Status
Not open for further replies.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
That may be a viable technique, wire wrap style tool. I'll have to think on it a bit. As far as why I don't want extremely close and tight wraps goes, I don't do rba at all, I rebuild bottom coil and top coil devices, a whole different animal where spacing becomes critical to fill the atomizer chamber.

That may be a viable technique, wire wrap style tool. I'll have to think on it a bit. As far as why I don't want extremely close and tight wraps goes, I don't do rba at all, I rebuild bottom coil and top coil devices, a whole different animal where spacing becomes critical to fill the atomizer chamber.

Ah ... understandable. I do some micro coil rebuilds on a Kangertech Pro 2 and and IGO W. Having a tool would help out if you wanted to turn out a bunch of them and store them away to have on hand though.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Yeah, it gets to be a pain in the .... holding wraps "just so" then re-arranging the coil afterwards so it fits properly. I'm a little older and not as steady as I used to be and need to work with a loupe when I'm winding and welding, so a tool to make wrapping easier would be a really handy thing.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Point taken awsum with regards to R/NR wire. I was thinking of making something out of SS tubing. You'd have to experiment but if you had something with an ID that fit over, say a 20g needle or a micro screwdriver and drilled a hole in one end or cut a dog-leg notch, you could feed the wire down the tube alongside the needle/driver and twist the tube. anyway - worth a thought and fiddle :D

See my hypo pictures.
A little notch cut in the clamp grabs a leg, then you roll the needle.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Myk, where are the pictures? Again, though, with a wick and the needle, rolling it may prove pretty problematic. The thing that bothers me is how far away from the wick/stabilizer the "hook" needs to be to achieve the desired tightness of wrap. Some experimentation is in order. Maybe I can rig a way for the hook to be on a 2-56 screw so it's adjustable for various wire sizes. I typically use 32, 33 and 34 which makes it hard for a "one size fits all" setup.

Yeah, it gets to be a pain in the .... holding wraps "just so" then re-arranging the coil afterwards so it fits properly. I'm a little older and not as steady as I used to be and need to work with a loupe when I'm winding and welding, so a tool to make wrapping easier would be a really handy thing.

I don't do too bad for 50+ ;-) but I tie flys so my fingers are used to the small stuff. It's the -eyes- that make me cranky. I've got to use my 5x fly tying glasses for some coils. Anyway, if I come up with something I'll post it up.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Myk, where are the pictures? Again, though, with a wick and the needle, rolling it may prove pretty problematic. The thing that bothers me is how far away from the wick/stabilizer the "hook" needs to be to achieve the desired tightness of wrap. Some experimentation is in order. Maybe I can rig a way for the hook to be on a 2-56 screw so it's adjustable for various wire sizes. I typically use 32, 33 and 34 which makes it hard for a "one size fits all" setup.

Scroll up

Hypo needle with a tiny slot cut in it. The second picture shows a coil on it.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...way-make-coil-wrapping-tool.html#post11089506

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Thanks for the links and I forgot you started the thread, LOL. I guess I'm being dense or something. Wrapping with the turns tight to a form are not what I need to do. That technique may be fine for RBAs, but not with a small, bottom coil or top coil, device where the coil is actually wrapped directly onto the wick. Threading the wick through a pre-wrapped coil introduces a whole other step I don't want to bother with, so my quest to kludge together a "better way" for my own, specific, needs. I can easily wrap on a solid form, it's a soft, pliable, form that makes it much more challenging both in terms of keeping it all stable and getting a properly wrapped coil that doesn't need to be tweaked much if at all.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Thanks for the links and I forgot you started the thread, LOL. I guess I'm being dense or something. Wrapping with the turns tight to a form are not what I need to do. That technique may be fine for RBAs, but not with a small, bottom coil or top coil, device where the coil is actually wrapped directly onto the wick. Threading the wick through a pre-wrapped coil introduces a whole other step I don't want to bother with, so my quest to kludge together a "better way" for my own, specific, needs. I can easily wrap on a solid form, it's a soft, pliable, form that makes it much more challenging both in terms of keeping it all stable and getting a properly wrapped coil that doesn't need to be tweaked much if at all.

That's what I used for my Protank and Vivi Nova. Wrap and then wick. Best way I've found.

Actually RBA's work better wrapping on the wick.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Well if you're screwed with snall screws - have a look here :

Shop Lag Screws - Miniature Screws For Wood & More at Micro Mark

Got some from another supplier here in Europe - screws small enough that sneezing is not a good idea when they're lying around unpacked.

But for the fine-motorically challenged ( or lazy folk like meself ), next order I'll try these:

$6.80 Replacement Wicks and Wires for Rebuildable Atomizer (50-Pack) 50-pack - 2.0ohm / w/plastic case at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

If anyone has tried them already, please do tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread