Single battery mech build

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregkoutsikos

Oct 4, 2017
Hello,i am new to mechs,and i got a coilart mech tricker kif from a friend..I use a sony vtc5 and i want to use it with a dual coil setup..I tried staple and framed staple n80,but the ramp up time was extremely slow and it seemed like it needed more power,because the vapor was quite cool,and i like warmer vape..Can you recommend me a build that ramps up fast and has average falvros-cloud production?(I can sacrifice cloud production for flavor but i dont think i can do much about it)..I ve heard that parralel n80(i dont like kanthal and ss gives me a metalic taste),is a good build,but i only build staple,fused etc,so i ve no experience with simple coils..So what gauge do you suggest?Also would a fused clapton be better?(i dont want to build extremely low like 0.1,i would like to do minimum ~0.18 as i am new)..And last question,would be a ribbon n80 be a good setup for fast ramp up?(what gauge do you suggest in this wire on this aswell?)..
Thanks in advance

Reactions: stols001

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Have you done any research on ohms law, and battery safety yet? If not, it isn't just recommended, but required to safely use a mech mod.

I wouldn't recommend a 0.18 build to start with at all. It is too close to your battery CDR limit. That is leaving very little wiggle room for safety, especially for a new mech user. I would aim for something around a 0.25-0.35 personally.

Edit- I should also add, the more wire mass, the slower the ramp up. Thicker wires, and exotic builds take longer to ramp up, especially on a mech. So if ramp up time is a concern, higher gauges (26-30) in a simple single wire coil wrap, or parallel, is going to perform better in ramp up time.

Also, I just realized you said vtc5 and not vtc5a, so a 0.18 build actually exceeds your batteries CDR, which is never a good idea to do at all. Please have a look at this link before going any farther with the mech mod, it can help you understand how to keep yourself safe. (14) Ohm's Law Explained for Vapers | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You need to learn ohm's law.

You should probably use heat flux in steam-engine.org if you are creating (or want to create) exotic builds.

Really though, the more MASS you have in a build (be it dual coils, or exotic single coils) your battery is having to work harder to heat all that mass, so it will place additional strain on your battery. This may be why you were getting "weak" vape and slow ramp up time. .I would raise my resistance (by quite a bit) and either use dual coils or ONE exotic coil, and see how the vape turns out. Dual coils are also going to increase overall mass, as you have two coils, and the resistance will be halved.

You need to build to SAFETY first, often times a single round wire (or a single exotic) might be a better place to start.

Using ohm's law and steam-engine.org to plan your builds will keep you in a safer place. Your resistance is too low, and your mass is too high for a single battery mech.

Best of luck,

Anna

gregkoutsikos

Oct 4, 2017
I meant vtc5a sorry,and thats why i said not under 0.18 which is the cdr limit..Also i ve read battery safety and ohms law a lot,and i concluded that the safest is that i dont exceed the cdr limit,but i can exceed it a little if i dont chain vape,thats why i set the lowest ohms at 0.18..So a friend recommended me dual parralel 26ga ni80,around 8 wraps,that comes around 0.24 before dry burn..Also a noob question that i cant find the answer..I count the amps based on ohms before or after dry burn?

• Optimistic

timemachine

Jun 1, 2018
Here is my coil set up for my broadside mech
26gax2 Ni80 36ga Kanthal A1 with a leg length around 6 - 7mm
6 wraps 3.3mm ID dual coil ohm reading at .19 -.2
Sony vtc4/vtc5a
I would say that the rump up time is fast. The flavor and cloud production it really depends in the rda that you are using.
You will see a lot here telling that don't build below .2 . Trust them for our safety.

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Safest is not to exceed 50% of a cells CDR until you understand what you're doing and why, every single time.
Good idea to stick with simple single wire builds when just starting, then 2 strands twisted, then on to fancy coils types after you gain experience & learn the basics.

The resistance to use in amp calculation is after the coil(s) are mounted, pulse fired, strummed / adjusted to ensure they glow evenly from inside out, when they fire in an even uniform fashion allow everything to cool to room temp, now re check trap screws for tightness & then accurately measure resistance.

If you want to skip steps & jump in head first without a full understanding & some practical experience this is when mechanicals can become dangerous in the blink of an eye.
It just isn't a good idea to use a mech to learn on, use a regulated power device until you fully understand what you're doing and are confident in your building skills.

Some folks that takes an hour, others struggle for weeks.

Last edited:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
The battery CDR is not a goal to build to, but a maximum it can safely do when the cell is new. As it ages, and as it goes through charge cycles, it will degrade and not be able to produce the same amps.

Don't try to build to your battery's max limit, but as top water Elvis said, try for half of the amps the cell can produce so you are not stressing the battery heavily all the time, and your battery will last much longer and you are less likely to have an accident.

If you cannot get the vape you like out of the mech mod, you may want to look into stronger batteries with higher CDRs.

Or just stick with regulated mods, no shame in that at all.

gregkoutsikos

Oct 4, 2017
Thanks for the info..I will try thin fused or parallel that are around 0.3-0.4(my style of vaping on regualted are around 0.10-0.15 so i dont think that i will like any build that has higher resistance) ..I ve read a lot about battery safety,ohms law(things that i knew from school/college and physics being my favourite class,but more info never hurts),but i ve seen people building like 0.12 ohms and thats why i said i wanted builds higher than that,just to avoid this kind of builds,because i consider myself a noob on mechs..

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Thanks for the info..I will try thin fused or parallel that are around 0.3-0.4(my style of vaping on regualted are around 0.10-0.15 so i dont think that i will like any build that has higher resistance) ..I ve read a lot about battery safety,ohms law(things that i knew from school/college and physics being my favourite class,but more info never hurts),but i ve seen people building like 0.12 ohms and thats why i said i wanted builds higher than that,just to avoid this kind of builds,because i consider myself a noob on mechs..
I'll vape around 0.12 sometimes but it won't be on a single battery Mech, it'll be on at least a dual parallel. There's no reason to go beyond CDR, none.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
You may be surprised at the vape quality of higher ohm builds than you are used to. When I started vaping, I thought (from local shops and YouTube videos) that the lower the ohm, the better the vape. This simply isn't true for everyone. I get almost the same amount of vapor off of my 0.35 single coil builds I use now as my 0.15 dual builds I used to use. But I am getting better flavor and it is more satisfying for me, with the added bonus that a single battery lasts me a full day so I don't need to pack around extras anymore.

Don't take what you see on the internet as gospel, try new stuff once and a while and see for yourself what you enjoy, because nobody else can do that for you.

• Useful

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Building coils for single battery mechs is all about compromises and trade-offs. If you are going for higher power levels I find it to be an exercise in frustration myself as the lower the resistance is the higher the losses get like a snake eating it's own tail.

My goto build for a single battery mech is dual 26G 316 stainless steel 6 wraps at 2.5mm internal diameter
88 watts (in a prefect world) and drawing 21 amps.

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
i concluded that the safest is that i dont exceed the cdr limit,but i can exceed it a little if i dont chain vape
On a regulated device, this theory works because there are safety features built into the device. On a mech, no such thing. Accidentally pushing the go button while in your pocket is the same as chain vaping or worse, get a sticky button while using it with short puffs- if you cant get the battery out in time, thats a problem with exceeding the limits of your battery. While using mechs, you are the safety feature. CDR is Continuous Discharge Rate. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

gregkoutsikos

Oct 4, 2017
Ι have tried higher ohm builds like 2x28 core with 36 on the outer wire fused clapton,that ohms about 0.35 ,but the vapor is cooler and i like warmer vapes(because i vape vanilla,biscuit etc kind of flavors that in my opinion taste better on hotter vapes)..Thats why i use lower gauge coils on regulated devices..The build that i tried on the mech and kinda satisfied me (i am going to try parallel 26gauge n80 when i get the wire and i think that will work better)is 2x26 with 36 on the outter,that ohms about 0.2 and draws 21 amps...I know that i should try going higher because i am a noob,so i dropped the mech for a while till i find the wire that works well for me on higher ohms..

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
In all honesty, mech mods are limited in their capabilities. They are a lot less adjustable, and for someone coming from modern regulated mods and used to high power, a mech is going to be lack luster at best unless your willing to put your safety at risk and over stress your batteries. For those that like low to mid range power, they can still be very viable while maintaining a margin of safety.

I admit, to someone looking into mechs, they seem like they are a step up from regulated. That was true at one point in time, but now the regulated technology has caught up and exceeds a mech in the power standpoint. So if you enjoy high wattage vaping, you may never find a build you enjoy on a single battery mech.

Last edited:

gregkoutsikos

Oct 4, 2017
I bought some 26gause n80 and did some tests..The best build i found was parallel n80 26 gauge with 6 wraps that came about 0.2 ohms,that equals 21 amps,so i had 4 amps till the battery cdr..But i made an extra wrap going to 7,and 0.23 ohms that draw ~18 amps,just because i am still new and i want to have some room(still not the 50% of my cdr but i think i am pretty safe,and i get 2-3 hits then i leave the mod for 1-2 mins)..With the mage rda,and the airflow a bit less than half closed,it gave me a medium temprature vape,medium to fast ramp up(the first hit may take a bit more,or i just wait a sec then vape),with decent cloud production(i dont really care about clouds tho) and flavor(i still dont get the performace i get off a regulated mod,but its a good start for someone looking into mechs)..I think i will stick with it for now..Just posting for someone who seeks the same answers i did

timemachine

Jun 1, 2018
On my mech I alway purge before I drag same thing on my regulated. I don't know sometimes in my day to day vaping style I have a .2 ohm on my mech which is approximately @ 4V it will give u a power or wattage 80w or 3.7 at 68ish but when I remove the same rda same build on a regulated mod I drop my wattage around 55-60 same vape experience. And also not all regulated mod have the same chip like I have a voopoo drag and a lost vape paranormal 166 .2 build on drag I set to 60 but on my paranormal I set to 68. If that make sense. :)

gregkoutsikos

Oct 4, 2017
On my mech I alway purge before I drag same thing on my regulated. I don't know sometimes in my day to day vaping style I have a .2 ohm on my mech which is approximately @ 4V it will give u a power or wattage 80w or 3.7 at 68ish but when I remove the same rda same build on a regulated mod I drop my wattage around 55-60 same vape experience. And also not all regulated mod have the same chip like I have a voopoo drag and a lost vape paranormal 166 .2 build on drag I set to 60 but on my paranormal I set to 68. If that make sense. :)
I also have a drag,thats the main mod i use to measure the ohms ..Also in terms of rampup the 7wrap n80 parallel is kinda good,but i still dont see the warm vape i want..

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
With my mechs, I have to use certain RDAs to achieve the vape I want. Dual coils always drained my batteries quickly and left me with a cooler vape at safe ohm ranges for the batteries I used to use (have not tried them on my newer 2x700 batteries) and single coil, small condensed deck RDAs offered more of a warm to hot vape depending on the coils I used.

Mechs require more work to reach a set goal, but if you get it where you want it, you will always know how to recreate it.

timemachine

Jun 1, 2018
You need to consider also the voltage drop. I don't have the coilart mech so I cant tell. But still I always calculate @ 4.2 V. and if I want to check my voltage battery I have this see picture below
volt meter.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread