Status
Not open for further replies.

RuiG

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 4, 2019
Portugal
Hello everyone.

What cares do people take for storage of atomizers?

I don't usually leave an atomizer too long without usage, but collection is getting bigger and some will be "resting" more than usual.

My question goes to everyone and especially for people buying stuff preparing for the incoming bans.

Is it better to add some vg to keep rust away? Leave them clean and that's it? Remove o-rings to avoid the normal fusing and dryness that comes with age?

Any differences in cares between the lengh of storage intended?

Thank you for all the tips.

Last edited:

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
Hello everyone.

What cares do people take for storage of atomizers.

I don't usually leave an atomizer too long without usage, but collection is getting bigger and some will be "resting" more than usual.

My question goes to everyone and especially for people buying stuff preparing for the incoming bans.

Is it better to add some vg to keep rust away? Leave them clean and that's it? Remove o-rings to avoid the normal fusing and dryness that comes with age?

Any differences in cares between the lengh of storage intended?

Thank you for all the tips.
Ive disassembled any unused rtas and rda's and removed the o rings and stored them in the box's they came in.
I dont know if thats right or wrong.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I think you're on the right track. However, I wonder if VG has a small % of water in it? If so then it may not be good. SS does rust.

I can tell you from experience that at the very least you should not tighten the tanks up. Leave all threads loosened up. If you don't, the seals can stick to the glass and metal. They threads can also become really hard to unscrew if left for a while unused.

Ultimately, would probably be best to leave them completely disassembled.

Many tanks I have bought are shipped with a small desiccant pouch in the package. Something to think about. Those are usually cheap in the USA, not sure in other parts of the world.

Wolfmeat

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 16, 2014
    Central WI
    I recently, what I'll call 'renewed' three Kayfun Lite Plus tanks that had been sitting unused for 5 years. One of them still had a coil in it. The other two had been ultrasonically cleaned and reassembled. I disassembled all of them and cleaned them. The only problem I had was the threaded ultem tank section gave me a really hard time on one of them. But that happens with these tanks even when they don't sit. (Note that the 2019 Kayfun Lite does not have a threaded tank section.)

Out of all three tanks I've only replaced one o-ring. All of the tanks are in perfect shape. I rebuilt one just to try it out for old times. I even mounted it on a GP Paps with an 18500 and an Evolv Kick 2 just to reminisce.

I don't think that high quality atomizers will have any problem with simply being cleaned well, assembled gently and stored. Some of the Chinese stuff may have inferior material for the o-rings that might be a concern.

You can also use petroleum jelly to lube the o-rings. Take them off of the atomizer and give them a good rubbing. Then reassemble. It's like applying conditioner. It seems to prevent them from drying out.

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    I found one recently that I left juice it. Needless to say it was brown thick and gross. Probably sat for year and a half to 2’years. I gave it a soak in my favorite vape gear cleaner, Everclear. It cleaned it up well and even the o-rings seemed to do their job. I filled it with water to see if they still held and they did. Anyway that can help for ones not stored properly and I just clean them (with Everclear) and assemble them and return to their box for storage. Hopefully that works but worst case is the orings go bad and they could be replaced for minimal ¢. That’s my two cents on the matter

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I found one recently that I left juice it. Needless to say it was brown thick and gross. Probably sat for year and a half to 2’years. I gave it a soak in my favorite vape gear cleaner, Everclear.
    It works great but it's very expensive... inexpensive 100 proof vodka works well too.

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    Yeah I suppose that's fair. I wonder if you can get rubber floors? or trampoline ones? I'm pretty adept at CATCHING stuff actually, I'd love if the vape just bounced back into my hand?

Anna
    Just make sure you raise the ceiling also, that could be bad for your head and neck. Also if you do go through with trampoline floors, can I come over to play?

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    At best I might get a trampoline ROOM outta the husband but EVERYONE can come over to play. We might be on walkers when it happens, but like STILL what could go WRONG. LOL.

You can walk on a trampoline easy peasy and you can jump on one and you can (somewhat inadvisably) hold the "climax" or can you say END to like a child's birthday party having a water balloon fight on one.

That last one is kind of tiring but the whole like "cover them SPRINGS" and "Have a cage to stop them falling off!" thing was all a bit hazy back then, I'm just lucky no one got hurt because silly string was also involved and we all know that can drive GROWN ADULTS mad, frankly.

I held it 2 days before like, school STARTED. IDK. I'm surprised so many kids came. It was a Catholic school the kiddos went to, and I don't think their mommies quite knew what the kids were in for.

NEVER have I caught so much cheating in my life I could be a NFL umpire. 7 year old Catholic boys. I started grounding them and like tying them to trees. They SO deserved it. Good times.

SO YES!!! MOST YES!!
    Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I've never noticed rusting on a Stainless Steel atomizer. I wash them out in the sink, replace 0-rings, and rewick with a new coil. Some of my attys are clones and there's been no rusting on them, either. I've pulled old ones out of my cabinet stash and put them back in use and I've had no rust spots, even on threads where you would expect it to happen first.

Last edited:

ORILIYAT

Moved On
    Nov 21, 2019
    • Deleted by classwife
    • Reason: Hidden spam
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread