SMOK AL85 - Battery Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Smok AL85 is a one cell device, 55w on a single cell is pushing it, combined with the al85 high low voltage cutoff half a day is about right depending on how much you vape.
Authentic LG battery(s)?

The baby beast is a delivery device/ 'tank', al85 is the power device.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
To attempt to explain your issue, a number of variables must be considered:

• When comparing the Smok Alien vs the Smok Istick, the Smok Alien uses replaceable IMR batteries while the Istick uses a non-replaceable integrated Li-po battery. There are pro's and con's to each chemistry type. Let's say that you've been vaping the Istick all day and the Li-po battery completely drains someplace where you can't recharge it --- you can't vape again until you get somewhere to recharge the battery. Also, when one day when that battery ages to the point when it will no longer carry a decent charge, you have to purchase an entirely new ecig. Now, with your Smok Alien, if you carry an extra charged battery with you (in a plastic battery holder, for safety), you can continue to vape by replacing the drained battery with the fully charged one. And when one day when those IMR batteries age to the point when they no longer carry a decent charge, you simply replace them with NEW batteries for about $5 each (no need to buy a new ecig for much more money).
  • Some regulated mods are more energy efficient than others. I can't personally speak for either the Alien or Istick models, but it could be that the Istick is more energy efficient than the Alien.
  • Authentic batteries vs rewrap/rebranded batteries. Authentic name brand batteries from LG, Samsung, and Sony are much more likely to perform better than the other "brands" selling batteries or fake name brand batteries, which are simply rewraps of cell rejects. Try to purchase batteries from known trusted vendors to insure using authentics. Are You Using a Rewrap (Rebranded) Battery?

Last edited:

Wildveper7

Sep 5, 2017
To attempt to explain your issue, a number of variables must be considered:

• When comparing the Smok Alien vs the Smok Istick, the Smok Alien uses replaceable IMR batteries while the Istick uses a non-replaceable integrated Li-po battery. There are pro's and con's to each chemistry type. Let's say that you've been vaping the Istick all day and the Li-po battery completely drains someplace where you can't recharge it --- you can't vape again until you get somewhere to recharge the battery. Also, when one day when that battery ages to the point when it will no longer carry a decent charge, you have to purchase an entirely new ecig. Now, with your Smok Alien, if you carry an extra charged battery with you (in a plastic battery holder, for safety), you can continue to vape by replacing the drained battery with the fully charged one. And when one day when those IMR batteries age to the point when they no longer carry a decent charge, you simply replace them with NEW batteries for about $5 each (no need to buy a new ecig for much more money).
  • Some regulated mods are more energy efficient than others. I can't personally speak for either the Alien or Istick models, but it could be that the Istick is more energy efficient than the Alien.
  • Authentic batteries vs rewrap/rebranded batteries. Authentic name brand batteries from LG, Samsung, and Sony are much more likely to perform better than the other "brands" selling batteries or fake name brand batteries, which are simply rewraps of cell rejects. Try to purchase batteries from known trusted vendors to insure using authentics. Are You Using a Rewrap (Rebranded) Battery?
Thanks for this!

Seems you're quite knowledgeable

I only use authentic vaping products and initially i purchased the Samsung battery (2600Mah), but got so fed up with my battery dying on me after 1 hour that i got the authentic LG (3000Mah) battery but i was told i should be able to get around a full day - which i have not been able to get close to

Reactions: Baditude

Wildveper7

Sep 5, 2017
Smok AL85 is a one cell device, 55w on a single cell is pushing it, combined with the al85 high low voltage cutoff half a day is about right depending on how much you vape.
Authentic LG battery(s)?

The baby beast is a delivery device/ 'tank', al85 is the power device.[/QU

Yes, only authentic vape gear

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Thanks for this!

I only use authentic vaping products and initially i purchased the Samsung battery (2600Mah), but got so fed up with my battery dying on me after 1 hour that i got the authentic LG (3000Mah) battery but i was told i should be able to get around a full day - which i have not been able to get close to

The Samsung ICR18650 26-F cell would be a very poor choice for vaping use.
It has a 5a CDR.
Any of the Samsung 2600mah variants are unsuitable for our use.

Which LG 3000mah?
With an authentic LG HG2 3000mah cell (brown wrap) you'll get approximately 17 minutes of actual runtime at 35w.
There are many fake LGhg2 on the market, many places sell the fakes unknowingly.
Where you buy cells is crucial.
The LGD1 3000 mah (pink wrap) should not be used for vaping / 6ish a CDR.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thanks for this!

I can get a full day (breakfast to supper) from a 3000mah 20A battery at 10W in most all my mods. Depending on how often I hit it I may get to 9pm before changing batteries. Higher vaping levels drain it quicker. Vaping at 35W will increase the drain on the battery. Half a day at 35W probably isn't far off the norm. Vape time and frequency of use are important battery life factors.

As others said, genuine batteries are crucial to battery life and vape time. If you happen to get a knock off (and it's common depending on who you buy from) all bets are off on performance and battery life.

Last edited:

Wildveper7

Sep 5, 2017
The Samsung ICR18650 26-F cell would be a very poor choice for vaping use.
It has a 5a CDR.
Any of the Samsung 2600mah variants are unsuitable for our use.

Which LG 3000mah?
With an authentic LG HG2 3000mah cell (brown wrap) you'll get approximately 17 minutes of actual runtime at 35w.
There are many fake LGhg2 on the market, many places sell the fakes unknowingly.
Where you buy cells is crucial.
The LGD1 3000 mah (pink wrap) should not be used for vaping / 6ish a CDR.
Yeah its the brown wrap and bought from a very well established vaping franchise - in South Africa

Thank you for the help

Wildveper7

Sep 5, 2017
I can get a full day (breakfast to supper) from a 3000mah 20A battery at 10W in most all my mods. Depending on how often I hit it I may get to 9pm before changing batteries. Higher vaping levels drain it quicker. Vaping at 35W will increase the drain on the battery. Half a day at 35W probably isn't far off the norm. Vape time and frequency of use are important battery life factors.

As others said, genuine batteries are crucial to battery life and vape time. If you happen to get a knock off (and it's common depending on who you buy from) all best are off.
Thanks for feedback!!

Appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread