Slightly metallic taste.. Should I get a new box mod with more power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuNar

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2014
Hays KS
I got a vtr for Christmas and it's been great so far. Got a Lemo drop rta a bit after Christmas... I have a 0.7 ohm standard coil and I'm firing it at 15 watts... Get a kinda metallic taste... It takes about 3 seconds for it start actually making vapor so the first 3 seconds are spent waiting for the coils to heat up...I'm not a fan of this.

Now I used the kanthal that came with the Lemo.. it's thick but it's easy to work with. I didn't use the cotton it came with...

Is 15 watts with a 0.7 ohm coil just not enough power? Is it that the wire that came with the lemo just too thick to heat up fast?
I have 32g, 30g, and 28g kanthal and I'm thinking about building a 1.7 to a 2.2ish build next time I need to refill my tank and seeing if that will make a difference. I thought a sub ohm build would be better but I guess I've mistaken.

I like my vtr but I've also been looking at tons of other mods out there.

1. I've heard the cloupor hana clones are good/hard to find/ but seem to make your tank/rta look like it's sitting crooked.. Any thoughts? I've also read that some of the hana clone chips have burnt out within 4 hours to 12 days of use.... Do the Cloupor hana clones do the "too hot" thing on the latest version? Where can I get a cloupor Hana clone, the latest version?

2. The istick looks good. I think there's a 30w and a 50w coming out in the future should I honestly just wait for one of them?

I'd like a box mod that is kinda small, can hold at least 1 18650 with a usb charging port. Maybe smooth around the edges, and can fire up to at least 30w. Price range is around $70 atm but I will look into $125ish box mods as well. (of course I'd LOVE to have an authentic Hana dna 30 but I don't have $250 to spend on one.) :c

*deleon517*

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
s. florida
Anytime you are getting more then the taste of juice, its usually from being dry. Too much power can also cause this but if done properly all should be fine. .7ohm at 15 watts should be working well and getting decent vapor. Biggest thing to be looking at is that no part of the coils are touching anything metal, only the tail ends should slide into the post area's. Make sure that there is enough cotton, it should be able to slide in and out with minimal force before juicing up the first time. Too little cotton and you will get dry coil spots, too much cotton and your juice flow will get choked when the cotton expands. Both will lead to dry hits which have a sort of hot metal taste.

BeerGolfClouds

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2014
Orange County, CA, USA
I can't really comment on the new mod question, as I went from mech mods straight to an iPV3. That's probably a bit more power than you're looking for...then again, it never hurts to have too much :)

Did you thoroughly clean the Lemo Drop before use? I mean like a hardcore hot water and detergent soak, scrub, and maybe sit in some pure grain alcohol for a while? You may have some residual machine oil in there somewhere, which would cause a nasty, metallic taste. Could also be that part of your coil isn't contacting your wick (underwicking). Or even a hot spot in the coil itself.

As for the slow heating time issue, yes, 15 watts isn't enough power to push that .7 ohm coil. For now, try building a 1.2 ohm coil with 28ga and see how that works. That's the build I use in my Kayfuns at 15 watts and it's a great vape.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I can't really comment on the new mod question, as I went from mech mods straight to an iPV3. That's probably a bit more power than you're looking for...then again, it never hurts to have too much :)

Did you thoroughly clean the Lemo Drop before use? I mean like a hardcore hot water and detergent soak, scrub, and maybe sit in some pure grain alcohol for a while? You may have some residual machine oil in there somewhere, which would cause a nasty, metallic taste. Could also be that part of your coil isn't contacting your wick (underwicking). Or even a hot spot in the coil itself.

As for the slow heating time issue, yes, 15 watts isn't enough power to push that .7 ohm coil. For now, try building a 1.2 ohm coil with 28ga and see how that works. That's the build I use in my Kayfuns at 15 watts and it's a great vape.

Great post BGC, I'll just add that I never use any kanthal or premade coil that comes with any RTA / RDA. Try a rebuild with your own kanthal and give that Lemo a good bath...

LuNar

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2014
Hays KS
Thanks man!

Anytime you are getting more then the taste of juice, its usually from being dry. Too much power can also cause this but if done properly all should be fine. .7ohm at 15 watts should be working well and getting decent vapor. Biggest thing to be looking at is that no part of the coils are touching anything metal, only the tail ends should slide into the post area's. Make sure that there is enough cotton, it should be able to slide in and out with minimal force before juicing up the first time. Too little cotton and you will get dry coil spots, too much cotton and your juice flow will get choked when the cotton expands. Both will lead to dry hits which have a sort of hot metal taste.

LuNar

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2014
Hays KS
I took it apart and ran all the pieces through some hot water but I didn't soak it in alchohol. When I took it apart I didn't see any signs of mechine oil but here soon I'll take it apart and really give it a good bathe. I'll also try that 1.2 ohm 28g build as well. Thanks for the info!

beez0527

SQUONKAHOLIC
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2014
Etna,OH
I got a vtr for Christmas and it's been great so far. Got a Lemo drop rta a bit after Christmas... I have a 0.7 ohm standard coil and I'm firing it at 15 watts... Get a kinda metallic taste... It takes about 3 seconds for it start actually making vapor so the first 3 seconds are spent waiting for the coils to heat up...I'm not a fan of this.

Now I used the kanthal that came with the Lemo.. it's thick but it's easy to work with. I didn't use the cotton it came with...

Is 15 watts with a 0.7 ohm coil just not enough power? Is it that the wire that came with the lemo just too thick to heat up fast?
I have 32g, 30g, and 28g kanthal and I'm thinking about building a 1.7 to a 2.2ish build next time I need to refill my tank and seeing if that will make a difference. I thought a sub ohm build would be better but I guess I've mistaken.

I like my vtr but I've also been looking at tons of other mods out there.

1. I've heard the cloupor hana clones are good/hard to find/ but seem to make your tank/rta look like it's sitting crooked.. Any thoughts? I've also read that some of the hana clone chips have burnt out within 4 hours to 12 days of use.... Do the Cloupor hana clones do the "too hot" thing on the latest version? Where can I get a cloupor Hana clone, the latest version?

2. The istick looks good. I think there's a 30w and a 50w coming out in the future should I honestly just wait for one of them?

I'd like a box mod that is kinda small, can hold at least 1 18650 with a usb charging port. Maybe smooth around the edges, and can fire up to at least 30w. Price range is around $70 atm but I will look into $125ish box mods as well. (of course I'd LOVE to have an authentic Hana dna 30 but I don't have $250 to spend on one.) :c

If you go with an ipv mini heres a better deal i ordered mine on Wednesday received Friday morning (California to Ohio ) 49.95 free shipping.
Vapor Range | Pioneer4You IPV Mini 30W Variable Voltage Wattage Box Mod - Variable Voltage Your Online Vape Store for Mechanical Mods , Rebuildable Dripper RBA's RDA's , and Juice

LuNar

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2014
Hays KS
I'm still looking at that ipv mini lol. So I took it apart and cleaned it with dish soap, rinsed it , let it sit in pure alchohol and it's much less noticeable. I'll get a few rips without the metallic taste so I think I'm just bad at wicking this thing.

I built a 1.8 ohm coil 28g kanthal and fires much faster so that worked out.

I did get a burnt taste after a small chain vape session. So I still have much to learn about wicking an rta correctly.

The journey continues....

Thanks for all the help guys!

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
I'm still looking at that ipv mini lol. So I took it apart and cleaned it with dish soap, rinsed it , let it sit in pure alchohol and it's much less noticeable. I'll get a few rips without the metallic taste so I think I'm just bad at wicking this thing.

My hunch from the metallic taste was a hotleg, but if you cleaned everything and rebuilt the coil then you're probably on the right track with the wicking. If you didn't rebuild the coil, check for hot legs and that the coil isn't getting any intermittent shorts.

Otherwise, your coil is getting too hot and without enough eliquid getting to it. Try removing the wicking bit by bit and see if it improves, and if you were following a youtube video or something for wicking -- check around for others to see how they're doing it differently. Everything might be great for the person doing the video, but if you change a variable like the VG ratio then it may not work for you. :)

HIH

LuNar

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2014
Hays KS
14a7ca59324bf0d1037aed7d900aeb25.jpg

Can you guys see this image.. I still get dry hits once in a while and I've made sure there are no hot leads. Is this too little cotton?

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
Can you guys see this image.. I still get dry hits once in a while and I've made sure there are no hot leads. Is this too little cotton?

It looks a little light to me, but not bad. I'd consider cutting your cutton a little longer so it's going into the juice channels a bit. A lot of the earlier videos out there pointed people to having it around where yours is, but many cut em a little longer now to wick better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread