Small clear case & boosted 14250s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
Hey Hoog, I hope it's still ok to post mods made with your products in here?

I have been wanting to try the 14250s, I wondered if I could boost them. I found these small clear cases on MV & it looked like the perfect fit. It was & I could. :) The 14250s surprised me. They are in parallel in this mod & yes, it will work with only one in. I don't know about duration yet.

The black stuff is some foam board I found @ a hobby store & I used foil tape for the + connection.

I've still got a couple of things left to do. I've got to attach the connector & switch permanently, I just haven't decided what I'm going to use & I don't know when I'll be able to get back to this mod.

parts.jpg open-all.jpg open--with carto.jpg switch-side.jpg closed-with carto.jpg

I like tiny mods that pack a kick, this one fits the bill. I'm vaping it as I type with one of the Smoke Tech 3.2 ohm 510 cartos & it's as strong as any other boosted mod I've done. As I look at it, I may be able to get the connector inside the case & cut 1/4" off of the total length.

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
@Roadrash ~ Thanks. I like using one battery & getting a 5v kick. Less stuff to lug around. I know this one has 2 batteries, but it's so dang small. :) I've had mods wear out & took the booster out & used it in another.

@Inkjet21 ~ The caps are 100uf 16v. I prefer 25v or greater, but these are working fine. These are tantalum capacitors, for a non-surface mount, I use electrolytic.
I haven't measured across the coil, but at the connector, it's a solid 5v. The only coil I have open that I could measure is 1 ohm.

What kind of problem are you having? I've got everything boosted from 1.6v NiZns(pair) up through 18650s & they all work great.

With mod, I've got the 2 14250s in parallel in there to make them last a little longer. I get 2.5 hrs of solid vaping out of this mod before it tapers off. Perfect for getting ready for & going to work. :) I normally use a single battery.

inkjet21

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2010
ohio
SCI. they seem to boost up fine its just when i fire it the volts drop down way to low. i just ordered some different caps to try. also made a better rig for the 18650 to run in parallel that seemed to help with the volt drop but 1 18650 still dont work well at all . i think i`m going to go ahead and soldier it up when the new caps come in . maybe the breadboard has bad connections or something

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
Here's how I wire mine. Like I said, I use various voltage values for the caps, but I seem to get the best results out of >16v.
Ti-boarda.jpg

Dang, sorry the pic is so big, I thought it automatically thumbnailed it. Anyway, the open pin is for a adjusting the voltage. If you leave it bare, it's auto 5v.

Are you hooking all of this up on a breadboard for testing? i've always gotten 5v on one. Check the resistance of your connections leading up to the input of the booster.

*Side note on the boosted 14250s* I am using one of them at a time & getting 2.5 hours of solid vaping out of it. The foam board was not making the connection across the 2 batteries. Since one of these little batteries kicks ...., I am going to put the booster beside 1 battery & will have room for the connector inside the mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread