The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Silver Solder?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by MarkRNY, Oct 16, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. MarkRNY

MarkRNY Full Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Rockland County, NY
  2. ppeeble

ppeeble Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Poole UK
    Must remember not to dis-assemble my mod and lick the innards. Thanks for the heads-up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Bunnykiller

Bunnykiller ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    sheesh... whats next?
    Silver solder melts at approx 850 F, imagine how nasty the juice would be at that temp.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Katya

Katya ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ScottP

ScottP Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Unless they are using the solder for the coil, there shouldn't be any way for the solder to end up in the vapor.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Mordacai

Mordacai Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    That's Bulldor, what next are they going to say? Don't even try to answer as it's a rhetorical question.

Silver solder is usually used in the production of audio equipment and is also used because of its higher conductivity in other environments. And in a vape mod it would be way, way away from the coil and as @Bunnykiller has mentioned nowhere near a temperature that would cause any issues.

7. barkfunklerbunk

barkfunklerbunk Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    I've been using lead solder wire for my coils, have I been doing this wrong the whole time? Should I be using silver instead?

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. CMD-Ky

CMD-Ky Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Well, I believe any "study" from a lab so I am going to join you in using lead solder with lead culled the from water in Flint, MI.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Tinker Ray

Tinker Ray Senior Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    Silver solder is sometimes referred to as "dairy solder" because of its use in milk and food handling equipment. Not only is it lead free, it's stronger than electrical solder. There are different alloys used, some of which melt at lower temperatures.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Part of the problem is that “silver solder” is not one thing. Solder is a metal alloy designed to melt at for what is for metals a very low temperature. A metal is called “silver solder” or “lead solder” in theory depending on what the primary base metal is. The actual contents of a given make/model of solder vary quite widely though and are often proprietary.

Lead used to be a common component of many solders but it was made illegal to use in the US because lead is toxic. The most common replacement for lead in solder constituents was silver. This “lead free” solder is often referred to as “silver solder”. A solder called “silver solder” does not have to actually be “lead free” though, it merely has to have more silver in it than lead.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Mordacai

Mordacai Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    • Like Like x 1
  12. homeuser6

homeuser6 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 7, 2013
    brightwood,or.,usa
    my hair and teeth are falling out. is this because i've been extruding my own wire out of cerro-safe ?
    (i prefer a cooler vape)

13. MarkRNY

MarkRNY Full Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Rockland County, NY
    Thanks for the replies. Seems to me that this is another attempt to keep the frenzy alive and away from Big Weed. They're losing the scientific/fact based argument so they have to rely more and more on hysterical theories and social stigmatizing. This new meme proves it, imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.