SMOK AL85 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loizos

Dec 25, 2017
Hello and Merry Christmas!
I'm new to this site so I am not sure if this is the correct section for this post...
I've recently switched mods from the eVic VT to the smok AL85 due to the previous mod having charging issues...
So far I'm really liking the simplicity and style of the AL85, but one thing that bothers me is the really long procedure the device requires to turn off...
For those of you not familiar with the mod, basically 5 clicks of the fire button locks the device so that the fire button and the wattage control won't get pressed accidentally in your pocket. But to completely turn it off, you have to press it 3 times to get to the menu, then navigate to the power setting, hold it down, press the fire button one more time and hold it down again. My old mod only required 5 clicks to shut down.
So my questions are: Is there any way to customize the turn off setting so that it's made more simple? If not, I want to know if locking the device consumes the battery. For example, if I keep it in my pocket while locked, does the battery drain, or does it drain ONLY if I use it?
Thank you in advance!

Reactions: KC0YNU

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
simple answer is : no You can't cchange the way you turn off the device.battery will mostly drain when you use it (unless you have pretty lightshows on all the time ofc). Generally i bring backups wether battery or a 2nd mod that way i never run out of battery which means i can vape all day :)

Hope that helps and welcome to ecf !

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
As you said it does depend on the mod...
In theory the battery should not be drained if it's locked and the display is off...but I guess I will have to test that out myself ;)

Thanks for your reply!
Well it mostly depend on wether it's a dual or single 18650 mod, i use a dual one (gpriv 2 from smok) even with it on all day i lock it between breaks and it's always in stealth mode which basically turns the screen off unless i unlock that. Even with it on 9/10 times, my mod lasts for minimum all day and most times about half a 2nd day (kinda depends on how often i go out for a toke). Again if i'd use my single 18650, that shizz would never last the entire day at 60 watts, but that's why i've got 2 batteries for it. I always have both in case one blows up or battery run out or something along those lines XD

Reactions: stols001

Loizos

Dec 25, 2017
I never really used stealth mode with this mod...
I just set the screen time to 30 seconds, so that it doesn't display anything when I don't use it...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't stealth mode lock the screen automatically when the mod is not used? I suppose there is no need for that since i always lock it.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I never really used stealth mode with this mod...
I just set the screen time to 30 seconds, so that it doesn't display anything when I don't use it...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't stealth mode lock the screen automatically when the mod is not used? I suppose there is no need for that since i always lock it.
Can't say, never owned any alien mod from smok and my present gpriv 2 has a button dedicated to locking my settings and turning the screen off (stealth mode) to lock my fire button i click it 3 times, so no menu system for me, though i let it on stealth so i don't accidentally change my settings,since mine is a touchscreen after all..

Loizos

Dec 25, 2017
Hello again everyone,

Just wanted to give a little update in case anyone is interested in this thread in the future. I eventually gave up on the AL85 because I couldn't stand the small battery life. A singe 18650 just wasn't enough for me as it drained faster than I thought it would...

I just bought a Tesla WYE 200W with a SMOK TFV8 and I am enjoying every second of it.

Thanks again to everyone!

1neeto

Jan 15, 2018
Step one: unscrew the battery cap
Step two: remove battery
Step three: re insert battery

Device defaults to off when you remove the battery.

If you want to manually shut down, click 3 times and cycle to the power option, select off and wait about 3 seconds and the mod should turn off. My battery lasts about a day and half depending how much I vape or how many watts I set it. I leave it locked but on overnight and it doesn’t seem to drain the battery.

Foggyroomz

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2014
Indiana
Most all devices today have a stealth mode for the displays which means set your power lock it in so you aren't accidentally changing your power settings and then put the mod in stealth mode and it will save battery from draining due to screen being lit up every time you fire the device. Smok products have a pretty intense menu system but offer screen timer adjustments which will either allow the screen to be lit up longer or shut them down quicker after you release the fire button or shut the screens off completely. Just for future reference single battery devices are not for people who vape high power and heavily all day, they are for the people who are light duty vapers. I don't even really like dual battery rigs, having had multiple triple battery devices like the RX-200 has spoiled me on battery life and the new RX gen3 has made carrying a triple battery mod less daunting.

• Informative

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I'm a little late on this thread, but wanted to add:

To turn off the AL85 (... well as many other Smok mods):

Press the up and down buttons at the same time locks the mod.
While locked, depress and hold the fire bar for about 5 seconds and the lock icon will change to the power on/off screen.
Select "off" and in a couple seconds, the mod turns off.

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread