SMOK G-PRIV 2 KIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the g-priv 2 Kit from smok. The kit was kindly supplied for the purpose of this review by Ruby from smok.

SMOK® Official Store: Shopping for All Best Vaping Kits, Mods, Atomizers, Coils, Accessories & more - Innovation keeps changing the vaping experience!

In the Box

Contents:

1 x G-Priv 2 Mod
1 x Silicone G-Priv 2 Sleeve
1 x TFV8 X-Baby Tank
1 x V8 X-Baby Q2 0.4Ω Dual Coils(pre-installed)
1 x V8 X-Baby T6 0.2Ω Sextuple Coils
1 x Replacement Glass Tube
1 x USB Cable
1 x User Manual
1 x Set of Spare Parts

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

On opening the box i was met by a lovely shaped device, the cut corners, raised front panel (which incorporates the screen) also with cut corners and fire bar turns a basic rectangle into a pleasantly shaped form. The device i received was the rainbow version which comes with a matching X-Baby Tank. Rainbow done well is probably my colour of choice but if it's done badly it can make a device look toy like, so i am pleased on the G-Priv 2 it's done very well. The paint is the customary glossy car paint like finish and is the up to date more durable coating. On the back of the device like with most Smok devices is a carbon fibre effect panel, matching the shape of the front. On one side of the device is the fire bar and above this is the lock screen button. The top incorporates a nice spring loaded 510 and the bottom reveals generous venting slots and the USB port. The device has some weight to it but is not too heavy and fits nicely in the hand, having a fire bar in my opinion always helps with the ergonomics. The G-Priv 2 is a solid and seems very durable device with no rattles whatsoever.

X-Baby Tank Specs:

Capacity: 4ml
EU Edition Capacity 2ml
Height: 57mm
Diameter: 24.5mm
Material: Stainless steel
Top to Bottom Airflow
Thread Connector: 510

X-Baby Tank

Another tank in the TFV8 range which is included with most Smok kits, However the X-Baby has top airflow (which is duel cyclops with stopper, and i must say just the right resistance), and therefore also uses slightly different coils to accommodate this. If the G-Priv 2 had come with the Baby Beast or the Big Baby Beast i would of tested other tanks i am reviewing on it as i have used the TFV8 tanks that often, but with the X-Baby having top-airflow i wanted to see how it compared to it's siblings. Other than the top airflow, the tank is the same with an identical hinged top cap for easy top-filling through the fill slot. The tank easily separates into it's different components and can be put back together just as simply. With the kit you get a pre-installed V8 X-Baby Q2 0.4, 40w - 80w (best, 55w - 65w), and a V8 X-Baby T6 0.2, 40w - 130w (best, 70w - 90w). I found the Q2 personally best at 55w which gave great flavour, and with the T6 i settled for 80w which also gave me good flavour but i did prefer the Q2. There was plenty of cloud production with both coils, but as i would expect the T6 produced more. Comparing the tank to the other siblings i found no noticeable difference in flavour, however there was reduced airflow on the X-Baby which i actually preferred as it was a lot smoother. With that smoother airflow and the advantage of not getting built up liquid and condensation escaping through a bottom airflow, in my opinion the X-Baby is the better tank.

G-PRIV 2 Specs:

Thread Connector: 510
Material: Zinc alloy
Mod Size: 85 x 52 x 27.3mm
Power Range: 1W-230W
Voltage Range:0.5V-9.0V
2 inch High Definition Screen
Screen lock button
8 Colour UI Display
Resistance Range: 0.1Ω-2.5Ω (VW) / 0.05Ω-2Ω (TC)
Temperature Range: 200°F--600°F/100°C--315°C
USB Balanced Charging
Firmware Upgradable
New User Friendly Interface
Colours: Black Red, Gold Black, Blue Black, Silver Black, Red Black, Purple Back, Rainbow (7-Colour)

G-PRIV 2 Vs G-PRIV

As i have never used the G-PRIV this comparison is based on the specifications of the 2 devices. The G-PRIV 2 has a smaller 2 inch (rather than a 2.4 inch) screen, however the higher PPI more than compensates for this. The G-Priv 2 also has a full colour screen. It is 14% smaller (with nearly all the difference in it's size being in it's length), making it more portable and ergonomically friendly. It has a more intuitive menu system, 10% lighter and 10W more power.

Using the G-PRIV-2

First to fit the batteries there is a small lip to get your nail under to pull the back panel off, this takes a bit of effort as the magnets are very strong but i like this as the panel is going nowhere unless you mean it to. On taking the back panel off i noticed it had a non metallic lining just in case you haven't noticed your wrap is slightly damaged (please don't use this as an excuse to knowingly use batteries with torn wraps, battery safety is paramount).
You don't need a user manual to use this device it is that user friendly. The almost universal 5 clicks to turn the device on and off, 3 clicks while the device is on locks and unlocks the fire button. Above the fire button is located a lock screen button pressing this down for 2 seconds locks and unlocks the screen, now on to the menu. When switching on the device you are on the main screen that gives all the usual information, on this screen you can simply adjust the wattage then vape, how easy is that. Going into the menu doesn't increase the rocket science, first top left of the screen press "menu" which takes you to the menu screen. The menu screen has just 4 options, wattage mode where you can set your pre-heat, TC mode where you can set your wire type, temperature, wattage and TCR settings. The third option takes you to the colour choices where you can choose what colour you want the text and graphics on the screen and finally the fourth option is the puff counter where you can do stuff like limit yourself to how many puffs before the device won't fire (that will catch on). Smok have always done user friendly interfaces but the menu system on the G-PRIV 2 as got to be the best to date.

Performance

I loved using the G-Priv 2 helped by the user interface. The device has no noticeable delay and performed consistently. The device didn't seem under-powered, but i didn't expect it to be as Smok produce excellent power devices. The device accommodates a 24.5mm tank flush with a 25mm tank having the slightest of overhangs which is so slight i would have no issue with it. The fire bar as usual was nice and responsive. Normally i would cover anything to do with the screen in the previous section of the review but after having issues with touch screen devices in the past (let's just say they have misbehaved), what would the performance of the touch screen on the G-PRIV 2 be like? Well i found it very responsive and had no issues whatsoever, it was just like using my phone (very reliable). The battery life was what i would expect from a duel battery device, no better or worse. If you do need to charge the batteries in the device it has balanced charging and the device is fully firmware upgrade-able

Very well made
High definition colour screen
Portable
Temperature control
Very user friendly interface
Touch Screen (which behaves and is responsive)
High Wattage
Comes with the X-Baby

Dislikes

No custom curves
Fingerprint Magnet (nothing really can be done about this)
The rainbow one i received is fine but like with the Procolor looking at pictures of the other colour options, there is a slight difference in colour shade between the device and the tank (i have the purple Procolor and the difference is minimal, and not a big issue)

Conclusion

Of course it's only my opinion but when i reviewed the Vaporesso Revenger a while ago i said it was the best device i had reviewed. I really liked the Procolor a lot but not where i was prepared to personally rate it above the Revenger. The G-PRIV 2 in my opinion is now the best device i have reviewed.

I would once again like to thank Ruby from Smok for supplying the G-PRIV 2 for review.

SMOK® Official Store: Shopping for All Best Vaping Kits, Mods, Atomizers, Coils, Accessories & more - Innovation keeps changing the vaping experience!

Reactions: stols001

Manfred Aabye

Dec 23, 2017
Chipset?

- UI not good
- Display is missing amps, volts
- Only 1ml liquid usable
- German, French, Spanish etc. not available
- No pocket calculator (coil, liquid)

Dear SMOK people, makes the software open source (github).

2017-12-19 10_40_03-SMOK2.png

Last edited:

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Chipset?

- UI not good
- Display is missing amps, volts
- Only 1ml liquid usable
- German, French, Spanish etc. not available
- No pocket calculator (coil, liquid)

Dear SMOK people, makes the software open source (github).

View attachment 707745
I take it you don't like Smok products, i review what is in front of me but i will go through the points you made

- UI not good: I found the UI very good i review a lot of different devices and the UI on the G-Priv 2 is very user friendly
- Display is missing amps, volts: Get in touch with Smok if i was you or upgrade the firmware i have the sample so if the amps and volts were not displaying properly i would expect that to be more likely on the device i have than the retail version and mine works fine.
- Only 1ml liquid usable: I take it you have the EU edition, you could get a 4ml glass but it's the same with any EU edition device from every manufacturer it's 2ml max.
- German, French, Spanish etc. not available: Totally agree all manuals should be multi languages
- No pocket calculator (coil, liquid): I don't own or have even used a single device that has a calculator.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread