Status
Not open for further replies.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
It probably will use a bit more for dual, but may depend on the atty. I run duals about 1.3 ohms, and love it, and really don't go through much juice at all. I use a nuppin and a derringer clone. I know I could do singles like that, but I get better throat hit and more flavor with duals, so that's what I use. For me it doesn't use enough more to really even notice it.

Reactions: K31Scout

Layzee Vaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2015
Hi Dan,

Some light reading for you!

Optimizing heat flux for mech mods - chart example | E-Cigarette Forum

I found the information really useful when trying to sort out my build.

Before you jump into dual coils

Coil placement, wicking and airflow all have a big impact on the amount of vapour, as does the make up of your juice. If you use a high VG content you can add some distilled water or PG and this brings down the temperature that the juice vaporises at. This allows you to run a higher ohm coil at a lower temperature.

To get the most amount of vapour you would need to increase the surface area of the coil(s) and increase the airflow.

Overall I have found it much easier to stick to single coils, getting the wicking and coil placement right is much easier.

If you feel you need more vapour probably the easiest way is to use thicker wire to increase the surface area and put up with the lower resistance and slower ramp up time.

If you take the same number of hits with the same duration your juice consumption will increase. Some people find that they take shorter hits because of the increased amount of vapour and the juice consumption stays the same or even reduces.

For me getting the juice composition and wicking and coil position right made the biggest difference overall. Jumping into more complicated builds without getting the basics right first led to a lot of different builds and a lot of frustration.

Good luck!

Danrogers

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2014
Campbell River, BC, Canada
Go for the duals. You make your own joose right? It's really cheap.

Hey Raynman, yes I make my own juice so it's not a matter of cost. I enjoy MTL, for me it's the way I smoked and I quess you can't teach this old dog new tricks.;)

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Joose usage is insignificant to me so it matters not how much is used. Most of my builds use a lot of joose, so on average I go through 25-30mls a day, sometime more. But it's super cheap if you make it yourself or affordable if you know where the best places are to buy quality premade from. Massive flavor rich vapor from high center parallel coils with dual/triple air wide open has been my favorite builds lately for my long, slow lung hits.

This parallel on a Nuppin' V2 is high enough that about half of the coil is up into the top cap/wide bore slip fit Delrin DT. The flavor is so concentrated I can almost chew it. Have similar in other Nuppin's, but in time all 8 will have high center parallel or some maybe dual HCP builds. Same with the Chalice II/III's, some already have HCP builds, all 7 probably will eventually.

nup-p-build.jpg

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I spent a good deal of my smoking career as a cigar and pipe smoker, so I'm used to a thick, rich vape. For this reason alone, I've used dual coils for probably 2 1/2 years. Single coils just don't do the trick, for me. My dual builds are consistently about .4 ohms, with 26g wire. I get a nice warm, full vape, with a bit of ramp up time, kind of like taking a slow drag on a cigar. I've found that I don't like instant on, with quicker ramp up, that I would get with 27 or 28g.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I spent a good deal of my smoking career as a cigar and pipe smoker, so I'm used to a thick, rich vape. For this reason alone, I've used dual coils for probably 2 1/2 years. Single coils just don't do the trick, for me. My dual builds are consistently about .4 ohms, with 26g wire. I get a nice warm, full vape, with a bit of ramp up time, kind of like taking a slow drag on a cigar. I've found that I don't like instant on, with quicker ramp up, that I would get with 27 or 28g.

Rule... I just wrapped a HCP in another Nuppin' approximating your lead, a 26ga, 2.5mm, .4 ohms mounted well below the cap because I have a metal Syner DT on this Nuppin'/Mech Woodvil. It runs so hot with my long, slow lung hits that I'd have to loose the Syner DT and run a Pyrex DT on it for starters. Not only does the atty get very hot fast on even the first pull, so does the DT. It's also too hot for the joose I am running in this Nuppin', flavor suffers a lot, and it was running just fine with massive flavor with the 27ga .4 ohm dual build that was in it. So kind of amazing the difference between this build and the same value dual build I took out, and the one shown above that is 27ga, 2.5mm, .6 ohms with the coil up in the top cap. That build doesn't get the atty near as hot and the joose in that one likes that build a lot. Anyway, I'm going to put a Pyrex DT on it temporarily and try some other liquids in it to see if any of them like the build. If not I'll pull it, put in a new dual 27ga, .4 build and the preferred Syner DT back in it.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Rule... I just wrapped a HCP in another Nuppin' approximating your lead, a 26ga, 2.5mm, .4 ohms mounted well below the cap because I have a metal Syner DT on this Nuppin'/Mech Woodvil. It runs so hot with my long, slow lung hits that I'd have to loose the Syner DT and run a Pyrex DT on it for starters. Not only does the atty get very hot fast on even the first pull, so does the DT. It's also too hot for the joose I am running in this Nuppin', flavor suffers a lot, and it was running just fine with massive flavor with the 27ga .4 ohm dual build that was in it. So kind of amazing the difference between this build and the same value dual build I took out, and the one shown above that is 27ga, 2.5mm, .6 ohms with the coil up in the top cap. That build doesn't get the atty near as hot and the joose in that one likes that build a lot. Anyway, I'm going to put a Pyrex DT on it temporarily and try some other liquids in it to see if any of them like the build. If not I'll pull it, put in a new dual 27ga, .4 build and the preferred Syner DT back in it.

I don't run 2.5mm diameter duals. I like 2.0mm. But with regard to heat flux, it's a part of coil building that seems to get ignored, or at least minimalized by lots of builders.
In order to achieve my desired .4 ohm dual coil build, I can make 2 coils of 7 wraps each, with 26g kanthal; or, I could make 2 coils of 5 wraps each of 27g kanthal. Same final resistance, .4 ohms, same coil diameter, 2mm. But the heat up time, and the vape will be warmer, with the 27g build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread