Should doctors recommend e-cigarettes to help smokers quit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
"Smokers are asking their doctors for advice on e-cigarette use, they want to vape, and e-cigarettes can help smokers quit, argues Paul Aveyard, Professor of Behavioural Medicine at University of Oxford, and Deborah Arnott, Chief Executive of Action on Smoking & Health."

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-04-doctors-e-cigarettes-smokers.html

A mixed position.....

My doctor recommended it here in the US.. I had tried everything else without success and upon her recommendation went ahead and gave ecigarettes a try.

Yes, some doctors won't like it, especially if they listen to the government and BT, there will always be idiots out there who don't take the time to do their own research...

But many will - and they should. Vaping is a serious improvement to patients health over continuing smoking - and that should be looked at first and foremost.

Those who can eventually put it down are those who will find the most improvement, but even for those who need to continue there is no price tag that can be put on the improvements to peoples health..

Whether or not its a gateway to smoking - of which there is absolutely no evidence of - is a completely different discussion.

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi
As long it is taken on a case by case base and doesn't become a blanket for lazy doctors tt would be a good thing. After reading various threads I'm for leaving vaping classified as a tobacco product.
I'll agree that it should be taken on a case by case basis, but not with the idea that vaping should be considered "Tobacco Products"
FDAs "Deeming Regulations" have always and only been about establishing the precedents to allow vaping to be subject to the same kind of "Sin Taxes" as cigarettes.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I'll agree that it should be taken on a case by case basis, but not with the idea that vaping should be considered "Tobacco Products"
FDAs "Deeming Regulations" have always and only been about establishing the precedents to allow vaping to be subject to the same kind of "Sin Taxes" as cigarettes.
Better than BP and your doctor deciding what your nic level should be and how you can you vape it. Do you really want to have to get a script for your vape? The black market would explode and BT & BP both win. Would rather pay the tax.

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi
Better than BP and your doctor deciding what your nic level should be and how you can you vape it. Do you really want to have to get a script for your vape? The black market would explode and BT & BP both win. Would rather pay the tax.
I'd like to avoid all of them, but that's not going to be a possibility
Thanks to Congress, we're stuck with them, but the FDA was exactly the WRONG agency to handle vaping with the nuance it needs (with the possibible exception of the approval of juice ingredients)
Far saner (and less influenced by competing industry lobbyists) regulations could have been developed by giving the responsibility to the Consumer Product Safety Commission on the hardware side, and the USDA on the juice manufacturing side.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I'd like to avoid all of them, but that's not going to be a possibility
Thanks to Congress, we're stuck with them, but the FDA was exactly the WRONG agency to handle vaping with the nuance it needs (with the possibible exception of the approval of juice ingredients)
Far saner (and less influenced by competing industry lobbyists) regulations could have been developed by giving the responsibility to the Consumer Product Safety Commission on the hardware side, and the USDA on the juice manufacturing side.
I completely agree and maybe in a decade that will happen with gear. As long as we use nicotine the juices won't move.

Doctorvapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2017
My endocrinologist and psychiatrist both recommended that I vape. My psychiatrist said it would add 20 years to my life because it doesn't have the harmful stuff cigarettes do. My endocrinologist said I needed a hand to mouth replacement and suggested vaping he even went on about cloud competitions, for what reason.. I don't know.

I think the attitude is changing.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
My endocrinologist and psychiatrist both recommended that I vape. My psychiatrist said it would add 20 years to my life because it doesn't have the harmful stuff cigarettes do. My endocrinologist said I needed a hand to mouth replacement and suggested vaping he even went on about cloud competitions, for what reason.. I don't know.

I think the attitude is changing.

My GI Dr is a lot more open to nicotine than my GI CNS was. I got mine and insurance would buy it. Nic level wouldn't necessarily be dictated. I take many pills as needed. I'm told how many I can take in 24hrs.

I don't think it has to be tobacco or medical. Nicotine is not tobacco and quitting smoking with hard candy was never required to be medicinal before. They really need to come up with a new category, such as THR.

The attack on vaping is all about a disruptive product that is disrupting the flow of money to the status quo.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I have several doctors as customers and my oldest stepson's wife is a doctor. I ask them all to please consider that while e-cigarettes are not without some implied risk, they are inherently safer than smoking. I am an advocate for harm reduction through vaping. Many doctors agree with my position.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I have several doctors as customers and my oldest stepson's wife is a doctor. I ask them all to please consider that while e-cigarettes are not without some implied risk, they are inherently safer than smoking. I am an advocate for harm reduction through vaping. Many doctors agree with my position.

I've had ER nurses curious. Dr's haven't really said anything. It's the not quite Dr advanced nurses I've had problems with.
And the dental nurse about dry socket. I tried to tell her there was no resistance puffing what I use. She's aware of vaping, some of the people there vape.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I switched to vaping without talking to primary care doctor first. Told him about 6 months later. He liked it. He said several of his patients had switched and he had looked into vaping for info. He said as far as he could find out it was a lot safer than smoking and that it was showing in the improvement of breathing in some of his patients. He also said he didn't consider nicotine a big deal just the smoke and tar in cigs. He of course said better to do neither but stick with vaping if you must do one or the other. He did ask how much Nicotine, I told him and he didn't complain about it. At that time I was doing 3mg Nic about 15 ML day.

The Primary care doctor sent me to get a sonogram of the heart and referred to a Cardiologist as he said I had a murmur. It turned out to be nothing. I did speak to the Cardiologist about vaping and he basically said don't smoke and nicotine probably not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread