Since it's Father's Day, this makes sense. My dad is struggling with vaping, advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nancybout

ECF Veteran
Everyone's unique that's sooo TRUE to the T!
I kept digging in my purse for a lighter and cigs when I had an ego than an MVP when I first started lol
Took me around 2-3 weeks maybe more to stop going to my purse for cigarettes!
Now I stopped and I was 39!
Imagine 65! U smoked THAT LONG!
It's hard muscle memory is what it is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
If someone handed me what I am using now I wouldn't be able to say I am no longer a smoker. I started with a tiny automatic battery and progressed at my own pace.

You are a very good son and I know you want to help your dad but give him the space to do this at his pace and you may be surprised at his progress. Answer his questions but don't push. what works for you may someday work for him but it has to be his choice just as it was yours for yourself.

Utsuru

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2013
Arkansas, USA
Number one, coming from a 62 year old (me), don't ride him. It sounds more like it's your frustration than his. At 64, how can you think of smokin' a waffle, or get your head wrapped around inhaling a cup of Joe. Seriously...get him some tobacco flavored stuff. Also, another suggestion is get a mod and tank that resembles a cig as close as possible, it will feel more natural in his hand. I'm thinking maybe an Ego with a CE5 on top. If it takes two hands to handle that whopper it too big... Explain to him, as you have, but with a bit of patients, he doesn't have to blow clouds (that's a note to you too). Just tell him again to "smoke the thing". "Push the button and take a drag, Dad". On another note, I kinda feel as though you think 64 is old, maybe toooooo old to understand things. Got news for you youngin' as long as we have our health and mind, we can still do more than just sit on the front porch.

Just saw one of your posts on another thread, and I see you got Dad into a 45ml tank. Too big for a starter in my opinion. I've been vaping for over 6 months and still use a mini. I just find the bigger stuff too big. Started with an Ego with a CE4 and went to Aspire CE5 (better wicking) then to a iStick with a Mini Nautilus.

Thanks for the input. I printed out the full menu at our Local B&M and he checked off several flavors he wanted to try. The two he was most interested in were the banana and waffles and the vanilla latte, those were the ones he picked out. He himself has said he doesn't like the taste of cigarettes, he's just addicted. I also let him pick out the devices he wanted, he picked two eGo style, stick batteries, they're not too large. They are quite small, him using two hands wasn't because they were big, but I guess awkward to use. He's since gotten more comfortable and holds it with one hand, most of the time. I also showed him how he can just puff on it like a pipe or cigar, and he can take little inhales if he wishes, or he can "smoke" it like a cigarette if he wants to do that too. He knows he doesn't have to blow clouds, and I also know I do not have to blow clouds, I've been sub-ohming for just a few days and found it to be very satisfying and enjoyable. I also never said anything along the lines of 64 being too old to understand things, he still works at 64 and is sharp with regards to certain things. He's a handyman around-the-house-genius, just not so much with technology. He has never used a computer and has no desire to use one, if that gives you any idea. Also, I'm guessing you mean a 4.5ml tank? He wanted a bigger tank that he wouldn't have to refill often to accompany his smaller one.

I've let him try my Nautilus Mini and he likes it too, I may pick up one of those and an MVP 20w or something similar so he can have a backup to his other two devices and something with maybe a little more vapor, I think he would enjoy it. Thanks for chiming in.

dont try to get him off of ciggies at your rate... let him do it on his schedule.... some people require more time to make the transition. As far as "handling" the vape tools, let him experiment till he finds the right technique for his self. He does seem willing to make the transition... and also remind him vaping is not like smoking... its just another method of nic delivery that is kinda sorts like smoking because you inhale it... be patient :)

I appreciate the input, duly noted! :)

Hey, I'm 64 too, and while I was reading your original post the thought going through my mind was GIMME A BREAK KID. You explained how to do it properly a few dozen times?

Change and learning new stuff does get a bit harder as you get older. As a fellow old geezer I'm guessing that what's appealing to your father might be that it's something he can do with you as much as it's about quitting smoking. Like a common interest. Use that. Encourage him to keep trying and ask him questions. Make it a fun activity you can do together rather than a training course. He'll ask for help when he wants that. Ya know.

Good luck.

Thanks I appreciate the encouragement and your opinion, I'll remain patient and try to make it more fun, I think once he understands a bit more how these things work he'll be more curious and maybe enjoy it more.

Another (almost) sixty year old dude checking in...

I agree with several of my peers here that you need to let him do this at HIS pace and not yours. I quit a 45 year addiction with vaping but like Frankie said..I did it my way.

I started with ego type junk and moved on over a period of about a year to Mechs and RTAs. I'm in my happy place now--I DIY my own juice, roll my own coils and it's all good.

Yeah I'm letting him do it at his own pace while trying to help him along as best I can without being too "intrusive" while still nudging him in the right direction. He's finally starting to puff on it a lot better since yesterday when we worked on it for a bit. Now that he knows he can puff like a cigar and then inhale a bit it's making a lot more sense to him.

As another of the older group, if he wants to quit cigs with vaping, let him go at it his way rather then forcing your way on him. I may have missed it, but I saw nothing about him choosing what flavor to vape, just what you believe to be great. If so, take him to a vape shop and let him find what he likes. Even make it a monthly or so Dad/son time.

Let's face it, we "older folk" can become a bit obstinate to you "young'uns", as well as dealing with difficulties performing the same tasks now that used to be simple at one time. Be patient with him, let him do his thing, and be there when he needs/asks for advice. For some, asking for advice seems like an admittance that we are struggling with something simplistic that most don't.

Well, think the "younguns" who were helping me in my first shop visit were scared out of their minds when I tootled my first toot and about laid out on the floor! Ha! Think several of them had their fingers hovering above the 911 buttons. Several more attempts weren't quite so dramatic, but my face did turn beet red and hubby was looking anxiously at the exit. BUT, by the time I left I had learned the long, slow and gentle method.

Wound up with six different juices I had sampled at the shop that I could somewhat taste, and my device of choice was the MVP 1 with the ProTank 1 mini. The MVP for length of battery time and I could hook up to an outlet and charge while vaping the thing. Was a chain smoker and somehow thought I wasn't quitting the smokes.

22 months later this 70 yr old grandmother who learned much that I know about vaping here and watching "how to" videos is free of a 53 yr smoking habit. Still using the MVP's, Cool Fire IV, ProVari's, iSticks, VaporShark, and recently the Kanger Kbox Mini with the Subtank. I am having a ball and try to visit all the new B&M stores to sample their juice wares and get to know them. Usually find at least one juice to bring home. My tastes have changed quite a bit over the past months; and don't forget, as people age so do their taste buds too.

Be patient with your dad, Utsuru. Give him some space and let him explore. You've done such a good thing in getting him started and you'll always be there to help and support. Kudos for your care and concern. Now give him this place to read and find him some more shops to visit......on his own. Nothing like getting the "juices flowing" like being "on the hunt"! LOL :)

Thank you so much for the kind words and sharing your story. He was too nervous to sample the juices despite my reassurance, he's very shy. The first time we went to the store he tested some menthol flavors and picked them out but there weren't many people in there. This past time it was busy inside and it can be sort of intimidating I guess, but there are people his age that come in there and he's seen that, he's just a bit timid but he'll open up. It'll just take time but I think he'll soon see the light. :)

If someone handed me what I am using now I wouldn't be able to say I am no longer a smoker. I started with a tiny automatic battery and progressed at my own pace.

You are a very good son and I know you want to help your dad but give him the space to do this at his pace and you may be surprised at his progress. Answer his questions but don't push. what works for you may someday work for him but it has to be his choice just as it was yours for yourself.

Thanks I appreciate it. He won't really ask questions that's the thing, so I'm trying to help him along as easy as I can without forcing anything on him. I'll continue to be patient and he'll figure it out soon I just know it.

I appreciate everyone chiming in, I know there's hope! :banana:

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Sounds like it is progressing much better then I assumed when I made my post. Great! And some of the similarities in what you describe I can certainly relate to. Dealing with essential tremors, I didn't want to have to push a button every time I needed a drag. And the bigger tanks for less frequent fillings. Being an old fart walking into a "young people's world". I can only hope you/he finds a vape shop with people of all ages that makes you as welcome as the one I found. I've made my journey on my own. How great to have somebody to walk that path with. Best of luck to both of you and happy :vapor:!

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Stop telling the old guy how to smoke!:D

I smoked for 30 years; when I discovered disposable cigalikes back in 2013 that's what I started with.
I wasn't interested in any big fat thing and especially having to press a button to get it to work.

Once I got used to that it was as if I'd merely switched brands.
After that it was all about cost / longer battery life etc.

Upgrading to ego sized battery gave longer battery life; the tradeoff was I'd have to press a button, but on the other hand the thing wouldn't get unintentionally activated by the wind.

I figure once you've got him started and he knows where the b&m is, he'll figure his own way around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread