Single coil's and Dual coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Cunningham

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
North Carolina, USA
I searched and found a thread about this but it was closed so I'm starting this one.

I think I'm understanding that a dual coil cartomizer for example at 1.5ohms equals a single coil at 3.0. It confuses me though when I see dual coils above 2.0 ohms, especially when your tank comes with that. If for a single coil, most seem to use 1.8-2.2. So shouldn't most dual coils be about 1ohm per coil? I mean the tank I bought online recently was dual coil and it says it's 2.0ohms so does that mean it's like running a 4ohm single? Or am I missing something?

Also since the dual coils take up more battery power and go through juice quicker, does anyone have any recommendations for single coil cartomizers (well, mainly tanks that work well and take single coils)?

I think most of my cartomizers are dual coils except for some older ego stuff that's in "the graveyard," but for my best juices I think I might want to make them last longer with single coils, but I have no idea what kinds to get (preferably under $10 to get 4-5, but up to $20 for a nice one that is at least glass and for sure won't gurgle and be high quality).

Thanks for any advice guys!

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
A dual coil cartomizer at 1.5 Ohms does not equal a single coil at 3.0 Ohm. It contains two coils at 3.0 Ohm each. So your 2.0 Ohm dual coil carto contains two 4.0 Ohm coils.

The two 4.0 Ohm coils are likely made with thinner resistance wire than a single coil carto would have.

In practice, a 2.0 Ohm dual coil should be run at a slightly higher voltage than a 2.0 Ohm single coil, but not twice as high because each coil is physically smaller.

If you are using your mod in variable wattage mode, a dual coil should be run at a bit less than twice the wattage of an Ohm-equivalent single coil.

Last but not least: YMMV.

Will Cunningham

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
North Carolina, USA
Ok, so I should tend to stick to the same ohm on the package with the duals and singles? Just maybe a bit lower maybe for the dual?

What's weird is that I was using a 2.2 single on my mech mod and I tried a 1.5 dual and I couldn't tell a difference.

And wow, two 4.0ohm coils which equals 8ohms for a 2.0? Lol this is confusing.

I know people have different preferences, but for a mech mod without VV, what's a normal range for a single coil vs a dual coil? Since you can't change the voltage on them wouldn't you need a pretty specific one?

Last edited:

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
And wow, two 4.0ohm coils which equals 8ohms for a 2.0? Lol this is confusing.

Where did you get 8 ohms? Each coil has 4 ohms resistance which makes the overall resistance 2 ohms.

I really don't see that dual-coils are any better than single-coils except for one instance. The EMDCC puts out an incredible amount of vapor. But, that probably has more to do with how big it is than with the dual-coils, I guess.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Smoktech is the only carto manufacturer to make dual coils. To my knowledge, Boge and Ikenvape do not make them. (I wonder why?)

Smoktech made one of the very first mass-produced cartotanks on the market about 2 - 3 years ago. Prior to that the people on ECF were modding their own tanks from plastic medical syringes. With these new tanks, Smoktech was including their newest cartomizers - dual coil cartos. And the tank itself was called a DCT, or dual coil tank.

The name stuck, and soon all the other tank manufacturers were calling their tanks DCT even though you could use a single coil carto in the tanks.

I've used both single coil and dual coil cartos. I absolutely prefer single coils. I seem to get a burnt taste with the dual coils after a day or two of use. I suspect that the upper coil begins to burn the polyfill at some point due to wicking issues with the dual coil design. With the wick holes being so low in the carto, the upper part of the filler never stays saturated allowing the filler to be burned by the upper coil. Since switching to single coils I only rarely get a burnt taste with my cartos.

Duel Coil Cartomizer Anatomy.jpg Cartomizer Anatomy.jpg dual & single coil anatomy

Low resistance coils were designed for use with mechanical (fixed voltage) mods or batteries. This was to simulate the higher voltage you could experience with regulated VV mods or batteries. Therefore they burn hotter than a standard resistance coil. These will have a more restricted range of voltage if used with a VV battery.

Higher resistance coils will have a wider range of voltage available for use on a regulated mod than a low resistance coil will. This can be visualized in the below graphic.

Last edited:

New2vaps

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
USA
Smoktech is the only carto manufacturer to make dual coils. To my knowledge, Boge and Ikenvape do not make them. (I wonder why?)

Ikenvape started making dual coil again. But nothing I would I purchase. I stick to the single coils always. Here is a link to the Ikenvape dual coil carto

510 MEGA Nitro 2.5

To the OP, I say wait just a bit longer and try the new 2 punched Nitro cartos Ikenvape should have coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread