speculation which would require a scientific study including clinical trials to prove any different.

Perhaps the tables of "burden of proof" have turned, and now HC would be required to fork out the fortunes needed to actually perform such a study to counter "any" dosage claim against what could be made by manufacturers.

bornagainst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
Toronto, Canada
www.villagermt.com
Melloh, we sure aren't.

Great e-liquid can be found from within Canada up to 24 mg usually, and if you are so inclined, you can order from certain vendors from the US who are experienced in shipping to us up North.

It's not as huge of deal as people make it out to be, believe me. Out of countless (well over 100 parcels), I have only had one held up early in my vaping life due to bad packaging.

I remember when I first started, I was stressed to high hell before I got my first kit, then when I got connected, I realized that it's WHAT you know that really does the trick.

You'll do great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread